7 Posts

The Seven Years War: Frederick's Gamble» Forums » News

Subject: New playtest map has been posted to the GMT page rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Dolges
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New playtest map got posted to the GMT page yesterday.

It is beautiful!

EDIT: Okay, it's still a little rough in some places but it is coming along nicely.

http://www.gmtgames.com/7YWFG/10.10.16_7YW-FG_Gameboard.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sterner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
It's appearance is very nice. However, the game depicts rivers and I don't see, for example, either the Rhine or the Danube on the map. And I don't recognize other rivers shown prominently. Something really appears to be off in that regard.

Now, on point to point maps the background map isn't really pertinent to play technically, but I still expect everything shown to be reasonably accurate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Greetings,

Glad the new map is appreciated. We're working on receding the non-critical to play graphics, such as rivers, into a kind of background.

Players should have their eyes drawn to game-functional features such as Duchies and their names & information (e.g. Fortress ratings) with their connecting lines-of-communications.

More to come...

Thanks for your interest in THE SEVEN YEARS WAR: FREDERICK'S GAMBLE (7YW:FG).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall map is nice I am still little sad and dissapointed that no one took map of Europe to get rid of some really bad placement of towns.

I will talk only about Czech Republic.
Prag, Pilser, Eger - they are mostly ok. Eger should be little in south. Because it is below Prag, but not big issue.

Kolin is between Prag and Konigratz. No way it is road to Wien.

Brunn should be in Place of Wien, also Brunn is way to Wien from Prag

both Prossnitz and Olmutz are north of Brunn also Prossnitz is quite close to Olmutz. I know what you probably want to simulate - encirclement of Olmutz from which Prussians started in Prossnitz but still in strategy game like this I do not think it makes much sense to have 2 cities such close to each other

Reichenburg should be Reichenberg (Liberec) and should be little more in north but it is not biggie.

Muglitz again this is pretty small city near Olmutz. I do not think it makes sense to have another city so close to Olmutz.

Please do not take this harshly. This is probably game highest on my want list right now. Also given that there was quite lot fighting in our small country it is very interesting for us. So from this reason I would rather have map which is more close to reality so I would not have to shake my head every time I will look at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its entirely possible the places mentioned are a matter of whats strategically important there and the closest placename was used? Or roads and the like differed at that time?

But a more accurate view and/or corrections is always welcomed, Im curious as to what the developers could say here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamil Klapka
Czech Republic
Praha 10
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Geoff,
I do not object name of cities, which are perfectly fine (they went for their german variants, which is ok, given that we were part of Austrian empire). I do object their placement and from that somehow leads connections to other cities. As I pointed in several cases it is wrong and in some cases almost absurd.

For example Kolin should have direct connections to Koniggratz which is just 40 km away from Kolin. You would never go to Koniggratz through Reichenberg which is 100 km away and in mountains. Also if you want to go to Wien from Kolin you have to go through or around Brunn.

And these are just few examples.

As I said I am looking forward to this game very much and all people in my group too. So we will definitely buy few copies, we would be happy if map somehow resembles our country. I suppose that it is due to fact that wee are on edge of map, still I believe that it could be done more realistically then on this point it is. Also I am little sad that I have already given feedback way back on some previous iteration of map and in this new map there are quite few issues again...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Schachter
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Greetings,

I freely admit that as game developer I'm out of my depth regarding place names and other suggestions made above.

However, your observations have been shared with the game designer. Furthermore, the latest play-test map remains "work-in-progress". This map is not etched in stone... particularly as GMT's graphics team has yet to consider it.

Keep those suggestions coming. They're appreciated.

Thanks for your interest in THE SEVEN YEARS WAR: FREDERICK'S GAMBLE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.