12 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Is the app takes control of the Overlord? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
haim benisty
msg tools
Hi!

I always wanted to buy Descent, but I didn't because we are just 2 players (me & wife) and we like fully co-op games.

We really like Mansions Of Madness Second Edition because the app takes control of the Keeper (the Overlord) and let us play fully co-op against it.

To my question: Is the app of Descent fully takes control of the Overlord? Me and my wife can play it fully co-op?
If so, why the box says 2-5 players and not 1-5?

Thanks a lot!
Haim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank La Terra
Australia
flag msg tools
Haim6130 wrote:

To my question: Is the app of Descent fully takes control of the Overlord? Me and my wife can play it fully co-op?

Yes

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
Haim

The app came out years after the original 2nd edition game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
msg tools
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Quote:

Thanks a lot!
Haim

The app came out years after the original 2nd edition game.

Also note that not all of the box content is useable with the app (notably the campaign). The app has its own campaigns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me & the wife are right now in the middle of the tutorial campaign and having a hell of a good time. I heartily suggest you to get Road to Legend ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pantaloni
Italy
Camerata Picena
AN
flag msg tools
mb
Also note that with the app the player count decreases to 1-4, you won't be able to play co-op with 5 heroes.
Anyway for 2 players the app is great! I think it's more enjoyable fully co-op than the regular game with 1 overlord and 1 player controlling multiple heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted to play this, but as a solo player I was reluctant to buy it. Now I have used the App. I am in the process of buying all the boxed expansions as I love it. Waiting until I'm a little more experienced and then I want to try the RAOV variants as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
haim benisty
msg tools
Thanks guys!
It sounds exactly what we looking for.

Two more questions if I may:
1. If the app contains all the campign and scenarios, why I need the expansions for? there are new heroes / tiles / cards that can be added to the game? There are campaign / scenarios that added too with expansions?
2. How many camapigns are in the app right now, and how many scenarios (approximately) in each campaign?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Pantaloni
Italy
Camerata Picena
AN
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
1. If the app contains all the campign and scenarios, why I need the expansions for? there are new heroes / tiles / cards that can be added to the game? There are campaign / scenarios that added too with expansions?

The expansions do not add new campaigns, but they add new sidequests for the existing ones, plus the new monsters and heroes.

Quote:
2. How many camapigns are in the app right now, and how many scenarios (approximately) in each campaign?

Currently the app has:
- [free] a short tutorial campaign (2 quests + 2 sidequests)
- [free] a full campaign (6 main quests for each run from a pool of 8, plus sidequests)
- [paid, about 5$] the delve, that generates (kind of) random adventures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AxBattler wrote:
Quote:

The expansions do not add new campaigns, but they add new sidequests for the existing ones, plus the new monsters and heroes.

It is worth noting that, if you're going to get the Delve (which I guess you will eventually), owning any of the boxed expansions will significantly expand the number of dungeons available. For more info:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1655792/delve-available... (see first post)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
AxBattler wrote:
Also note that with the app the player count decreases to 1-4, you won't be able to play co-op with 5 heroes.

While this is true, I discovered that it is perfectly playable with 5 players. If one player takes the role of a "Game Master", he can activate and move monsters, as well as roll their dice and operate the app. You will have enough things to do, and it won´t be a boring experience.

Another positive effect of this mode of play is, that the players don´t have the antagonistic relationship they usually share with the Overlord. It will also speed up the game, and you can even help the heroes to plan their moves.

While RtL is not strictly designed to be played with 5 players, it´s perfectly doable and feels almost natural. I can only encourage everyone to try this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
AxBattler wrote:

While this is true, I discovered that it is perfectly playable with 5 players. If one player takes the role of a "Game Master", he can activate and move monsters, as well as roll their dice and operate the app. You will have enough things to do, and it won´t be a boring experience.

Another positive effect of this mode of play is, that the players don´t have the antagonistic relationship they usually share with the Overlord. It will also speed up the game, and you can even help the heroes to plan their moves.

While RtL is not strictly designed to be played with 5 players, it´s perfectly doable and feels almost natural. I can only encourage everyone to try this out.

I really cannot imagine anyone preferring to play the game that way as compared to the normal game with a real overlord. It takes away every single piece of decision making imaginable. The 5th "player" is not playing the game at all, but merely functions as the app's speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
Vardaine wrote:
I really cannot imagine anyone preferring to play the game that way as compared to the normal game with a real overlord. It takes away every single piece of decision making imaginable. The 5th "player" is not playing the game at all, but merely functions as the app's speakers.

The sad truth I discovered, while playing numerous classic Descent campaigns, is, that noone in my gaming circle was comfortable playing against an human overlord. As soon as the heroes lost 1 or 2 quests, they usually turned sour, and they never desired to continue the campaign, which effectively meant, that Descent did not even come to the table anymore.

But surprisingly these exact same people had a blast playing RtL, even when I was controlling the monsters as a kind of "Gamemaster". You are right, that this is not as interesting as playing as the overlord, but I prefer playing Descent as a gamemaster to not playing it at all as overlord

While this surely is not for everyone, it´s a good way to play if you have 5 players and classic Descent campaigns are not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.