Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I haven’t played the 2016 Vintage yet but I’ve worked through all the rules and played around solo for half a game. I know this isn’t a lot of experience but I have played the 2010 version a number of times and am typically pretty good at predicting what my opinions of a game play will be just from reading the rules.

I like the 2016 version but I think a hybrid between the 2010 and 2016 version would be best. Using the 2016 version as a baseline, I wish that they had left the wine qualities track that adjusted with each vintage tile. I also wish the initial vineyard wasn’t free, as this greatly diminishes the value of the lower cost vineyards. I’m thinking about making a mini board that would lay over the 2016 vintage board. IT would cover the area for the cellars, ecologists, and farmers, and would bring back the wine qualities track. I might make a second one that would also bring back the banking track.

I think a blend between the best features of each version would make the perfect Vinhos experience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That'd be cool to see. I'm trying to get a few more games in comparing the two, but I find it fascinating to see how the changes greatly affect the game.

Honestly, there's not much I prefer in the 2016 edition beyond just seeing why I like Vital's games compared to almost every other Euro on the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Davis
msg tools
Disclaimer: I have not played the 2010 rules version yet.

Having said that, I love the idea of the bank, and after reading the rules on how that works I know I would also love it in practice. At the same time, I really like how the Magnate action/multiplier tiles work in the 2016 version, as well as having to earn barrels throughout the game. I think I would have loved to see a version that blended those things together into one game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try placing the tiles in the 2010 version, although I think the actions that are baked in and how you have to bounce between them keep the balance and value of those spots. Same with the multipliers. But might be fun to try for a wild ride one time.

The magnate tiles are fun in 2016 and probably the best part but, like most of 2016, I find they're too easy to get and have no sense of accomplishment like the 2010 equivalent, at least on first blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Shillington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.
badge
"You wouldn't worry half as much about what other people thought of you if you realized how rarely they actually did."
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the bank and how it worked within the game was one of the most interesting aspects of the 2010 version. It really made money tight for players and required you to plan ahead or waste one of your few actions going back to the bank to get more money. Seeing that its gone from the new version is pretty disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:
For me the bank and how it worked within the game was one of the most interesting aspects of the 2010 version. It really made money tight for players and required you to plan ahead or waste one of your few actions going back to the bank to get more money. Seeing that its gone from the new version is pretty disappointing.

It is, but since the 2010 version still exists, it's not a big deal. If you want a medium-weight "play slightly more efficiently than everyone else euro" then the 2016 is there, in addition to the heavy, tight, and mind-crunching goodness of the 2010 edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
troybowers wrote:

I have played 2010 numerous times and have only played 2016 solo twice.

I can say the most fiddly party of 2010 for me was the bank and am happy to see it go. Money is still tight, but not quite as much. Big difference is now I am "wasting" actions selling wine to get money. No more "divesting." Further because I am selling more wine for money and because you only get 1 barrel back during "maintenance," barrels have become the tight resource. I feel even more so than before.

Barrels are needed for exports and for magnate multipliers and for selling wine.

Plus selling that wine means you need even more wine to throw away for magnate tiles, which means you need more estates, which means you need more money.

As for the fair, I liked the fair before, but now it is so much easier to explain. Deciding when to go still seems important. However, I really need to play with 4 players before I can make a reasoned assessment of the fair dynamics in gameplay. (*edit - This is because in solo play you know exactly what "Lacerda" will do at the fair and can plan accordingly to win at the fair every time *)

I'll see how much more I like it when I play with more players, but at this point I can't be happier with the 2016 version. Still a lot to think about without the fiddly nature of the bank and fair.

Regardless, Lacerda has done it again, and has now officially become my favorite designer.

-Kyle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One_Wolf wrote:

As for the fair, I liked the fair before, but now it is so much easier to explain. Deciding when to go still seems important. However, I really need to play with 4 players before I can make a reasoned assessment of the fair dynamics in gameplay. (*edit - This is because in solo play you know exactly what "Lacerda" will do at the fair and can plan accordingly to win at the fair every time *)

I'll see how much more I like it when I play with more players, but at this point I can't be happier with the 2016 version. Still a lot to think about without the fiddly nature of the bank and fair.

I'm with you. I was fine with the fair before but it is a little convoluted and was often the hardest thing to explain for some players. Now, the fair is intuitive but I don't like that the wine traits track is gone. I really like how in the 2010 version certain qualities became more valuable than others which in turn varied the value of the wine experts and added more strategy to the game. In the 2016 version it's much more randomized and certain players will get lucky during the fairs because they happen to have the right wine experts. I guess you could mitigate this by making future vintage tiles open knowledge but I still don't like this as much as the track.

I liked the banking track but am not too upset that it's gone in the 2016 version. I think what I'll probably do is have the first vinyard still cost bagos and still use the wine feature track. Everything else will be the 2016 version as I think it's much more accessible to new and casual players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sae
msg tools
Played both the 2016 and 2010 vintage once with the same group.
All 4 players prefer the new 2010 version (We have not played the classic one before)
The fair works so much better in the 2010 version and the fixed scoring magnate are also far better than the random appearance in 2016
We also like paying for the initial vineyard and thus affecting initial order.

Banking is ok but I agree it would be a good hybrid to remove the bank as in 2016 version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Only played 2016 twice (and original never). Love the game and am hooked. I read through the rules of the 2010 version and it's frankly a bit too wonky for me. I know it's popular and its the reason the 2016 version was possible.

That being said - first of all the 2010 version is still intact within the 2016 version's box. You don't concede anything by buying the 2016 over the 2010 - it's all good. If you want to play the 2010 it's all there - just better components.

If you wished there was a blend between 2010 and 2016 then just blend it yourself. Nobody says you can't. Give it a whirl and let us know how it went!

I have not tried any of the expansions yet, but they look like they can really tighten the game up to the point it's a near-heavy game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.