Subject: Any impressions on the expansion gameplay yet? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the expansion at Essen which was a no-brainer for me since I really like the base game. I didn't get a chance to play the game, yet. Only read the rules.

What's your impression on the new gameplay? Does it add to the game? Does it take away the simplicity of the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it once yesterday, so this really is a first impression:
- It seems to integrate very well with the base game. It gives you a lot of new options to look after, which is great and it really does not remove the simplicity of the base game. You might feel a little bit overwhelm for the very first game but I don't think it'll last at all.

- I'm not sure yet about grand temple VS guilds yet, It looks like you can't let your opponant take all 3 of them.

- I like the fact that you have to be carreful not to give your opponent the new little markers, especially in Age3 I feel.

- I also like a lot the fact that the gold is more important, because you need a lot to buy gods. that reinforce yellow cards.

- The science victory has been made easier if you have green gods out, which is a good thing.

- Military also got new options.

- I love the fact that you don't take a card when you buy a god, that again adds new tactical options.

So not more complicated, not longer, and more options, this looks like a winner to me! Of course this is a first impression
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Starek
Czech Republic
Sezimovo Usti
flag msg tools
REALLY badass
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games played and I agree with the above.
Apart from new options, the main points are:

+ buying the God is the only action that DOESN'T remove the card from the drafting structure. There used to be too little options to mix up the turn order, when required.
+ The Gods add a lot of replayability. Only 5 of 15 cards are in the game at any given time, so there's a lot to look after and adapt your strategy for.
+ I for one agree with the decision to remove Guilds. They were kind of bland.

- the Gods are heavily expensive, you don't get to have the abudance of money as in the base game. Might be a good thing for some...
- the components don't fit in the base box without throwing away the insert... or having a slightly lifted lid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivier Mc'Art
Belgium
Lillois
flag msg tools
AllYearLong Santa
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the two comments above.
To add on the downside, it seems that, at least in the beginning, you take longer to play a game as there are way more options and symbols to manage.

Also, the expansion has a very difficult task: to expand a game that was very good already. You may find new options, new ways of playing, but it's difficult to say the expansion is a must have: it changes the game, it's also very nice, but I don't think I'll stop to play the base game. Now I have two great games to play with, and we will probably alternate depending on the mood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
myyysha wrote:

Is it possible to mix the temple cards and the guild cards and just pull three from a combined stack? I'm not sure if I want to retire my Guilds just yet. They may be bland, but I don't think I've even pulled them all yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it could be a problem if you remove too many science card, or military card for exemple, it could make some strategies randomly impossible to achieve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice. You can buy a God and not draw a card is a very good option for this game.

I hope they make great temples for regular 7 wonders!!! I feel that guilds are too random in Age 3 or for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Whaleyland wrote:
myyysha wrote:

Is it possible to mix the temple cards and the guild cards and just pull three from a combined stack? I'm not sure if I want to retire my Guilds just yet. They may be bland, but I don't think I've even pulled them all yet!

chaps357 wrote:
I think it could be a problem if you remove too many science card, or military card for exemple, it could make some strategies randomly impossible to achieve

If I understand correctly he doesn't want to increase the number of purple cards present in the game. This would indeed shift balance too much towards civilian victory and also would increase the number of distinguishable cards (from the back), which might not be desired.
But drawing from a combined stack doesn't work either, as the great temples scoring is cumulative and they are linked to the mythology (as an alternative buying condition rather than to pay normal costs).

You just have to play the base game with guilds and the expansion with temples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fabris
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Played first time Pantheon yesterday and I agree with above comments about new tactical options.
Playing Gods could be very powerful and place them in the "correct" way during phase 1 is quite strategic.
Also I like the improvement over science (I reckon science victory in vanilla game quite impossible to achieve) and the replacement of guilds (in my games they were quickly discarded to gain coins).

Let's see netx plays because my wife hated me for last victory achieved with war due to Roman Gods

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Futch
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
darknight74 wrote:
Played first time Pantheon yesterday and I agree with above comments about new tactical options.
Playing Gods could be very powerful and place them in the "correct" way during phase 1 is quite strategic.
Also I like the improvement over science (I reckon science victory in vanilla game quite impossible to achieve) and the replacement of guilds (in my games they were quickly discarded to gain coins).

Let's see netx plays because my wife hated me for last victory achieved with war due to Roman Gods

Actually, science victory is far from impossible. In fact, it is a strategy that is very difficult to defend against in the vanilla game once certain cards and the law token are acquired. Once a player commits in this direction, it basically becomes a game of trashing and blocking. My 10 year old plays this strategy just about every time, and I have watched her beat seasoned players with it who were not expecting it. In fact, she has come within a move of beating me 2x with it and I am expecting it. If you can manage to acquire 4 different symbols going into the final age, then your opponent will have to take great care to prevent you from getting 2 more and the win depending on which cards are in the game. If you manage to make it to the final age with 4 and law token totaling 5, then I would say victory is pretty much guaranteed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick McClure
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
musiclover777 wrote:
darknight74 wrote:

Actually, science victory is far from impossible. In fact, it is a strategy that is very difficult to defend against in the vanilla game once certain cards and the law token are acquired. Once a player commits in this direction, it basically becomes a game of trashing and blocking. My 10 year old plays this strategy just about every time, and I have watched her beat seasoned players with it who were not expecting it. In fact, she has come within a move of beating me 2x with it and I am expecting it. If you can manage to acquire 4 different symbols going into the final age, then your opponent will have to take great care to prevent you from getting 2 more and the win depending on which cards are in the game. If you manage to make it to the final age with 4 and law token totaling 5, then I would say victory is pretty much guaranteed.

I agree that science is by no means impossible. I've only played 4 games, but I've won 2 of those with science. Like Joel said, if you can have three or four different symbols going into the third age, and you have a wonder that gives you an extra turn, it's very likely that you will be able to manipulate turn order to get another science card, and now you're very close to winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In the vanilla game: people will adapt and make alternative victory conditions hard to achieve. Still they very much influence the game as intended.

The expansion is great and adds even more tension. The positioning of the gods in age I is a great element and changes your approach to the drafting. I've seen myself taken 1 stone for 1$ over free stone, just for not giving my opponent the opportunity to reveal cards (which was greatly welcomed in the base game)!

The positioning of the gods in itself is also very interesting. Will you place gods on your cheap spots or put them to opponent's cheap spots, speculating for even better stuff (maybe the gate)?

Age II is a blast now with all gods usually gone at the end of the age. Very agonising decisions here (especially with RA involved).

It's hard for age III to compete with this. But it's still very exciting, because alternative win conditions might become a bit more present and overall outcome might also be obvious a bit later on average than in the base game. You have more interaction with the discard pile now and even interaction with the cards in the box (using promo Statue of Liberty) for more surprises.
I don't miss guilds. Great temples are not that exciting too, but still give a better experience.

Overall I feel science is strenghtened most by the expansion. While the probability of law to appear via progress token is lowered the overall probability for 7 avalaible symbols is higher plus there is the snake. Which is very interesting in itself because not building science at all might be one of the counters to green victory now (but you certainly have to discard green in this case or better use it for your wonder).
The promo wonder is also most critical for science and great btw. Make sure you get one.

Military is strenghtened a bit too, but there are some counters built in as well like Minerva token and protected money (Athena?). Plus it becomes very attractive now to be starting player in age II which further weakens the early military play in age I.

Great library is probably weakened a bit.

Overall money is even more important now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.