6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Questions about preparing a gaming surface rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
kot player
Canada
flag msg tools
I’m looking to prepare a board game / card game surface to put over a 6 ft. folding table but as I am new to all of this I have a few questions on how to do so.

1) It is to my understanding that 3mm neoprene doesn’t need any additional padding underneath so can it be simply placed over the table without having to stretch and attach it somehow to the table?

2) If the above is true then does that make neoprene the best budget option? It is to my understand that other material such as upholstery velvet, velveteen, bella velvet, car headliner, and speed cloth all need to be stretched and have additional padding. Although the padding can be extremely cheap (floor underlay) some of the other fabrics are already much more expensive than neoprene such as any upholstery fabric, bella velvet and you need to staple it to the table or a piece of plywood which would be another $50.

3) So far the only place that I know of to buy 3mm neoprene is Michaels but it is double lined (I think you’re supposed to use single lined?) http://www.michaels.com/3mm-black-nylon-double-lined-neopren..., are there any other stores that sell neoprene? I’m located in Toronto, Canada.

4) I also found an online link but i am not sure how to tell what kind of neoprene it is. http://fabricville.com/en/neoprene-fabric-sheets-1009-purple...

I hope you guys can provide me with the answers. If you have any better suggestions on how to prepare the game surface please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Strickling
United States
Irving
TX
flag msg tools
mbmb
I used poker table foam then got a spray glue to put down micro velvet. I love it. A good mix of slide, presentation, and can easily pick up cards. Mine just sits on the table so I could remove it but if your looking to make it permanent that may be a different story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kot player
Canada
flag msg tools
Can you explain what exactly you did and how much it costed in total? I'm assuming you sprayed the foam then stretched the micro velvet over it but couldn't the foam be broken if an accident happened? Temporary or permanent, I'm just looking for ways to make a gaming surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
A surface to put over a table.

You mean something to bump your head on? That is brilliant. Or would it serve some other, non-slapstick purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kot player
Canada
flag msg tools
I thought it would be clear enough since this is a board games forum but to be more clear here is a visual example of what i meant.

This would be an example of ply wood + foam + fabric

This is an example of what i meant by only using neoprene because of its features of having enough padding by itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kot player
Canada
flag msg tools
After some more research i found a few answers to my questions.

1) 3mm doesn't need padding although some people recommend 5mm. The downside of 5mm is dice rolls but i use a dice tower. I believe I'll still get 3mm though because it is slightly cheaper. Reference link

2) Neoprene is the best budget option as everything else lacks when compared without padding and while keeping price in mind. Reference link https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3cnl62/table_to....

3) I still don't know if there are any stores located in Toronto Canada that sells neoprene but it doesn't matter because what i actually needed apparently was neoprene with nylon on one side and rubber on the other side. http://www.hookloopoutlet.com/n30mnis.html seem to be by far the cheapest option even when converting USD+Shipping to CAD however I do not believe they ship to Canada. Any solutions?

4) I am still not sure about this neoprene but if all else fails I guess I'll get this as a last resort. I'll assume the 10% nylon is the topping on the neoprene though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.