Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I use a smuggler or a bureaucratic to undersell on a completed supply chain the owner of the removed chit loses revenue but then the rules seem to imply that I would gain revenue? Is this correct?

Missionaries make people want to take drugs, seems legit. Yes I read the design notes. I understand the history. Still makes me laugh.

Police action, says to move the outrage counter twice, I assume up?

Can I lower the price on a counter that isn't mine? The rules imply that I can.

If the port is closed you can only complete the supply chain with smugglers on the inner water box?

Can you ever adjust the price of your enterprises up?

In a normal game are all the conspiracy circles going to be used up each round so in future round you really are only getting one chit per circle? Does that make the first 3 chit ones really valuable?

So I enjoyed the rules and look forward to playing. For some reason I got a feeling of the game Churchill, in that you are probably going to work together (ie it doesn't look like you can complete a supply chain all alone easily) but in the end you are going to have one winner. Since London points are public if one player gets to far ahead I can see destroying stability in china just to mess them up (ala monotheism conversion in Greenland).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a burocrat or smuggler is not an enterprise...

I could not find a picture of the envoy in the rulebook.

Good questions by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sure they aren't enterprises, but..

5.3.4....Smugglers may undersell enterprises in those zones. If underselling, follow the rules in 5.2.4.

5.2.4... The player placing the new tile gains revenue as indicated by the price on the counter he placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You do not gain revenue. The player owning the underselling enterprise gains the revenue. However since smugglers are not owned by anyone no player takes the new revenue.

2. Yup, it moves up.

3. No. You can only lower the price of your own counters.

4. Correct. Closed ports demand smugglers in the inner waters.

5. Nope.

6. It depends. Pacing can be really important and setting out of that pacing to snatch a conspiracy may not be worth it. Players also often prematurely pass to increase the cost of taking a conspiracy circle which makes them a lot less appealing (this is esp useful for keeping Qing Forces out of play).

Thanks for your comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerit wrote:

I could not find a picture of the envoy in the rulebook.

An envoy is a merchant on one of the two envoy "slots" on the player charters.

(top left)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, that sounds like what I expected, is there going to be a living rules or anything? I kind of feel like some clarification on these might be nice to combat the evil rules lawyers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:
Cool, that sounds like what I expected, is there going to be a living rules or anything? I kind of feel like some clarification on these might be nice to combat the evil rules lawyers...

We're taking the feedback from the various parties and incorporating it into the rulebook now. We're delaying our schedule by a couple of days so we have time to do this. After all, no one cares when a game comes out-- just what it's like once it does. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some comments/suggestions:

Why are 5.1.1, 5.1.2 and 5.2.4 in italic font?

3.3 speaks of British Forces - should this not be British Influence counters?

Inconsistency: 4.2.4 prize vs, Prize; 4.3 and 4.4 section vs. Section

5.1.2: ...no one is considered an industry leader... add: of that type.

5.3.2 and 5.3.3: add something like ...while it is not possible to undersell... in the Note.

Can burocrats and smugglers undersell only merchants (= only enterprise allowed on a zone where burocrats and smugglers are also allowed)? If so this might be mentioned, instead of 'current occupant' or 'enterprises'. But I am not sure I get the picture here.

Just curious: was there actually a real chance China would see a revolution? Why? As a result of the opium trade or opium war(s)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tomrussell wrote:
ricottma wrote:

We're taking the feedback from the various parties and incorporating it into the rulebook now. We're delaying our schedule by a couple of days so we have time to do this. After all, no one cares when a game comes out-- just what it's like once it does. :-)

Thanks for the publisher support on this one Tom, I'm looking forward to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the prizes with the highest value for the richest scions in order of value/wealth?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for the delay on this one. I hadn't subscribed to this thread for some reason.

Quote:
Can burocrats and smugglers undersell only merchants (= only enterprise allowed on a zone where burocrats and smugglers are also allowed)? If so this might be mentioned, instead of 'current occupant' or 'enterprises'. But I am not sure I get the picture here.

Any counter with a price is an "enterprise." As such Smugglers can undersell other smugglers, or bureaucrats, or merchants.

And to your final question, I offer the following:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiping_Rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerit Driessen
Netherlands
Mierlo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another part of history learned. That is the beauty of historical games! Thanks Cole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
looked at V2 of the rules, saw the added bit about underselling with a smuggler, should the same words be added to the bureaucrat section?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ricottma wrote:
looked at V2 of the rules, saw the added bit about underselling with a smuggler, should the same words be added to the bureaucrat section?

Yes. Either that or the addition under the smuggler need to be nixed and the exception should be put in the general rule on underselling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Any counter with a price is an "enterprise." As such Smugglers can undersell other smugglers, or bureaucrats, or merchants.

So, therefore, smugglers and bureaucrats can be undersold, correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
Cole Wehrle wrote:

So, therefore, smugglers and bureaucrats can be undersold, correct?

Yup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.