15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games where you can chose cooperation or competition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aske Christiansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I'm looking for games where the victory conditions allow you to choose between playing the game as co-op or as competition, in a way that allows you to change course during the game.

Or put another way: Games that allows you to win both collectively and individually, or makes the individual victory so hard, that your best bet is to cooperate.

Preferably strategic games/euros, but please share anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Only one I can think of is Red November. The main goal is cooperative as players try to survive on a submarine until help arrives, but there is an item that can allow an individual to escape on their own, leaving the rest to fend for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Negotiation games in general allow you to co-operate, but the vast majority still have only one winner at the end, and I can't think of any where there is a collective victory (ie everyone wins). I think in Cosmic Encounter you can share wins with specific allies and Dune might allow for this too, but having not actually played either I am not 100% sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of something that 100% qualifies, but Dead of Winter at least has players trying to win together while trying to win with the secret goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Smith

Colchester
essex
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Defenders of the Realm can be played so that the heroes get rewarded for the hard work during the game.
You also get a perk that can be used in game while you all help defend the capital city from the encroaching generals.

Edit . Played Archipelago a while ago and I remember having a secret agenda card in it while we all tried to succeed together.
We lost the coop in the end but it was fun and will tick the euro style box for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say Dead of Winter sort of.

A Touch of Evil has a competitive and coop play, but you know that going in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aske Christiansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thanks! Archipelago and Dead of Winter seems to be pretty on the spot.I'll try them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I can't think of anything that really matches as not really the type of game you are looking for but ones I know with competitive and/or co-op functions are cutthroat caverns and I think I remember reading that the new one called gloomhaven might encourage you to work together at times yet you play to win also.

Room 25 allows either co-op, hidden traitor or fully competitive mode too, and there's a little of a puzzle to it.

Can't think of anymore at the mo though as a little brain dead lol!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Orblin wrote:
Thanks! Archipelago and Dead of Winter seems to be pretty on the spot.I'll try them out.

The defining quality of both those games is the traitor element and if someone draws into the traitor role they have a significantly easier time winning than the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy -- I haven't played since 1979, but as I recall, the winner is the player or allied players who possess the majority of the supply centers. Two or more players can agree to combine their totals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Groves
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A game with a similar twist is Cutthroat Caverns. While you are all playing competitively to get the most points, collectively you need to defeat the monsters which requires some cooperation. If the players spend too much time screwing each other over the monsters will not be defeated and the game wins; making all the players losers (well, they may already be "Losers" but you get the point). It's not a serious game and has plenty of "take that" but it can be funny seeing players getting the balance of competition and cooperation off-kilter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Realm! Definitely not a Euro, though.
You'll often find you need to cooperate to beat certain monsters or just to get anywhere interesting, especially in the beginning. But you can also decide to attack other players when the opportunity is right. Ultimately, everyone's out for their own.

There isn't really a co-op victory condition; everyone scores victory points according to the secret priorities chosen at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any game that either has alliance rules or does not explicitly forbid them.

From what I played:
Eclipse
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Runewars
Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For something completely different, Mino & Tauri?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Room 25: Season 2 has both modes. I guess you could play w/ the hidden guard/traitor mode and leave it up to them whether or not to actually expose themselves. That'll give you that switch mid-stream sort of concept. Technically though if the players escape the guard player loses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.