Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
whistle News?
mr kipling wrote:
...recent good news is that the US Chess Federation has woken up to its duty to defend the US champion - and other women players - as reported by the UK's Daily Telegraph:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/13/us-chess-federati...

A good job they didn't leave all the heavy lifting to a Russian: former world champion Gary Kasparov:
https://mobile.twitter.com/kasparov63/status/784179701224992...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for her, and shame on Iran. But why is there a separate men's and women's tournament for a game that has nothing to do with any physical characteristics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Statalyzer wrote:
Good for her, and shame on Iran. But why is there a separate men's and women's tournament for a game that has nothing to do with any physical characteristics?
You're playing CHESS when all of a sudden SHE 'done-gone' "Feudal"-logic on YOUS! SEXY-PLOY-PLY
\surprise Did you KNOW how 'HARD' it gets "going up" against thems "nekkid"?!?
/kiss\ ~"that's WHAT she SAYS she HOPED!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
This seems sexist. I think women have proven themselves more than capable of handling Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:

There is not a separate men's tournament. The women's tournament is designed to encourage women to play a game that is traditionally played by men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
CoreyClark wrote:
This seems sexist. I think women have proven themselves more than capable of handling Go.

Well, LW's response seems pretty convincing. And anyway, is there necessarily anything inconsistent about (1) being utterly committed to equality of treatment for men and women, and at the same time (2) regarding as simplistic the assumption that there are no fundamental differences in aptitude beyond the purely physical?

As for the case of Go, is "capability of handling" (whatever exactly we are to understand by that) quite the point? Have female Go players proved in general to be as successful competitively as their male counterparts? Just asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"(2) regarding as simplistic the assumption that there are no fundamental differences in aptitude beyond the purely physical?"

If it weren't for your indirect writing style, I'd strongly suspect that you are about to get thought policed.

s

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Heath-Renn
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Considering the question, my mind wanders innocently to Olympic shooting (though it is more physically demanding than chess). To quote USA Shooting:

Quote:
At the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, female competitor Shan Zhang of China became the Olympic gold medalist that year in mixed-event skeet competition. Over two days of competition she produced a score of 373 out of 375, a new Olympic and world record. She also became the first woman to topple the men in the history of the Olympic Games' shooting competition. Since that time, no mixed events have been held in an Olympic shooting competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
SDawg wrote:
"(2) regarding as simplistic the assumption that there are no fundamental differences in aptitude beyond the purely physical?"

If it weren't for your indirect writing style, I'd strongly suspect that you are about to get thought policed.

s

Did you mean:

A) If it weren't for my style you would suspect that I was etc.

or

B) You suspect that, if it weren't for my style, I was etc.

For my part, I suspect you meant (B). But you said (A).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Statalyzer wrote:
But why is there a separate men's and women's tournament for a game that has nothing to do with any physical characteristics?

For whatever reason, Chess is an incredibly male dominated hobby. Many chess clubs, including my own, don't have a single female member. The highest rated women chess player ranks #106 overall. The second highest ranks #310. Many are of the opinion that women's chess is therefore something that ought to be explicitly promoted. I'm not saying I agree with them. Just trying to explain the rationale.

It seem pedantic to point it out but FWIW there aren't seperate men's tournaments and women's tournaments. There are open tournaments and women's tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Did you mean:

or

For my part, I suspect you meant (B). But you said (A)."

Your pedantry is less interesting than you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
SDawg wrote:
"Did you mean:

or

For my part, I suspect you meant (B). But you said (A)."

Your pedantry is less interesting than you think.

Well, I could reply that I don't think my pedantry is interesting at all, because I don't concede that it's pedantry. But that really would be pedantry, so I won't.

More seriously, I've got used to the idea that there are a whole lot of people (especially online) who are irritated by the way I write. Nobody ever spells out the exact charge, but it's probably along the lines of: I deal in pretentious long words (long words are always pretentious, apparently) and obscure, convoluted sentence structures (i.e. anything with more than one subordinate clause). In contrast, there are all these other people, writing in simple, clear, snappy prose-for-our-times, showing me up for the ponderous old dinosaur that I am.

