Terra Mystica» Forums » General

Subject: Looking for TM tutor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J S
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone,

Brand new to this forum and relatively new to TM (got the board game for xmas last year). Looking for someone to help me up my game!

I have played 4 live games and have finished 44 online games as of this post. I have played in the league 3 times, finishing last in season 12, 1st in season 13 and looks like I will finish 2nd or 3rd in the current season. You can see my profile breakdown here:

http://terra.snellman.net/player/Semioteric

I realized I have a ton to learn after reading through the Loon Lakes development thread. What I am looking for is someone to help me go from an average player to one who can compete in the higher divisions.

Here is what I was thinking: Propose a curriculum for me that you will guide me through. If I decide to go with you, I will pay you $100 for the instruction ($20 up front, $40 when about 1/2 way through, $40 upon completion, payments via Paypal). It's not a lot I know, but I figure if you love the game anyways, getting paid is just a bonus! Instruction could include playing mock games, playing real games, analyzing my past games, analyzing past games of great players etc. Up to you!

The successful applicant will enjoy teaching, have a passion for the game and have a history of success in higher divisions. Also for practical reasons it should be someone who can speak English relatively well.

I was also thinking that perhaps we could record the instruction if it happens over Skype and turn it into a podcast series (any profits from which we would split 50/50) but this is an unfinished thought.

I reserve the right to choose whomever I wish (including nobody) if there is a lot of interest. Once I choose someone actual commencement/first payment will depend on us sorting out times that are mutually agreeable for our schedules.

Thanks! No idea if anybody will be interested in this or not, if not thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested in seeing whatever comes of this. I am, alas, wholly unqualified to work on creating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steinar Nerhus
Norway
flag msg tools
mb
You should check this out, it is where I would start if I should make a curriculum:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1276931/basic-guide-terra-m...

Or you could check out all the opening statistics by DocCool over in the strategy-part of this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Stones said - go with Thrar's detailed Guide, it's great!

When you look at the comments, you'll notice that many good players started there, including #2 of the rankings ttchong.

Try to understand the reasons behind each point and don't be afraid to decide differently in special situations.

Some other tipps:
- Use the planning tab to optimize and remember your next moves
- Always look at your opponent's recent moves before moving - sometimes people do strange things that require you to react
- Don't be shy to play against better players, you'll learn much less when only defeating bad players
- Try to play differently than usual from time to time even if it's not necessary - you'll get to know other aspects of the game
- Try to learn to play all factions, especially all good factions
- Study games of the best players, e.g. division 1/2 games, step by step, and everytime you meet sth. surprising ask yourself "why?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob lawblaw
msg tools
SpaceTrucker wrote:

- Study games of the best players, e.g. division 1/2 games, step by step, and everytime you meet sth. surprising ask yourself "why?"

Big time cosign on that. This is what I did a bunch of when I started playing online.

The way I thought it was most effective as a learning tool:
replay through division 1 games and try to predict each players next move before you step forward in the replay. If you got it right than awesome. If you didn't, why do you think they did what they did (don't jump to it too fast, but 'they made a mistake' is a possible answer here).

This was especially helpful to me because TM is as much about being able to predict what your opponents are going to do so that you can plan accordingly as it is about planning your optimal moves in a vacuum (although this is important too). So for me, this "predictive" replaying was especially valuable because I learned as much about predicting other players' moves as I did about what top players were aiming to accomplish.

I'm getting married/buying a house/going to africa in the next few months so I don't have time to spare to be a tutor, but any curriculum I would design would be something like 10% learning basics (especially common starting positions and conditions that lead to picking certain factions), about 40% doing this predictive replay watching, and 50% just playing for practice.

Also, if you have no idea what we're talking about when we say step through replays, this is what you need:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1305425/tmtools-chrome-exte...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.