Deception: Murder in Hong Kong» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion and a Cthulhu version of Deception rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I talked briefly about Deception: Murder in Hong Kong with Grey Fox Games at Essen and they told me they're trying to get the rights for the game to release an expansion for it.

They're also planning a Cthulhu themed reimplementation of the game with a Kickstarter campaign.

I'm all in for an expansion and for the Cthulhu version, although I'm not sure if it really brings anything new or better compared to the original theme which I happen to like a lot.

Did anyone else hear anything about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Barberton
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cthulhu version of Deception
Sure. …why not slap a Cthulhu theme onto another one of my favorite games?
…everything is fine
…doesn't annoy me at all
…seriously, guys I'm fine
…it's actually sort of original if you try not to think about it
…the hobby could really use more of that lovable little elder god
…I mean, it makes sense …right?
…because …you just don't see enough Cthulhu in games these days …right?
…yeah

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Cthulhu version of Deception
I'm actually surprised how much it apparently can annoy someone.

I know Cthulhu is becoming an overused theme but since they're anyways planning for making an expansion, I see no harm in another version as it can draw in new players and drive more sales for them.
While the theme of Deception has some originality with its Chinese setting and translation, it's otherwise really generic and I can see some people ignoring the game because of it.

It's a very good game and I think more people should be drawn to it whether it's the Cthulhu theme or something else that does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansion? Yes, please

Yet another game with Cthulhu slapped on it? Pass, and not so interested in other expansions for the game.

Cthulhu has been done to death. The Cthulhu books were an okay read, not a great read. I bet there would be a lot less Cthulhu if people had to pay for the ip. I can't blame the publisher going for the easy money by slapping the theme on, I just won't buy another Cthulhu game or expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siel Oren
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any fantasy re-theme would be epic, i don't mind it being cthulhu if that's what they offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would buy an expansion in a heartbeat! More means and evidence cards? Yes, please! More clue tiles? Don't mind if I do! Cthulhu theme? ....wtf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Cthulhu being on everything either but consider this: if the card backs remain the same as the original, and all the cards/tiles are different (except for role cards of course), it could basically serve as an expansion, which would mean we'd effectively be getting two expansions instead of one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.