Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BSG 565 - All Along the Watchtower
5 Player Base + Daybreak Game to Earth

Welcome to BSG 565. This is my first attempt at modding a PBF game, so I'm going to keep things simple as far as expansions go. It will be Base + Daybreak, as that is the expansion I am most familiar with. It will be a 5 player game, with NO Cylon Leaders, to keep things straightforward for me. The destination will be decided when we have our crew. UPDATE: The crew have decided, we go to Earth.

All this was made possible by ColtsFan76 and he has my undying thanks for that. I will also be using the Open Office spreadsheet and GIMP files created by Orphius and completely revamped by jasperhawk and Mawkee. Awesome work. I have also ripped off Caimion's opening spiel totally without his permission, so Thanks Caimion!

For info on PBF see - Tips and Tricks for BSG PBF

Our Crew for this voyage - doppio, dezzmont, Jeremy R, bender418, & dualedge

Standard Things to remember/know:

d10-1All players must have their own copies of the game and all expansions (this is an FFG requirement).

d10-2Follow PBF conventions. Bold your actions! I will not process anything until bolded. Use italics for in-character talk, and use images for flavor and fun. Find lots of them here: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/item/1834905#item1834905.

d10-3Use the image banners so we know who you are. If you're on a mobile device and don't want to look up your bannerID, please put your character name at the top of your post.

d10-4Don't communicate with other players outside the thread. Any private communication should be between me and particular players. If you have a question that you don’t want to ask publicly, ask me, that's what I'm here for!

d10-5Subscribe to the thread! I expect that you will be able to check in twice a day, at least 6-8 hours apart. If 24 hours have elapsed and you haven't taken action you will be warned. Repeated warnings will see me seeking a replacement player. Everyone hates waiting for someone every turn, dont be 'that guy'!

d10-6Use Conditional Orders (COs) and the game will run smoothly. The game is much more enjoyable when it’s moving along and not getting stalled for days. Don't worry - if I have questions about your COs I will ask you privately, I'm not interested in trying to play "gotcha" by executing a CO that clearly didn't account for something.

d10-7I like to make my board images after the current player has received their cards, so everyone knows how many cards are out there. So if you have a variable draw, please send in your COs for those as soon as you can.

d10-8Respect secrecy rules. Some often overlooked secrecy violations include:

* Providing a public CO (bolding when it is not your turn to act)
* Saying "medium" if you've played one card
* Talking about scouted cards (top or buried) beyond "good" or "bad"
* Identifying which cards/colours you played into a skillcheck
* Volunteering the contents of your hand if it's not directly relevant to the current discussion

d10-9Don't quote anything from more than two pages back in the thread. Say what you think happened in your own words.

d10-0 We will be following the Official FAQ and Unofficial FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Battlestar_Galactica_FAQ), but we will be ignoring the ruling regarding the Admiral having to disclose whether the she chose the top destination. When a player chooses from the top two cards of a deck it is secret which card was chosen.

Remember - I am a Brand New Mod, fresh out of the packaging. If you see something I've messed up, please tell me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I will assume that each player has the following standing COs. Please send me a GM when you'd like to act otherwise.

* Pass on Declare Emergency and Change of Plans

* Pass on Strategic Planning for shots against raiders, scouts if there's more than one raptor remaining and shots by cylon ships

* Pass on most Character Abilities - I'll work this out in private with individual players after character selection

* Pass on Evasive Maneuvers for unmanned vipers/assault raptors that aren't protecting a civilian ship, unless the viper/raptor would be destroyed

* Pass on anything that would be a clear soft-reveal (e.g., Evasive Maneuvers to re-roll a shot that missed)

* Unmanned Assault Raptors will be left in space when the fleet jumps

* Revealed Cylons will draw Treachery and Piloting. If on the Resurrection Ship, they will draw Treachery.

* If a player must discard and they have non-zero Treachery in hand they will discard the Treachery.

* If everybody else has responded to an interrupt and you haven't, and you don't have the cards in question, I will pretend you sent me a pass CO. This will not divulge hand information since I will also pass those who sent me a pass CO at the same time.

* If there are multiple conflicting CO interrupts, and the players have not worked out whose to play, I will play the lowest-valued interrupt. If it's still tied, I will play the interrupt for the player whose turn is soonest.

Things to note

Just a reminder – this game is using the Daybreak expansion only. Things to remember if you're more used to playing an all-expansions game

* No Executions, Consequences, Battlestar Pegasus, or anything to do with the Cylon Fleet Board or Conflicted Loyalties.

* All Movement, Reckless, 6-Strength and 1-2 Strength non-base-game cards are gone, along with half of the 0-strength non-Treacheries (Red Tape, Iron Will, Trust Instincts, Protect the Fleet and Establish Network), as well as Run Interference and Calculations.

* Only the base game Quorum, Destination, Loyalty, and Super Crisis cards are included.

As a house rule, we will be using Pegasus' Investigative Committees, the ones that don't reveal Destiny.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I completely understand if anyone wants to wait for a more expansion-heavy game, or something with a Cylon Leader. No hard feelings.

