8 Posts

Storm over Arnhem» Forums » Variants

Subject: Storm over Arnhem Updated German OOB? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Kirchner

Pennsylvania
msg tools
After doing a lot of research on the units involved I found out that the German OOB is wrong or mislabeled in many cases.

Does anyone have an updated OOB with the correct units?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon1944 wrote:
After doing a lot of research on the units involved I found out that the German OOB is wrong or mislabeled in many cases.
Says Napoleon 1944. Oh the irony!

Sorry couldn't resist. Just a harmless joke.

While waiting for someone else to answer, I would be genuinely interested in your findings so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in seeing what is mislabled as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Me four.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me five!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cundiff
United States
St. Bernice
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, I too would be interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Waller
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game does a rather good job of portraying what is a pretty jumbled German OOB. There are some additional sources since 1981 when the game came out but its hard to see why they would be meaningful to the game as a simulation.

A rather good OOB is given here

The following quotes from Feldgrau.net are also of interest:

Quote:
This taken from Chest Wilmot's 'The Struggle for Europe' (An oldie but a goldie!). The Oob Represents thenline up once the airborne forces had landed. 30 Corps with Gds Armd Div, 50th & 43 Inf Div's, 8th Armd Bde & 101st US Abn Div. 8 cCorps with 11th Armd & 3rd Ind Div's, 12 Corps with 7th Armd, 15th & 53rd Inf Div's, 4th Armd Bde. 1 Abn Corps with 1st Br Abn, 82nd US Abn & 52nd Air Portable Div. On the German side at the Start immediatelt in front of 30 Corp defending both side of the single highway leading north was an 'ad-hoc' unit called Div 'Walther' which was composed of 2 battalions of Para's from 6th Fj Regt, one Bn each from 9th & 10th SS Pz Div's & a Penal Battalion (No.6? -). To it left & right were 85th Ind Div & 7th Fj Div Respectively. In the interior/rear were 84th Inf Div, 406th Inf Div and the remnents of 9th & 10th SS Pz Div's.]

and

Quote:
In addition to the 9th and 10th SS Panzer Divisions, other armored elements in the battle included the 280th StuG Brigade (about 10 mixed StuG IIIs and StuH IIIs), 506th sch. Panzer Abteilung (Tiger IIs), sch. Panzerjaeger Abt. 559 with some Jagdpanthers, the 107th Panzer Brigade (with 33 Panthers and 11 Panzer IV/70s), Flammpanzer Kompanie 224 (with old French Char B2s converted to flamethrower tanks), Panzer Ersatz und Ausbildung Rgt. 6 "Bielefeld" (with a mix of Panzer IIIs and Panzer IVs), and, finally the Hermann Goering E&A Abteilung with at least three Panthers.

SS Pz. Rgt. 9 had no tanks whatsoever. SS Pz. Rgt. 10 had some Panzer IVs, but no SS-crewed Panthers were engaged at Market-Garden.

More about the Hohenstauffen Division: in addition to the Panzer regiment having no tanks, the artillery regiment had no guns--either towed or SP. Paul Graebner's SS Pz. Aufkl. Abt. 9 had about thirty AFVs, mostly halftracks with some four-wheeled and eight-wheeled armored cars--but no Pumas (the only SS outfit to use Pumas was SS Pz. Aufkl. Abt. 1 of the LSSAH Division). Graebner's personal vehicle was a captured Humber scout car or armored car--not sure which.

Both of the panzergrenadier regiments were truck-borne--no halftrack APCs left. The engineer battalion had a few halftracks, but the panzerjaeger abteilung had zero vehicles or guns. And the flak abteilung had just four 20mm SP cannons (single-barrel). It may have had a couple of 88s, but this is not clear.

Oh, yeah--sch. Pz. Kp. Hummel had just two Tiger Is, and both of them were used in the final assault on Col. Frost's position on the north end of the Arnhem bridge.
This quote from unsourced material

If you go through the link and the above you will see the game is not completist as regards the OOB but it does cover all the main bases. The STUGS for example can come into play eventhough in reality the German command held them in reserve. The Tigers are there as are the Mark III's and the designer notes credibly explain why no Mark IV's are in the game. The infantry composition of the kampfgruppes, SS regular and training regiments is simplified but shouldnt make a huge difference in their punching power. The truth is that some units were very good, others bad and some in the middle.

So Napoleon - like all the others above, I am curious as to what your beef is with the OOB of this admittedly 'lite' game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.