Subject: What metric do you use to rate games on BGG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I know, this sort of thing gets asked a zillion times. However, I'm not trying to judge here. You rate the games the way you rate the games and I'm mostly fine with that (except for a few of you, and you know who you are!).

What I want to know is HOW do people rate the games here on BGG? For instance, I rate by the BGG suggested metric of "How much do you want to play this game?" combined with a touch of "How much do I like the game?" , but I feel it's a useful way of placing game on a scale. There are, of course, drawbacks to that scale. For example, I just gave Mansions of Madness 2ed a 6.5 and I felt a little bad for the poor game. I think that as a game it's more like an 8 or 9, but it's not MY kind of game, so for me, it's a 6.5 (maybe even a 6 but I wanted to give it a bump out of guilt). I just would never say "hey, let's play MoM!" If I changed my ratings to "How objectively good do you think this game is?" my ratings might be more helpful for other people, but less useful for me.

So, what are YOUR metrics for rating a game? Desire to play? Objective quality? Amount you've been bribed by the publisher? Day of the week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate the games how much I like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Boston
United Kingdom
Prenton
Wirral
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate games after 1 play. I reserve the right to change my mind and re-rate at a later date due to changing conditions, additional plays, etc.

That said, I rate the game on how much I have enjoyed playing it. I have a general rule of thumb that games rated 1-3 will require extreme coercion to make me play again, 4-6 I will play if there are no better options available and 7+ will always be happy to play (obviously increasing as you approach 10).

I do try and follow the tips on BGG about how much you like the game (although I don't agree that there is such a thing as a perfect game, I have rated a few 10s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate & rank games based on how much I like them, I try to look at a scale of 1 - 10 and think of 10 as thee best game I have ever liked in my entire life (so far) and 1 being the exact opposite of 10. So for me a natural curve of distribution is what I'm going for. My rating should look low at the ends and high in the middle.

Someone once asked me why I would keep games with a rating of 8 or less, why don't I just get rid of them if I don't like them at all?

That's not how I operate.

lastly, I never take into consideration of how others might think of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is no objectively good for games becasue there is no useful definition of what a good game is. There is instead majority thinks it's good - which you can only truly arrive at if everyone votes what they feel, not what they think should be.

I find the BGG hints workable and since that's what this site provides, that is how I rate. Standards are important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use whole even numbers

"2" very bad game
"4" bad game
"6" ok game
"8" very good game
"10" super game

That's as finely grained as it needs to be for my purposes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Entirely subjective. I'm not a game designer so I don't care about "quality" separate from my own personal enjoyment. I'm not a reviewer, so I don't feel any obligation to reward a game's strengths if I didn't care for it overall. I generally assign a rating based on which of the "guideline" descriptions BFF offers I think best matches my own feelings. Although I have a problem with how anything above a 7 is supposed to require to me "never turn down a game". If I took this too seriously, I doubt whether any game would make it to 8 or beyond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate a combination of my desire to play with the quality of the game/components and the quality of the gameplay.

Game I always want to play with awesome components and is a "good" game.

Game does not work 0

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Troutman
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
I find the BGG hints workable and since that's what this site provides, that is how I rate. Standards are important.

This is my general guideline as well. I also like to provide some comments to give any reader an idea of why I chose the rating I did.

On the flip-side, I appreciate it when other users leave comments as well. If they're written objectively, it can really help to determine if I would like the game even if the 'rater' did not.

Also, I never rate a game I haven't played at least once, and I generally prefer to wait until I have played 2-3 times (or more).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
Borghal wrote:

I do this.

I rate games I genuinely love well, and games I dislike badly, but I do so according to the hints/suggestions. I'd never number rate anything these days personally, but a standard rating system with hints is fine.

That does come with the issue of seeing a lot of people rating games a 10 or a 0 when they enjoy them/do not enjoy them against the hints albeit, but, well, that's a problem with numbered rating systems in general isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wear
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much follow your method, skutsch. How much do I want to play, how much do I like playing it, and how much I appreciate the design of the game. I don't really ask myself these three questions, though. It's just how do I feel about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
I don't rate games. My opinion changes often and I don't want to try to keep up with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Borghal wrote:
There is no objectively good for games becasue there is no useful definition of what a good game is. There is instead majority thinks it's good - which you can only truly arrive at if everyone votes what they feel, not what they think should be.

Exactly. I'm not rating for myself. I know how much I like/dislike certain games, so why would I go in and click a button? It's because I find BGG ratings and rankings interesting. They're most meaningful if everyone votes according to the same rubric, and I want my ratings to mean something!

I am sure there are both better and worse rating scales, but I'll always use the BGG-suggested scale because it being the most common makes it the most useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I use my own scale, not BGGs.

1 : Don't understand how this game got published.
2-4 : Various shades of I'll never play the game again.
5 : I'll reluctantly play the game if there's nothing else to do.
6 : Games that have potential but there's some mechanic I don't like.
7 : Here's where I'll never turn down a game. With some games I modify the rules to make the game better. (Raptor - All cards are drawn instead of three; Keyflower - Once a meeple is public knowledge there's no more hidding them behind the screen, ...)
8-10: Various shades of games I enjoy. This group is highly malleable. A 9 today could be a 10 tomorrow and vice versa. It really depends on my mood.

