GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 107.04

6,664 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
42% of Goal | left

Support:

aahs jpw
msg tools
mb
The new Purple virus has a different face distribution from the other four viruses including negatives and multipliers. So how does it stack up in terms of difficulty to "find a cure"?

The shortest answer is: usually more difficult by about 20%.

Here's a link to a calculator of cure success chance and result probability curves for the many possible configurations of number of samples, cure target number, and virus color.

http://anydice.com/program/9a02

Expect to need about one extra purple sample to reach 13 with the same odds.
Black, Yellow, and the new Purple are not possible to cure with 2 samples unless you reduce the cure target to 10 or less, so 3 samples should be the usual minimum attempt.

Good luck!

aahsjpw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geppo Muzzak
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
I didn't see the breakdown of the purple die faces.
Do you know it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aahs jpw
msg tools
mb
Sorry for not including that. Another topic stated that the rules had been posted on the publisher's site, so I had a look and found my info there.

On page 4 the rules describe the purple infection dice as having a 2, 4, 5, cross, -1, and x2.

2, 4, 5, and cross (=zero) are added together just like in the base game when finding a cure. The new -1 subtracts one.

It then gets tricky because all other types of faces are summed before multiplying by two for each "x2" multiplier.

And I just realized I made the mistake of assuming that bonuses to find a cure are "added to the total" as stated on my scientist card. That's now contradicted by the new virus rules. The target number is always 13. This distinction apparently now matters because the rules on page 5 depicting the order of operations for purple shows adding the bonus +2 for the scientist before the multiplier applies. Bizarre. Well then.

http://anydice.com/program/9a34

Purple is still harder to cure, but maybe 5% easier than I previously reported. And now purple has joined blue and red in the "curable with two samples by a Scientist". Quite a legendary thing to do IMO.

Good luck.

aahsjpw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.