BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Works in Progress

Subject: Fantasy Campaign War Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, once I finish a small writing project and get a bit more free time, I'm into component building to play-test. Thought I'd through my basic game information out for criticism.

Each unit is represented by a number of miniatures (usually 3, but heroes or monsters might be one) and an information card, a la Star Wars: IA or Mice and Mystics.

The Card: Outlines the number of attack and defense dice, number of actions, specific action dice, and any special abilities the unit may have.

At the beginning of the round, both players roll all their action dice, then take turns (initiative is assigned by campaign scenario) applying them to units.

All units generate more action dice than they can use, so dice added to the pool by unit A can be used by Unit B.

For example, the opening scenario features a small band of town militia investigating a missing townsperson thought perhaps to be the victim of a bear, but run into the advance scouts of an invading army.

The Militia generate 3 dice, 1 basic movement, 1 basic attack, and one dodge.

The wise old hunter accompanying them generates 1 basic movement, one basic attack, 1 dodge, 1 basic ranged and 1 advanced range die.

Each unit can only use dice which appear on their card, and can use 1/2 their total dice rounded up (I need a better way of saying this, but if you generate 3 you can use 2, 5 you can use 3, 7 you can use 4)

So, if you rolled well on your ranged dice, you could use them both on the hunter, and hang on to a dodge die, in case of problems, while you applied both his movement dice, and the one the milita generate to the militia, so they can hot-foot it back to town for re-inforcements (the goal of the scenario.

I could go into more detail, but would prefer responses to boredom.

Does this sound like a compelling decision making process to you? Would it help you feel engaged in the game? My hope is that the combination of deciding whether to amp your best units (typically lower in number) or use the hordes, combined with the idea that your opponent's dice are visible and being used up as you go would lend to many 'decision points' or re-evaluation without much chance of AP.

Please critique or ask anything, I believe this will be my main hobby for the next couple of years, I'd like to make it work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5369/hordes-things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Estabrooks
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure if I failed to explain, but I'm not suggesting I'm looking for a game. I AM designing one, and am asking for thoughts on the system.

I am aware that action assignment is not 100% original, but have a somewhat different take on it, and am curious about people's thoughts on it. If more detail would be helpful, I am happy to provide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.