All this would be fair enough if the two opposing styles really did function as described. But they don't. On my side of things, I just think it's very important in anything resembling a serious discussion to try and say exactly what you mean - and that may entail a bit of reciprocal effort on the part of your reader / listener. If you're the kind of person who automatically labels that as pedantry, then all you're telling me is that you don't think distinctions are important - or at least that the only distinctions that are important are the ones you think are. As for long words ... well, take "convoluted" in the preceding paragraph. Some would call it pompous / ponderous / pretentious, but actually it's the precise expression of my meaning, and I'd like to see anyone get equally close in less than nine letters. Anyway, the point is that I made a serious point, and you attacked not the idea expressed, but my style - and attacked it on emotional rather than rational grounds. Basically, in other words, it just pissed you off. And then, when I defended myself in rational terms by pointing out that if what I did was pedantry then pedantry was something you could do with a bit more of, it pissed you off even more. Well that's your problem, not mine, but for what it's worth I don't contribute to these discussions in order to be thought interesting. When I say something, it's because I consider it the appropriate next move in a conversational exchange - which is what I thought everyone was up to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
flahr wrote:
Considering the question, my mind wanders innocently to Olympic shooting (though it is more physically demanding than chess). To quote USA Shooting:

Quote:
At the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, female competitor Shan Zhang of China became the Olympic gold medalist that year in mixed-event skeet competition. Over two days of competition she produced a score of 373 out of 375, a new Olympic and world record. She also became the first woman to topple the men in the history of the Olympic Games' shooting competition. Since that time, no mixed events have been held in an Olympic shooting competition.

Okay. But assuming one accepts all this in good faith as true (I admit I wasn't aware of it), where does that leave the discussion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
wow REITER"I"RATE within IRAN then "GAYES" were "persona sans exista!" by their LAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
mocko wrote:
flahr wrote:

Quote:

Okay. But assuming one accepts all this in good faith as true (I admit I wasn't aware of it), where does that leave the discussion?

I'm not sure, but men may have a superior ability to actually consider Chess important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
I'm not sure, but men may have a superior ability to actually consider Chess important.

That's what I've always thought. The human brain has enough plasticity to become good at whichever task it finds appealing or relevant to survival. Women could be at least as good at chess as men if they actually felt drawn to it to the same extent as men. Social issues play some role as well, but I don't think they are the main factor in developed countries. And, anyway, societal roles are determined by our brains as much as the other way round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Quote:

Or maybe they have the superior ability to see that Chess is not as important as the more sophisticated games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
Quote:

Or maybe they have the superior ability to see that Chess is not as important as the more sophisticated games

I assume you mean women, but I can't quite see them flocking around 'the more sophisticated games' either. I cannot quite measure the extent of their participation in the noble art of inventing abstracts, but on the face of it it borders on non-existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Clark
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
christianF wrote:

I assume you mean women, but I can't quite see them flocking around 'the more sophisticated games' either. I cannot quite measure the extent of their participation in the noble art of inventing abstracts, but on the face of it it borders on non-existence.

Then who the heck have Nestor and Nick Bentley been referring to all this time in their rule pages? Of course women are playing LOT, Carnivores and Catchup. This is implied right in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
CoreyClark wrote:
[...] Chess is not as important as the more sophisticated games

Corey, I know you're not a big fan of Chess, but don't be silly. It ill befits the author of as inspired a creation as Slither.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p g
Greece
Agia Paraskevi
flag msg tools
luigi87 wrote:
Social issues play some role as well, but I don't think they are the main factor in developed countries. And, anyway, societal roles are determined by our brains as much as the other way round.

That's not what she thinks:
http://fanoudraws.tumblr.com/post/68091072768/sorry-this-pos...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CoreyClark wrote:
christianF wrote:

Then who the heck have Nestor and Nick Bentley been referring to all this time in their rule pages? Of course women are playing LOT, Carnivores and Catchup. This is implied right in the rules.

They really should embrace singular "they" as the gender-neutral pronoun of choice. It's the best thing since sliced bread. The verb still goes in plural, but so does it with singular "you".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
luigi87 wrote:
CoreyClark wrote:
christianF wrote:

They really should embrace singular "they" as the gender-neutral pronoun of choice. It's the best thing since sliced bread. The verb still goes in plural, but so does it with singular "you".

I have a view on this help-put-the-world-to-rights-with-pronouns business, but let that pass for the moment.

Instead, a pedantic question, Luis. What is it, with regard to a phrase such as "you have", that leads you to describe the "have" as plural?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mocko wrote:
What is it, with regard to a phrase such as "you have", that leads you to describe the "have" as plural?

I guess it's not technically correct to do so. Better would have been to call it the not-third-person-singular form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mocko wrote:
flahr wrote:

Quote:

Well, one could ask who (whom?) lobbied again further co-ed shoots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.