Invitations are from the top of the waiting list. Some of them are still playing in game #551, but as that game is in the final jump cycle, I decided to allow them to join. Their game may be over before we get under way, anyhow. I have invited 9 players, the first 5 to accept either by posting in the thread or GMing me will get a spot.

Inviting:

larabair - Declined
boltana
Keisus - Declined
dezzmont - IN
bender418 - IN
coppro
Desonos - Declined
doppio - IN
dualedge - IN

Additional invites:

Jeremy R - IN
KraZug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
I am currently in a game going through its last jump cycle. If that isn't an issue I am down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Whitmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In, with thanks for the invite, and yay for new mods! Hope you enjoy getting into it as much as I have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome aboard! While we're waiting for some others to check in, lets start working out where our final destination should be.....

Poll: Vote for Destination
To where shall we be travelling?
Kobol
Earth
      5 answers
Poll created by IriDiuM84

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Rice
United States
Watertown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the invite, but I'd like a game with all expansions. Good luck though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hmm, the final 3 invitees are all sitting on asterisks in the waiting list, meaning they're likely to not respond. I'll give them another day or so before declaring them no-shows, but if they don't check in in another 12-ish hours, I'll invite some alternates just in case.

EDIT: What do you know? As I'm posting this, bender418 GMs me and accepts! Good stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bending
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking forward to starting the game!

Also I did vote for Earth in the destination poll... but I did want to say that if there are strong objections I'm perfectly happy with Kobol. Just thought I'd throw that out there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Whitmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in the same position, voted for Earth but would have no problems with Kobol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alright, throwing out another couple of invites. If either of them respond before boltana or coppro, the spot is theirs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

While we wait, maybe we can start character selection... Roll for first

dezzmont d1000 = (446) = 446
bender418 d1000 = (177) = 177
doppio d1000 = (614) = 614
dualedge d1000 = (76) = 76
Mysterious 5th player d1000 = (192) = 192

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 968280. IriDiuM84
  • d1000 =
  • (446) =
  • dezzmont
  • Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:42 am
  • [+]
  • 968281. IriDiuM84
  • d1000 =
  • (177) =
  • bender418
  • [+]
  • 968282. IriDiuM84
  • d1000 =
  • (614) =
  • doppio
  • [+]
  • 968283. IriDiuM84
  • d1000 =
  • (76) =
  • dualedge
  • Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 am
  • [+]
  • 968284. IriDiuM84
  • d1000 =
  • (192) =
  • Mysterious 5th player
  • Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:43 am
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Player order is

doppio
dezzmont
Jeremy R
bender418
dualedge

So, doppio, please choose your character when ready.

Available:

Military Leaders - Adama, Tigh, Helo, Hoshi, Tom
Political Leaders - Roslin, Baltar, Lee, Zarek, Lampkin
Pilots - Apollo, Starbuck, Karl, Boomer, Hot Dog
Support - Chief, Gaius, Cottle

Destination Update - The results of the poll look pretty conclusive at this point. We will be heading to Earth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Whitmore
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Karl Agathon (daybreak) please.

dezzmont is next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Available for dezzmont:

Military Leaders - Adama, Tigh, Hoshi, Tom
Political Leaders - Roslin, Baltar, Lee, Zarek, Lampkin
Support - Chief, Gaius, Cottle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Reed
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I'm in if the fifth spot is yet to be taken! This would be my first PBF game, but I've played several times before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome aboard, sir! Looks like we have our 5.

Any questions Jeremy, just send me a GM. As I mentioned, it's only my first game as a Mod, but I'm sure I'll be able to help you in any case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
I am a fan of the classics. Political Baltar please!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Jeremy R, you're up! Available for selection:

Military Leaders - Adama, Tigh, Hoshi, Tom
Support - Chief, Cottle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dezzmont wrote:
I am a fan of the classics. Political Baltar please!

Hear hear, I've seen too many Daybreak crews consisting of Hoshi, Tom, Lee, Karl, and Gaius, plus Athena. Bring back some classics!

(Btw, not criticizing anyone for picking a Daybreak character, just good to see something else for a change. Feel free to pick whoever you want)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
I think that there is a good reason most people stick to the new characters in a single expansion game: The skill cards are designed for them. When 2/3rds of the piloting deck discourages you from piloting vipers, and the other 1/3rd is important in some major missions, the idea of playing Starbuck and throwing down a double max fire loses its luster.

Only Baltar, Tigh, Helo, Adama, and Boomer end up walking away unscathed from the new mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a pity how the changes in rules have disadvantaged some of the older characters. I'm tempted to run a pegasus only or pegasus/exodus game for my next game, to try and bring some of them back in, but then there's a lot of good stuff in Daybreak too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crowley
msg tools
I think the fleet board alone does a lot to help force character diversity, especially in larger games. The biggest problem with character diversity is that passive and purely defensive millitary play where humans burn low risk actions repeatedly crowds out both characters who can't participate in such actions like Roslin, as well as combatants who really would rather attack the enemy like Starbuck or Kat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenton
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Oh, if people already know what their starting draws will be, feel free to post them. That could help speed the start of the game. You are, of course, entitled to wait until seeing your loyalty card(s) before deciding on draws, however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Pearce
England
Newcastle-under-Lyme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'm too late, have fun on this flight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [29] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.