7 Posts

Warhammer: Diskwars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarify Swift? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I searched for this, but I only found stuff that seemed to say the opposite of the rules:

Quote:
A disk with swift deals the damage from its
specified strength value before any other disk in melee combat that
does not also have swift. If this is enough damage to remove an enemy
disk as a casualty, then it does not deal its melee damage.

So ... disks with swift are incapable of killing a disk?

Or is it that a disk with swift does both swift damage and melee damage, but not the latter if the former kills somebody? Because I'm also seeing posts that say that's not true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sentence in bold could use a little clarification.

What Swift means is that if the disk with Swift does enough damage to kill the enemy disk, the enemy disk is not able to do return damage before it is removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Brunet
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that means that disks killed with a Swift attack don't get a chance to retaliate and deal damage themselves. Unless they happen to get a Swift counterattack, that is.

Basically, in each fight, you have three timing windows
-first you resolve (simultaneously) Swift attacks and counters (dealing damages and removing casualties)
-then you resolve normal attack and counters
-then you resolve Slow attack and counters

Edit : ninjaed...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giovanni Cornara
Italy
flag msg tools
https://snipertroll.wordpress.com - https://shiftingmists.wordpress.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
I searched for this, but I only found stuff that seemed to say the opposite of the rules:

Quote:
A disk with swift deals the damage from its
specified strength value before any other disk in melee combat that
does not also have swift. If this is enough damage to remove an enemy
disk as a casualty, then it does not deal its melee damage.

So ... disks with swift are incapable of killing a disk?

Or is it that a disk with swift does both swift damage and melee damage, but not the latter if the former kills somebody? Because I'm also seeing posts that say that's not true.

In the sentence "It does not deal its melee damage", "it" refers to the disk removed ad a casualty, not to the disk with the Swift ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Oohh, okay, cool. Could anybody clarify why some seem to believe that Swift only activates when you're the attacker, and not when you're the defender/counterattacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
Oohh, okay, cool. Could anybody clarify why some seem to believe that Swift only activates when you're the attacker, and not when you're the defender/counterattacking?

A disk with Swift always attacks first, regardless of whether it is the attacker or defender. In the same vein, a disk with the Slow attribute always attacks last.

That being said, there are certain disks that gain the Swift attribute on a conditional basis. The individual disk may say something like, "When attacking, this unit gains Swift."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
Brazil
flag msg tools
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth remembering that Swift is followed by a symbol that defines if it is used on attack, counterattack or both values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.