Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went to the booth during Essen to see the prototype and learn how it works. In response I've heard, that there's a "evening party" on Saturday somewhere, to which I can get a ticket and see the game there. Yeah, sure. Going to a shady party in the evening after a busy day on the fair is exactly what I'm going to do.

You gotta have a lot of balls to come to the fair, announce the prototype and then say you won't show your game, unless someone visits your elitist teaparty. Maybe FFG could pull it off, but it would still leave some bad taste in my mouth. But this?

Guys, you've totally lost me. That's not how you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams

Boston
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad form. It's sad to see publishers totally not get it. The BG community for the most part is very well informed but open and usually excited for new things as well as being inclusive. Making something exclusive smacks of faux buzz generation...it's like having a long line outside a club that had 4 people in it once you get in. Not a great start...to bad too because I love the IP. Probably means the game is garbage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiro
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
So let me get this right the problem is they said the game will have a prototype at Essen(which they did) and in order to play the prototype you had to go the party which was open to anyone who wanted to get a ticket. So they set up a time for demos which alot of cons charge for and you didn't like the time so you are angry. A party that is so elitist anyone could go to it and for those who didn't have the money or were unable to make it to Essen they streamed it so everyone can see the games. They even have a video of the presentation from the party on Facebook. Yep sounds like they are totally being exclusive and elitist by literally letting everyone see what was there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mactireban wrote:
So let me get this right the problem is they said the game will have a prototype at Essen(which they did)

They didn't. It's pretty much the same as saying: "oh, you have this big fair and coincidentally we have our party at the same city, come by".

mactireban wrote:

and in order to play the prototype you had to go the party which was open to anyone who wanted to get a ticket. So they set up a time for demos which alot of cons charge for

Have you ever been at Essen Spiel? Demos, set up time, charged for? Geez. You've must have seen too many Apple Keynotes. It's a fair where everything is set up on the table and you can sit and talk/play/watch the damn thing.

mactireban wrote:
and you didn't like the time so you are angry.

Oh, I assure you, I'm not angry. It's them who want the sell the game, not me. I'm just disappointed that they chose such way to "promote". I can definitely live without learning more about the game, or playing it. In fact, I'm so burned that I'm definitely not going to support it now - if they didn't want to show it to Essen players, then I have reasons to believe, it's just not very good or at very early stage.

mactireban wrote:
A party that is so elitist anyone could go to it

Judging from the amount of photos, videos and forum activity for this game, either everyone were so flabbergasted that they didn't contribute in any way, they weren't allowed, there was nothing to comment/show anyway or noone really cared enough to go there. They video you mention shows like 5 people total sitting there.

mactireban wrote:

and for those who didn't have the money or were unable to make it to Essen they streamed it so everyone can see the games. They even have a video of the presentation from the party on Facebook. Yep sounds like they are totally being exclusive and elitist by literally letting everyone see what was there.

I don't know what their intentions were. I'm just discussing the outcome. The video shows a mockup/render of some minis, without no further information about the actual game whatsoever. FWIW they didn't tell me they are going to stream/record it. They could.

If you as a publisher want to act like you're the next Apple, feel free, it's your business, can't stop you or tell you what to do. Just don't bother coming to board game fair and raise expectations, if you have nothing to show to the general public right there and then, like all the other publishers do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
So in your opinion if a game is not shown at Essen you won't support it? If a publisher comes to Essen with other games they are not allowed to even mention a game they are not showing at the con itself? Seems a bit harsh but we are all entitled to our own opinions.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the publisher has something to show, but refuses to show it at the fair and asks me instead (without providing a good explanation) to visit a separate party outside of the fair, then yes, it's frowned upon, to say the least.

In other words: it would be perfectly fine if they announced before the fair - "sorry, we have nothing to show you for now, when it comes to Kung Fu Panda. Thanks for the support, hopefully we will be able to show something soon". But what they did instead was just plain annyoing.

To reiterate - Essen Spiel 2016 preview entry - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/193588/item/4805494#item4... was submitted for some reason. Take a look at the description - "Available for previewing at SPIEL 2016 ahead of its 2017 release date. ". That simply turned out to be false. Now, I'm not sure who is to blame here, maybe just some miscommunication.

I know that Tom Vasel wanted to check the game, too (he mentioned this in one of his videos). I wonder what he was told, if he ever even found the right booth, that was showing no sign of Kung Fu Panda whatsoever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud VERBEEREN
Belgium
Sint-Agatha-Berchem / Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange indeed.
Don't think I would have bothered paying to see...to see what exactly?

So anyone got a real glimpse of this game? Realy like the movies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Birch
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you feel upset about not getting to see the game, the party was a FREE event paid for by us there was no charge to attend, with free drinks as a gift to those who could come. There were about 80 people at the event (I know as I paid for their drinks!) and the demo ran through the night so people could play and try the game.

The prototype wasn't in a suitable condition to show on the stand so we decided to show it only at the event - otherwise people tend to take pictures and assume that is how the game will look (surprising as that might be, it's happened before with other companies so we don't show anything on an exhibition stand unless it's ready).

The event was never elitist, which is why we gave tickets to everyone who visited our booth and gave away 500 euro's of free drinks at our cost as a thanks to our community.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then I appreciate the good intentions, but it looks like this kind of "solution" can backfire. It certainly backfired for me.

Also, I find it hard to understand that the prototype was not in a suitable condition for the fair, but you've shown it at the event. For some reason, there's absolutely no photos of it, so either:

a) there was no prototype or nothing to take picture of, really
b) people at the event weren't taking pictures because they didn't feel like it
d) people at the event were told not to take pictures

Which one was it, exactly?

I also find it hard to believe, that people taking the photos of the prototype and posting them online do not understand the simple concept of a prototype. During Essen, I've seen multitude of publishers with their prototypes, preproduction copies and other stages of development. I mean cmon, we're not mindless sheep. If someone is at the fair, chances are, he is quite skilled at making educated guesses and purchases.

In fact, there's plethora of games here at BGG with photos of early day concepts and prototypes. Heck, just today I've seen a photo of a prototype of new Cathala's game (Yamatai).

So that kind of explanation feels weird to me, unless there's really something big at stake, like a possibility of license withdrawal (from the big guns), because of perceived "brand image loss" or whatever.

Look, you could've just said: "sorry man, we've wanted to show it to you during the fair, but it's just not ready yet and we are not comfortable with showing it at this stage". But I didn't hear that. I were just given a leaflet for "a party" with a vague promise that I will "see something there". I would be somewhat disappointed, but I would totally understand. "it's done when it's done". But you're not Apple (yet) to advertise things months ahead, while not showing anything. The end result is not excitement and hype, it's just annoyance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.