Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely misread rules, but I've discovered that there is a downside to knowing so many games: you tend to assume things not written in rules.

Well, seeing as how this is a deckbuilder, I expected that the 'draw/discard' at the end of your turn means that you can discard and draw up to 6 - such as discarding Madness cards or anything else you may not find useful.

But no! You CANNOT discard without doing one of the actions!

Oh how this subtle change made a difference It really is possible to end up with 6 madness in hand now.

Awesome game, really wonderful by the way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dang!

Yeah, I love this game but it is SO DIFFICULT! I usually play just two players with my wife and we think it might play better with 2 people if, as Descent allows you an extra turn to heal or attack when only playing with 2, maybe it would be a bit more "balanced" if you could automatically heal a madness once per turned or draw an extra card or something when only playing with 2. Anyways, keep fighting! I hear there is an awesome expansion planned for 2017!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
Media & Public Relations at IELLO France
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the designer (amongst others), the game is easier to win with fewer players… whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's awesome to hear! I've played one game with five wizards and the reason it seemed easier to me was because you had a lot more cards to choose from when using Telepathy. I would love to give my wife a reason to play this with me again. Would you mind expaining how it is easier? Thank you so much!!!! I love your game!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Frost Mirror is awesome!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, comparing 2-player vs 5-player is really interesting balance wise.

Telepathy is huge in 5-player game. The chance of one of the players having a combination you need to defeat the curse is much bigger than in a 2-player game. 2-player can be punishing if you cannot immediately defeat curses, it causes a snowball effect that is almost impossible to recover from.

I actually think that 4-player is easiest, as you can have each player focus on a single element and destroying the 'excess' cards from their hands that they don't need.

But 2-player-game has it's advantages, as the playergroup can use a useful spell every 2 turns technically rather than 4 or 5 turns as long as they are able to somehow avoid the snowballing of curses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mb
I think the idea behind the two player game being easier is that you will have 2-3 turns per monster, whereas in a five player game you will only have one turn per monster and with any player count in between you will have 1-2 turns. So if you are the first player when the first monster gets flipped up, you have three turns to do whatever you can to remove the curses and your partner will have two turns. You actually get to build your deck a bit or invest in spells while still dealing with the same monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Malo
United States
Lake Park
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game!

Having said that though. I've played 7 times, with differing player counts.....lost every single time.

I know people that have beaten this game, and maybe I haven't played it enough yet. But, all who I know personally that have played this game, myself included, think this is the HARDEST cop-op game I/they've played.

And this is coming from a guy who loves to play Ghost Stories on Hell mode.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.