$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
32.7% of Goal | 28 Days Left

Support:

Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
Hi everyone,

The continuation of the 1942 May/June turn.

Weather is a 7:

CW tries to ground strike on the western front and loose a decent bomber while their brand new Typhoon is aborted. The Luftwaffe rules the sky. Despite this the french attack south of the failed CW airstrikes. 2-1 blitz attack +2 scores a !/B taking back the hex from Germany.

In the East the USSR reforms its line into a zoc line and flips back some essential units which had been ground striked.

Axis: The Germans assault in the West against the French 2-1 +2 assault 1-2 which inflicts heavy losses on the French, but does not take the hex. During the air battle prior to this battle one of the best Stuka's in the west is shot down.

In the east the Germans have better odds and two 3-1 +1 blitzes score a 1/R and */1B. Allowing for some small advances but nothing decisive. The Russian center is rapidly collapsing though, however there is nothing to gain on that front besides lots of space.

Italy fails ground strikes near Suez.

Japan advances in India, setting up for an attack on Delhi next impulse if the weather is good enough.

Allies: Weather 9

USSR retreats their forces from the center, leaving Timoshenko, a corps and a division behind in Voronezh. Timoshenko had given support to an attacked stack earlier and is now unable to retreat together with the other troops.

CW bomb Hamburg scoring 1 point. Another attempt at a ground strike sees a fighter killed and the Typhoon aborted once more. The CW have so many HQ's in France that they can flip back fighters and bombers every impulse. They also reinforce Delhi with a rail move.

Axis: The surrounded city of Voronezh sees the annihilation of Timoshenko and his men. 4-1 +2 assault !/2S as a result.

In the Northern section of the front there is a massive partisan hunt going on. The Partisans had killed an SS inf division which must be revenged. Zoya K is attacked with a 5-1 +1 blitz, a 1 would result in a armored corps lost however the 9 makes this fear or hope depending on your side disappear.

A discussion arises whether this partisan HQ counts for a bp gained during production. Rules seems to say it does, since it counts as a Russian unit for all purposes (unlike other partisans). Anyone wants to shed their light on this?

Italy passes, no fleet no useful units at an active front so saving oil is the best they can do.

Japan assaults Delhi 3-1 +2 assault !/2S takes the city. I took a risk here since I could have lost my HQ and an mechanized corps, which would have doomed the conquest of India. However if I didn't take Delhi this turn it would only get harder and become to time consuming. Fortune favors the brave seems to be appropriate here.

India at this point:

Allis: Weather becomes a 5.

USSR is in full retreat on the central front their army disappearing into the Tundra.

CW, an Indian mechanizd corps moves to Bombay. Despite a few cities in the North only Bombay and Calcutta remain as strongholds in CW hands. However Mountbatten arrives next turn together with a territorial.

The Cw also shoot down a German fighter and despite German anti-air they flip a corps on the french border. Finally the CW air force is successful in the west.

The French see a 3 stack of Germans with 2 flipped units and decide to attack once more. A 2,5 assault becomes an 2-1 +2 they role a 1 and loose a unit. Having their entire army flipped.

Axis:

Germany sees a perfect opportunity to drive the flipped french back. A 1-1 Blitz +4 (3 flipped +1 for the mechanized division) sees a !/B. No kills however we can advance once more into Belgium. Gaining a hex with a good river defense despite being surrounded from 4 sides. In the East the remaining unflipped units in the center advance a bit.

Japan sensing that the USA is jealous of the amazing achievements that the Empire scores decides to sail some defending units to the Islands. A white print garrison and a div are send to Truk.

A marine is send to the sea ready to rebase to Cylon. An art and division reinforce India.

Allies: Weather 3.

CW send out their fleet. France takes a combined to stabilize their front. No attacks since most of their units are flipped. USSR take a combined as well. With such a long turn and most forces flipped there is not much left to do.

Axis:

Italy passes.
Germany takes a combined but the subs fail to find undefended convoys. They also reinforce the western front, which had advanced a bit, in preparation for the coming summer.

Japan had captured some stored oil in Delhi despite efforts of the CW to use it all and even share it with other nations. Now they capture even more oil in the city adjacent to Delhi. This can compensate a bit for the recent oil embargo.

Turn ends at this point.

Partisan role: 8 however no Greek or Indian partisans.
US entry: The USA tries to declare war on Germany with a 1-4 and succeed! Resulting in 3 tension.

Production note: We've started work on the Dora gun, which should allow for some success on the western front next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
re Axis: The surrounded city of Voronezh sees the annihilation of Timoshenko and his men. 4-1 +2 assault !/2S as a result.

did you consider retreating the 3rd unit (HQ I assume) so you could kill it vs just send to track shattered?

same for the attack in france would a retreat of the units have eliminated any due to no place to retreat?

Just curious, it is rare it is worth converting B to R but was wonder the situation here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think you get the bonus BP for Zoya but I admit it can be questioned here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bensdorp
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
cfinchjr2 wrote:
re Axis: The surrounded city of Voronezh sees the annihilation of Timoshenko and his men. 4-1 +2 assault !/2S as a result.

did you consider retreating the 3rd unit (HQ I assume) so you could kill it vs just send to track shattered?

same for the attack in france would a retreat of the units have eliminated any due to no place to retreat?

Just curious, it is rare it is worth converting B to R but was wonder the situation here!

The city was completely surrounded, so with no retreat options a shatterd united is destroyed instead of going to the spiral. At least thats how we played it.

In france the allies had a double line but not everywhere 2 corpses so there were retreat options. However given the absurd amount of allied HQ on such a small front they might have flipped them back so retreating was not that good of an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Finch
United States
Pearl River
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The city was completely surrounded, so with no retreat options a shatterd united is destroyed instead of going to the spiral. At least thats how we played it.

as i understand it this is correct as well, didn't realize surrounded ;-)

france i figured retreat but with so many units around wasn't sure

keep the reports coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.