SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: Which Type of Pen to Use? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Preparing for our first game of Seafall on Monday and wondering which type of pen would you recommend having on hand to write with. Standard ballpoint? Gel ink? Fine Sharpie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wouldn't hurt to have one of each :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justen wrote:
Preparing for our first game of Seafall on Monday and wondering which type of pen would you recommend having on hand to write with. Standard ballpoint? Gel ink? Fine Sharpie?

We are using fine Sharpies as well as one ball point pen (each is a different colour (matching the province colours), but I didn't have Sharpies in all the right colours, so we used a purple ball point). Both types seem to work well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Neville
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
We got colored sharpies, and each player picks a color. We decided not to specifically aim for using the colors of the provinces, so I'm using a black sharpie even though my province is green.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wenadin01 wrote:
We got colored sharpies, and each player picks a color. We decided not to specifically aim for using the colors of the provinces, so I'm using a black sharpie even though my province is green.

+1 for colored sharpies to lay claim to what you've explored and named!

(our gray player is pink, though, because silver is too hard to read)

I love the sight of my beautiful blue-named Islands!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Would you recommend Ultra Fine Sharpies or Fine? Basically, is Fine too thick to write well on the board/book, or is Ultra Fine too thin for some of the lighter colours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ruzzo
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justen wrote:
Would you recommend Ultra Fine Sharpies or Fine? Basically, is Fine too thick to write well on the board/book, or is Ultra Fine too thin for some of the lighter colours?

We used ultra fine. I think Fine would be too thick to properly write in the small spaces provided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the following 2 pack at Target for our 4 player game and it works great. I tried to use a normal ball point pen when I first got Risk Legacy and it was terrible.

We just keep a pen on each side of the table and works great.

http://www.target.com/p/sharpie-permanent-marker-ultra-fine-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
I tried to use a normal ball point pen when I first got Risk Legacy and it was terrible.

We had that issue with Pandemic Legacy, ball point pens didn't work too well on the back of the character cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grabbed these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IFI7/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Twelve pens for $7.30 (free shipping through Prime), and each faction writes their stuff (island names, advisor names, etc) in their own color, so we have a bit of built-in history being kept. Works great, and my kids will have a new pen set to draw with after the campaign!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Justen wrote:

We use regular sharpies. I've had trouble in the past with ultra-fines not taking well to glossy surfaces. Fines would probably work though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been using a mixture of ball-point and fine sharpie.

Ball-point doesn't have smudging issues, and it's easy to write on the cardboard, but doesn't work as well with the cards. It typically requires several passes of the pen to get enough ink down, but you also don't want to press too hard and make imprints into the card itself, as that will "mark" the card on the back.

Fine sharpie is a lot clearer than ball-point, but we have had an issue where it's smudged because it wasn't completely dry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just make sure to do the "Polaroid shake" after we use the extra fine sharpies and then it is good to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wuyley wrote:
We just make sure to do the "Polaroid shake" after we use the extra fine sharpies and then it is good to go.

Harder if it's the board

My recommendation would be sharpie for cards, ball-point for board
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Torell
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Android:Netrunner videos: http://www.peachhack.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We picked up a pair of these, which seem to fill every need: https://www.amazon.com/Sharpie-Permanent-Markers-Marker-3210...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Foster
United States
Highland Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have experience with Sharpie Pens? They might be the same as the Ultra Fines really, but I have a set of 10 colors that I can pull a match for each province from. Just curious if anyone has tried them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H.
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Another vote for Sharpie Ultra Fine tip. I like the idea of getting ones of the different colors for each province but we've already started with black for everybody.

I also tested a variety of Gel, Ballpoint, Pigment, and a fountain pen and found that they all smeared so much I was able to almost completely erase them with a damp paper towel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got a pair of the "twin tip" pens waiting for my copy to arrive. I liked the idea of a thin nib for names etc, but the wider nib for filling in the boxes on the ship upgrades and for crossing things out in the book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.