Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The port says to remove damage cards on ships ending a sail action there. Based on RAW, that would mean any damaged upgrades remain damaged. But is this what was intended?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the specifics of the tile why would it refresh an exhausted upgrade tile? Not trying to be contrary, just wondering.

I would think it doesn't fix an upgrade. You would still need the repair action.

However it has been clarified already that if a damage card requires specific conditions, like paying gold. You can still remove the card because of the port if you fulfill the additional text, our example to pay the gold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It specifically says "damage CARDS" so I'd say it definitely does not include upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
It specifically says "damage CARDS" so I'd say it definitely does not include upgrades.

The design concept behind the port seems to be that it provides you with a repair action while not having to spend an action on the builder's guild. If that is the case, it could easily have been an oversight in writing the rules (as in, they should have also written "remove all damage cards and refresh upgrades").

I don't see it significantly affecting the game either way, and treating it as gaining the effects of a repair action makes for fewer exceptions in the rules IMHO. So unless there's a specific reason not to do so, our group will be playing that it does refresh upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
I don't see it significantly affecting the game either way, and treating it as gaining the effects of a repair action makes for fewer exceptions in the rules IMHO.

There's no "exception" involved either way. The Port has an effect, there's no reason it should or shouldn't be the same as the Repair action effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Weberup
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Bridger wrote:
I don't see it significantly affecting the game either way, and treating it as gaining the effects of a repair action makes for fewer exceptions in the rules IMHO.

There's no "exception" involved either way. The Port has an effect, there's no reason it should or shouldn't be the same as the Repair action effect.

While I agree this is what the tile says and how it should be played, the example (regarding reputation) on page 11 still make the intention a little bit ambiguous.

For reference
Seafall rulebook p11 wrote:
Example: Yellow has a port in her home harbor. Red offers to give her a
reputation token to have his ships repair all damage in yellow’s home harbor
that turn. Yellow accepts the token and red repairs his ships without having to
spend a repair order (due to the Port)
. Yellow could have refused the token but
can’t ‘sweeten the deal’ by asking for some gold in addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it may well be that it's a mistake and the designer intended for the Port to repair all damage, of whatever type.

That's different from saying it's inconsistent or wrong, though. Only the designer really knows about this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure if it's specific to damage cards. First of all, if it meant all damage, they probably wouldn't have specified "cards". There's also something later in the game that seems a bit over-powered if upgrades were allowed to be refreshed. If was either for box 3, 4, or 5:

I tell you the type of thing I'm talking about and the first letter it starts with, minimal spoilage:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It's a ship upgrade that starts with the letter "F" that's not "Fearless"

Full spoiler:
The Fanatical upgrade allows you to exhaust it to remove all damage and curse cards. If Port allowed you to to refresh Fanatical, then effectively Ports now allow you to remove damage cards, curse cards, and refresh upgrades, which seems over-powered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler for Rule 7:

Does the Port let you remove Curses? Curses are "damage cards" (but not "standard damage cards"), and the Port lets you remove "damage cards". Rule 7 says that Curses can be removed by a "special power", and the Port has such a power. Perhaps the Port isn't supposed to work on Curses, but if so this is another example of sloppy wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Spoiler for Rule 7:

Does the Port let you remove Curses? Curses are "damage cards" (but not "standard damage cards"), and the Port lets you remove "damage cards". Rule 7 says that Curses can be removed by a "special power", and the Port has such a power. Perhaps the Port isn't supposed to work on Curses, but if so this is another example of sloppy wording.

Box 3 spoilers:

There's effectively three types of damage: A) exhausted upgrades, B) "standard damage cards" (Rule 7), and C) curse cards. The Port structure, Cold Iron Altar structure, and Tinker advisor refer to "damage cards", but I interpret that as "standard damage cards". Thematically ports and tinkers shouldn't be able to remove curses, whereas there are thematic equivalent advisors and structures that specify they remove curses. But more importantly, the Cold Iron Altar makes a differentiation between "damage cards" and curse cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see plenty of clues and indications that's what might have been intended. But it's not what the rules SAY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Bridger wrote:

if you can tell players "it works just like a free repair action" it is much simpler than saying "it works like a repair action but...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's even simpler to say "It does what the tile says it does."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:

The whole point of this thread is that the tile's text is not clear enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bridger wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:

I think everyone agrees the tile is clear. The question is whether it means what it says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Bridger wrote:
lactamaeon wrote:

I think everyone agrees the tile is clear. The question is whether it means what it says.

Definitely. Because I get the impression not everyone is playing it the same way. And that is bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Definitely. Because I get the impression not everyone is playing it the same way. And that is bad.

Is it really?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes. In an epic $80 board game designed to tell one grand story once, I hope for something better than multiple rules that can be and often are misinterpreted. This is a game. Not a box of toys. That means that structure is one of the main elements we are paying for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KoalaXav wrote:
Yes. In an epic $80 board game designed to tell one grand story once, I hope for something better than multiple rules that can be and often are misinterpreted. This is a game. Not a box of toys. That means that structure is one of the main elements we are paying for.

I mean, in this particular case, the tile is clear (at least in English). People just want it to do something different (perhaps because the printed text doesn't feel sufficiently in-theme to their "epic story"). If they play that way, it's not going to break the "epic story".

(And if they did somehow break their own "epic story" it's not going to ruin yours.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc LeBlanc
United States
California
flag msg tools
mcs1213 wrote:
However it has been clarified already that if a damage card requires specific conditions, like paying gold. You can still remove the card because of the port if you fulfill the additional text, our example to pay the gold.

Could you please link to the original source? I can't find this "clarification" anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mahk wrote:
mcs1213 wrote:

Could you please link to the original source? I can't find this "clarification" anywhere.

It is here on BGG somewhere, I don't remember which thread it was in, look for answers given by JR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mahk wrote:
mcs1213 wrote:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23764683#23764683

And in general, the following thread compiles many of the dev team's comments regarding the game (though it needs a bit of recent updating):

The Captain's Log (Unofficial SeaFall FAQ and compilation of rules clarifications and game play information from SeaFall's developers)

(Or Google "SeaFall FAQ"; it's currently entry #3!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.