7 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » General

Subject: Laundry is Overpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love the idea of finding an interesting item in the laundry, but after two games with the laundry room, I disagree with the way it appears to be implemented.

The Tile says you can Discard an item, while in this room, to take an item from the discard pile. We've played that you can then examine the discard pile, and take whatever item you want.

I think, either you should only be able to do this once, and then you place your player token on that room, or, when doing discarding an item and taking one from the discard, you must shuffle the discard and pick one randomly.... OR/and... specific items, when used, aren't able to be retrieved, because they are now useless... Like Dynamite, Med Kit, etc.

What do you guys think?

So far, it seems the laundry room gives a little too much opportunity. In the last game we played, one strategy was, kill the traitor, then everyone go into the laundry room, and continually use and discard the medkit to keep their health up from the lingering effects of the haunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
In most games of Betrayal that I have played there has never been an items discarded, its rare that it even happens. So I think the ability of the room will only be used in rare instances, and rarely with such effect that you had in your game. Your group got lucky with it, doesn't mean that it breaks the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Ross
United States
California
flag msg tools
Single-use items get discarded, don't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rootyb wrote:

Yep, and then if you simply walk to the laundry, you can have that item again. How is that not easily exploitable, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
msg tools
Polioliolio wrote:
rootyb wrote:

Yep, and then if you simply walk to the laundry, you can have that item again. How is that not easily exploitable, right?

Suppose you could just house rule it. Once a discarded item reused once, it's removed from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Colorado springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
So far, it seems the laundry room gives a little too much opportunity. In the last game we played, one strategy was, kill the traitor, then everyone go into the laundry room, and continually use and discard the medkit to keep their health up from the lingering effects of the haunt.

Since you can only take an item from the discard pile IF you discard an item you already have... How did you do that? Did everyone have enough item cards to let you keep discarding and using throughout the rest of the haunt?

Whenever I play, items are enough of a rarity that I don't see how this could be done for very long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quietwulf wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:
rootyb wrote:

Suppose you could just house rule it. Once a discarded item reused once, it's removed from the game.

Good call!

RckmRobot wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:

Since you can only take an item from the discard pile IF you discard an item you already have... How did you do that? Did everyone have enough item cards to let you keep discarding and using throughout the rest of the haunt?

Whenever I play, items are enough of a rarity that I don't see how this could be done for very long.

Actually, I don't know if the expansion influences things, but the last few games we played, there there have been a lot of items at the table. Last game, the guy to my right had at least 6 to 8 items, no joke. The longer a game goes on, the more items will be on the table too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.