Concordia» Forums » General

Subject: First play, with Salsa or not? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
Hello,

I just bought Concordia together with the Salsa expansion. I am really looking forward to playing this game
I wanted some advice for my first play of Concordia, should I just start with the Salsa expansion included or do you suggest playing the base game first? We will probably play 4 player for our first game, which map would you say is the best introductory map?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW I've never understood the frequent rush to skip playing a base game (any base game, not just Concordia) and immediately play only with expansions... The base game is excellent in its own right.

And playing a base game first has at least 2 advantages: you learn the core rules and strategies more easily, and you later get the aha-enjoyment of comparing with better understanding how the expansion alters them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmb
vojnikMon wrote:
Hello,

I just bought Concordia together with the Salsa expansion. I am really looking forward to playing this game
I wanted some advice for my first play of Concordia, should I just start with the Salsa expansion included or do you suggest playing the base game first? We will probably play 4 player for our first game, which map would you say is the best introductory map?

Thanks!

Base game, and use the base game map on the 4-5 player side.

Especially with 4 players you want to reduce the amount of downtime, if players have access to the special player powers from Salsa they will take longer on their turn too. It's already quite a long game for your first play at 4 players. Plus to use the special powers effectively you have to understand the basic strategy of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
FWIW I've never understood the frequent rush to skip playing a base game (any base game, not just Concordia) and immediately play only with expansions... The base game is excellent in its own right.

And playing a base game first has at least 2 advantages: you learn the core rules and strategies more easily, and you later get the aha-enjoyment of comparing with better understanding how the expansion alters them.

I don't really want to rush it, the reason I asked is because I bought them together, couldn't find the base game before, however I saw so many people raving how good the expansion was and I thought would make better first impression as a whole. But will take your advice and start with the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion is good, but not essential, by any means. Play with one of the new maps if you like, but the new mechanics are - at best - for variety only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the base game, keep playing it until you feel the need to add Salsa. It will still be there waiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

There are different kinds of expansions, though.

There are expansions that increase the breadth or scope of a game. These serve to make it bigger, give players more.

There are expansions that are designed to be used right from the start. These could be additional factions or adding more players.

There are expansions that offer alternative scenarios (maps, etc.). These give different ways to play.

There are expansions that fix issues with a game or make it a more complete experience.

The reasoning to jump into playing with expansions can be different based on the perception of what those expansions do for the game and the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do NOT.

You will just spend an extra hour monitoring everyone and answering rules questions for absolutely no reason since no one will actually know how to play yet without the expansion much less with it.

This game is one of the best euros out there without the expansion.

For enthusiasts, the expansion adds more. It does nothing to aid in learning the game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e wrote:
russ wrote:

There are different kinds of expansions, though.

I completely agree that there are different kinds of expansions, but I don't see how that conflicts with my point that it's typically better for new players to learn the base game than to jump in immediately with expansions.

Quote:
There are expansions that are designed to be used right from the start. These could be additional factions or adding more players.

I'd still play the base game first, but of course YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Shanmugasundaram
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple question > simple answer:

Play base game only, with 5-player map.

Long version:
Get used to the base rules, eliminate rules misinterpretations, explore a couple strategies in a more open environment.

Later, you can add rules/modules from Salsa, add more opportunity for rules misinterpretations and resolve them quickly, increase competition with a tighter map that limits/directs/forces particular strategies
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaphod Beeblebrox
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally speaking, I agree with most of the posters here: for any given game, play the base game at least a few times before including an expansion.

But I found Concordia to be a little different. Salsa includes a tighter map which works better at smaller player counts. Thus, if you're playing with 2P, it might be worth using Salsa right away just for the tighter map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
Generally speaking, I agree with most of the posters here: for any given game, play the base game at least a few times before including an expansion.

I agree! I'm always surprised when I read rules questions in an expansion forum and somewhere realise that the OP has problems with the rules of the core game.

Quote:

But I found Concordia to be a little different. Salsa includes a tighter map which works better at smaller player counts. Thus, if you're playing with 2P, it might be worth using Salsa right away just for the tighter map.

But you can use the tighter map without salt and without forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It is worth noting that the smaller (Italy) map in the base game also works fine for 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Lazov
Macedonia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Just played my first Concordia game (base game only) and it definitely would have lasted much longer with additional expansion rules. People seem to have hard time adjusting to the trading limitation of 2 types of resources. In addition all strategies were really unknown until the end game scoring but hopefully we will have actual game plans next time
I won by a very slight points advantage because I bought a lot of the cards near the end of the game.

All in all I love this game, had fun the entire time and the cover doesn't do this game justice, gameplay is awesome and the board + components actually look beautiful. Can't wait to play it again !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
vojnikMon wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions.

People seem to have hard time adjusting to the trading limitation of 2 types of resources.

This is definitely the rule where I give everyone a hard look like they might be an idiot and triple check that they understand. For some reason someone always misses it a teeny bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody wants to understand this rule. It's a hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.