Hide
8 Posts

Outlive» Forums » General

Subject: Any 2016 Essen Demos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Black
msg tools
I was wondering if anybody had the chance to demo it at essen this year? thoughts or a review? I'm super excited to get this game! It looks amazing. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martijn
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey there,
sought out the demo at Hall 3-O111 and played with two other guys. We just had a quick demo of three rounds and then we had to leave after that - we didn't even tally points at the end, but I think I got a good idea of how the game works and plays out (which was my main interest when going there).

The explanation of the different aspects of the game was rather long to my taste, regarding that gameplay itself is very easy to manage. However, once you managed that hurdle - this game is a real beauty. Highly thematic and you really get a feeling for having to fight a hostile environment and other people who survived the apocalypse and want to steal your hard earned stuff.

Luckily, I got a hunting bonus right from the start and had plenty of food in the first round, but the recruited survivors quickly said goodbye when I realized I had failed to get to the dam early enough for water that I needed too - my fellow players sat in their bunkers and sipped clean water, while my remaining survivors chewed on "radiated tiger schnitzel"... on the following day I had learned my lesson and sent my survivors to the dam early in the morning - still enough water there...but the other groups of survivors saw their chance for a raid...
Instead of writing a long narrative here, I'll just sum it up quickly. I am super happy to have backed this, the game is very entertaining and easy to play once you get the different phases down (day and night and all the things you must watch out for). For me, this game is at least 8/10 from what I played and I definitely don't expect it to get worse due to us playing with the wooden bits and cardboard chits instead of the minis that are included in the KS-Version. Great components, great mechanics and theme - you have every right to be excited - the game's awesome!

Cheers!

Edit: I also played "Armageddon" from Queen Games and I liked Outlive a lot better, for what it's worth. (You might say I'm biased - I don't care )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I walked by their booth on Thursday around noon and took a look at some people playing the game.

I must admit I was slightly disappointed with the main board and player boards. I don't know if these were proto/demo components and the final product will be different.

The art looked very nice though.

The people playing also looked kinda bored, which worried me. Although they might have been just tired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
martijn
Germany
flag msg tools
Mathieu told us that those were prototypes. The quality of the finished version is higher (it was sub-par for the demo, but which prototype isn't?).
The components (cards, resources, chits) were well produced and could easily be in the final version.

I can't tell about the group you watched ^^ my fellow players hadn't known the game and were interested whether there was a late PM and if they could still back the game. It can go both ways I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Black
msg tools
Thanks so much for getting back to me! I backed the collector's edition of this one. I'm glad to hear you had a great experience with it. This is probably the one kickstarter I've backed that I've been drooling over and anticipating the most this year! And it even felt like it came out of the blue. Certainly a nice surprise! The theme, the artwork, the nice components, and the mechanisms all seem to be spot on. Also, fallout is a great video game and outlive reminds me of it. Anyway, thanks again! Can't wait to get my copy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in here to hear some first impressions also. Just saw pictures of it on display. After everything I've read and seen, I'm confident that this will be a solid game... I'm still just trying to decide if it will be great enough to justify making the jump to the fancy plastic when the pledge manager comes out. It's hard to know just how interesting that management of your personal shelter is and how much variety there seems to be.

Hope some more people share their experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I played it at Essen and loved it. I instantly went over to their late pledge counter and backed it for all the expansions. To give that some context, I bought 5 games at Essen, three big box and 2 small box. So I'm not someone who buys everything he sees.

Re the comment on the poor components, they were indeed prototype counters being used at Essen. The staff described what will be different in the final version and they certainly sound better.

I make no secret of worker placements being my favourite type of game, but this one is really clever. The 'Worker-Displacement' as they call it creates an interesting trade off between a small, safe action now or a potentially larger action later, but with some risk of you being attacked in the meanwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Black
msg tools
Thanks for taking time to comment! Between this game and Anachrony, I'm really excited for next year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.