13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Please help finding a manufacturer for our game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Kovanen
Finland
flag msg tools
Our company is based in Finland, Europe, and we are planning to publish a board game. At first we'd love to give it out to our employees and customers, and hopefully later also to a wider audience. Design of the game is progressing well with a free lance game designer, and now would be a good time to contact manufacturers. I have no prior experience with any company working on this field, so I welcome any help.

Some details for the game:

- Number of games manufactured: 500 pieces (first batch)
- Contents:
- nice box
- cardboard coins
- cards (100 - 150 pieces, all have custom design)
- 5 boards (out of which four are identical)
- 4 screens (one for each player)
- Dozens of chips / wooden blocks etc.

All items, maybe except for the wooden blocks, should have custom design by us.

We are in a tight schedule so if possible, we'd love to have games ready by Christmas.

I don't think we'll get everything perfect for the first time so I'd also appreciate possibility to first create a few prototypes.

If you were in my shoes, who would you contact? Thanks a lot for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
China.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toy Vault Inc.
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
I think you are going to have a very hard time having a game in hand by Christmas. You'll need to find a local printer if you want that to happen. Any order to China wouldn't be delivered before Christmas most likely.

500 copies is a small amount, most Chinese factories have a minimum of 1000-2000, and really 3000 is where the price per unit becomes reasonable.

Is the graphic design work done? You'll need to do that before you can send the game to a factory.

Do not try and get a prototype to catch errors, that is the most expensive time to fix them. check, double check, and then triple check the digital files before sending them to the factory, and hope you caught all the problems.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Kovanen
Finland
flag msg tools
Thanks, great tips!

Can you recommend some reliable Chinese companies I could be in touch with? I don't have a problem scaling the production up to at least a 1000 copies.

We'll check Finnish printing houses as well, and if required we could - as a last resort - simplify the design.

I could also even consider a "hybrid" production, where some of the material would come from a local supplier and some from China. This would give us some extra time to finish the design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Qwerty
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkovanen wrote:
Thanks, great tips!

Can you recommend some reliable Chinese companies I could be in touch with? I don't have a problem scaling the production up to at least a 1000 copies.

We'll check Finnish printing houses as well, and if required we could - as a last resort - simplify the design.

I could also even consider a "hybrid" production, where some of the material would come from a local supplier and some from China. This would give us some extra time to finish the design.

wingo industries
panda game maufacturing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Europe it sounds too small for Ludofact. I don't know what Piatnik's minimum is. There is a Polish company I saw at the UK Games Expo, but ditto and I've lost their details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Chaz
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Honestly, if I were in your shoes I would contact Doc Brown and have him take me back to 2014 in the DeLorean. Your production schedule is way too short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Kovanen
Finland
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone for tips and giving realistic level of expectation.

In order to be able to give the game as a christmas present to our employees we'll need to go forward with a local printing house and come up with a design simple enough that they can implement it.

However, in addition we'll need some chips, tokens, money etc. Are there online stores with a wide variety of miscellaneous gaming equipment - preferably in Europe and with English web site? I'd prefer a store where I could directly order the stuff I need without requesting quotation from a sales person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no personal experience with this page, but they're european (based in Germany), have an english page, and sell all kinds of wooden game components in bulk. It was linked on another forum thread here on BGG where they were looking for piece replacements.

https://www.spielematerial.de/en/game-components/game-pieces...

Give it a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
pkovanen wrote:

- cards (100 - 150 pieces, all have custom design)

I'm just picking out one detail, because this is something that I have encountered recently when I produced my game ("Das Katastrophenspiel," which debuted at the Spiel 2016 game fair in Essen):

Printing 110 cards costs a certain amount and printing even 1 more card costs 1.5-2 times as much, because the printer needs to put it on a new sheet.

So, my advice is to check back with your manufacturers to find out what their threshold is. Once you know the limit, you can decide whether the additional cost is worth it or whether you can prune your design (and perhaps even improving on it, by cutting back extraneous bits) to fit the number of cards that go on one printing run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Seriously man, China. Someone has praised a 'WinGo Industries' in the thread below, so read about that. It seams they are really fast and have a solid quality. Start Googling for a phone number if you are under time pressure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sears
Wales
Hengoed
flag msg tools
mb
I put together a huge manufacturer list, in my blog. It may be of interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Haines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think you could possibly do this for christmas this year if you threw caution to the wind, took no prototypes and had all of your assets done within a couple of weeks and submitted immediately to http://www.boardgamesmaker.com/.

Other places may be cheaper, but I think they would do a decent job, you can submit it all online and you can get 500 copies (or a single prototype) from them.

Realistically I'd expect there to be some issues - probably there would be some mistakes creeping in somewhere, and they may not arrive by Chrimbo anyway.

Next year (that is, december 2017) would be more realistic. You should probably also be aware of the costs.
In quantities of 500, boardgamesmaker charge:
Medium Square Game Box 3" Height : $6.50
pick one :
- 18" quad-fold board : $4.00
- 8*Tiles 3" x 6" : $3.08
- 4*10" boards (identical) + 1*10"board : 4*$1.95+1*$2.6=$10.4
144 poker cards $9.75
Circle Game Tiles 0.75" Micro size, 72 of : $1.54
4*medium player screen : $3.24
10mm wooden cube at $0.03 each * 40 : $1.2

So we're looking at something like $30 each, or $16,000 total. Plus postage. Plus import duties and tax.
A single prototype will cost something like 4 times as much.

Incidentally, you may also want a rule book, which would add to the cost, and the design effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.