GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 58.85

4,245 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
26.8% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Magnus Magnissimus Maximus
Norway
flag msg tools
I do not consider this a spoiler as all these rules are covered in the manual and starting buildings.

The port structure token states:
A: "Remove all damage cards from ships that end a sail order in this region"

In Rob´s developer blog about the builder´s guild, he states:

B: "The Port (2 of them) allow you to repair ships without having to spend an order."

The manual states:

C: "Place the ship on your province board until you rebuild it with a repair action"

1. Does a sunken ship immediately get rebuilt if you build a port? B and C seems to support this, as you get to repair ships without spending an order. This implies that the ship on your province board is in your province.

2. A does not support 1. as you are not removing damage cards, but rebuilding a ship, which is another kind of action. Also, your ship doesn´t complete a sail order.

3. Does sailing 0 spaces count as a sail order? Example: I do an endeavour, a ship gets 2 damage, and sail back to home port. Next turn, I build a port, sail my undamaged ship out to sea, sail 0 spaces with the damaged ship, and it gets repaired. If sailing 0 does not count, the damaged ship would need to sail out of port and then back again to be repaired (which would take two turns if it had sail 1)

We have been playing with interpretation 1., but I now (after going through the rules again) see that this is probably wrong. We had a dispute about issue 3. as well, but I had 2 sail and went out to coastal waters and back again into port.

Have any other players had this issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's clear, you've got to end a Sail order there to use the Port, and so it's got no effect on sunken ships.

Rob's casual summary is irrelevant because the actual rules are clear.

There's no reason you couldn't take a Sail order and move 0 spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
In my group we play 2.

We treat repairing a ship, and rebuilding a ship as two different things. Rebuilding only happens when you take repair action at your home port. Repairing is when you take the repair action at a location that allows the repair action (home ports being the obvious examples).

So to rebuild a ship you need to take a repair action, the Port building only allows you to remove damage without taking the repair action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lastalchemist wrote:
Rebuilding only happens when you take repair action at your home port.

That's not quite what the rule says.

If you repair, you may also rebuild any sunken ships of yours and place them in your home harbor.

If you take the Repair action, you could repair a ship not at your home harbor (but at a location with a repair symbol) AND also rebuild your other ship at your home harbor.

This doesn't affect the Port, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Totally agree with all the replies here. Port ability is not a repair action and a 0-move sail action is legal. But this got me wondering about something I hadnt thought about hefore. Does the port ability have no effect on damaged upgrades?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Totally agree with all the replies here. Port ability is not a repair action and a 0-move sail action is legal. But this got me wondering about something I hadnt thought about hefore. Does the port ability have no effect on damaged upgrades?

Wow, I never thought of that, either. I assumed it would repair damaged upgrades as well, but the literal text only refers to damage cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
KoalaXav wrote:

Wow, I never thought of that, either. I assumed it would repair damaged upgrades as well, but the literal text only refers to damage cards.

Yup. My assumption too until about ten minutes ago. I am so torn on this. I kind of want the repaired upgrades interpretation to be correct, or else the port is much less attractive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Going to make a new thread on this so more see it. And hopefully JR!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this thread is plenty visible and I hate the proliferation of threads on the same topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
But the topic is zero sailing and rebuilds which is a different topic, only tangentally related.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, I don't even think it needs more clarification or questions, the Port text is 100% clear that it only removes damage cards, it doesn't repair upgrades. I had read it wrong before, but I will follow the rule from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.