2 Posts

Tri-Ominos» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Not bad, but a little carelessly designed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gavin Wilson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I am reviewing here the UK edition which crazily comes in a triangular box. If there is anything that will instantly put a retailer off, it is the wasted space that comes from putting a triangular box on the shelf. Of course I bought our edition, the deluxe version where the pieces don't blow over too easily, from Amazon. I've never seen a UK shop stock this game, which is a shame.

I feel the rules have also been sloppily written, so almost the first thing I did on receipt of the game, besides discarding the box and putting the pieces in an unused pencil case, is to type up my own version of the rules which are a bit clearer to me.

I went on a two-week holiday in Greece with my partner and this was the only game we took with us besides a pack of cards, as we both wanted to learn the game. I have to say it worked pretty well in the beach tavernas with a beer.

Goodness knows how much strategy there is to the game, as often you are grateful if you can make any move at all, let alone a good move. It pays to look at all the pieces, so you will observe that the pieces with three different numbers are all configured in clockwise ascending order. This means that some final segments of each hexagon can never be filled.

We have come across one glitch already: midgame you can be left with a piece that you know you can never play (typically a triple) because all the doubletons with the same number have already been used. Because you therefore cannot achieve the goal of using up all your pieces, you have to aim for a different goal, such as completing hexagons or making it difficult for your opponent. Not a showstopper, but I am not sure this is a consequence the designer foresaw.

Anyway the game is quite compact, the pieces are tactile, and you can play it in a pub, attracting as much or as little interest as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest issue w/ the game was more that if you can't play, you have to keep drawing tiles until you _can_ play - at a penalty of -5 points per tile. Get rid of that rule and it's not so bad, but to go from having a reasonable score to losing 30+ points in one go just because you keep getting bad draws is pretty bad. That rule pretty much moved it into my "don't really want to play" pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.