[EDIT] - In reading BGG's hints, I'm not that far off. Good job Venser!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly try and rate as objectively as possible, but am prone to allowing some of my opinions carry into my ratings. So I guess my ratings are: "How much do I like playing this game?" and "How well does this game work in it's mechanics, etc?"

For instance: I played Castles of Burgundy and really wasn't all too impressed. However, it is in the top 10 BGG games of all time, and it was smooth gameplay.

Another example would be Ghost Stories. I really like Ghost Stories. It is fun, Thematic, and tense. Also the game play is smooth and the strategy is apparent. I rated this game exceptionally high because it answered both questions well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Check out Clockwork Wars. It's a pretty darn good dudes on a hex map Euro'ish steampunk game. Quick and fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:
I don't rate games. My opinion changes often and I don't want to try to keep up with it.;)

If you don't rate your games, how can I know whether or not you're a good person?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whim and happenstance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Saccenti
United States
Colora
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use my own phrasings of what the ratings mean to me. But when compared to the BGG guidelines, I don't consider them to be so very different. My phrasings are:

-10-: The very best.
|9|: An all-time favorite, I am happy to play this any day or night.
-8-: A great game, and one that I am always comfortable recommending to others.
-7-: A very good game. Almost always happy to play.
-6-: A good game that I'm often willing to play.
-5-: An okay game that I'm sometimes willing to play.
-4-: I would rather not play this.
-3-: I am not playing this again.
-2-: I am warning others about this game.
-1-: I am angry with myself--and possibly others--for having played this.

Looking at it now, it seems my phrasings center around the notion of my "interest/willingness in playing again."

One thing for sure: a few years ago, I noticed that my ratings tended to cluster around -7- a lot, and I went back re-rating everything, with a goal toward letting a -5- rating mean just that, an average ("okay" -- "mediocre") game. My sense is that most raters here on BGG view a -5- -rating as somewhat negative, rather than average
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also pretty much follow Skutch's method. How good do I think that game is combined with how much do I like playing it. I'll get down to 0.5 splits, but not really any further. Like Skutch, I've rated a few relatively low & feel sorry for the game, but I don't personally enjoy them, so there they sit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How much I like the game, which is loosely translated as how much i want to play the game. In comments or posts I can definitely say "I don't like Game X, but I can see that it is a 'good' [well-designed, efficient game, for example]" but that latter fact won't go into my rating.
I'm sure I've rated some games reasonably highly that are not very "good" games, if such a thing can be objectively said.
That said, I also don't rate very many games :) I need to get in the habit of rating (or re-rating) each time I log a play.

I have only rated games twice based on a non-play scenario:
- Zombies!!!, - 10 - in respect/memorial to the designer;
- Airborne In Your Pocket, - 1 - because I'm never going to get it because the project creator ran off to Australia with our money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play the game 2-3 times before rating the game, and then the rating is always prone to change (can go up or down the scale).
I use my own rating system, to what, according to me, make a great game.
All my games are rated like this.

Quote:

COMPLETE RATING:

SCORE CRITERIA WEIGHTING ------- STAR RATING SCALE -------

(8.0) FUN (x15): BORING REALLY FUN

(8.0) GAMEPLAY (x5): NO DEPTH LOT OF DEPTH (FOR THE WEIGHT)
(8.0) GAME FLOW (x5): FIDDLY SILKY SMOOTH
(8.0) DOWNTIMES (x2): LOT OF ZERO
(8.0) RANDOMNESS (x2): PURE LUCK PURE SKILLS
(8.0) MECHANICS (x2): BORING INTERESTING / INNOVATIVE

(8.0) REPLAYABILITY (x5): ZERO INFINITE
(8.0) SCALABILITY (x3): POOR GREAT AT ALL PLAYER COUNTS
(8.0) PORTABILITY (x1): BULKY SUPER EASY TO PLAY ANYWHERE

(8.0) THEME (x1): UNATTRACTIVE ATTRACTIVE
(8.0) AESTHETICS (x1): UGLY GORGEOUS
(8.0) COMPONENTS (x1): LOW QUALITY HIGH QUALITY
(8.0) VALUE (x2): TOO EXPENSIVE REALLY CHEAP(LOW COST FOR WHAT WE GET)

(8.0) SETUP TIME (x2): LONG ZERO
(8.0) GAME LENGTH (x2): TOO SHORT/LONG JUST PERFECT
(8.0) RULES COMPLEXITY (x1): COMPLEX SIMPLE

TOTAL = 400.0/50 = 8.00

thumbsup POSITIVE POINTS:

++ ABC

thumbsdown NEGATIVE POINTS:

-- ABC

I try to be the most objective possible in the categories that I can according to their scale, and I use the most important factor, fun, to try to stay close to the BGG scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Armstrong
United States
Rolette
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly how much I like the game, slightly modified by how "good" the design is "objectively." How often I want to play isn't the greatest metric in my experience: I tend to lean toward longer, grand games, doesn't mean I want to play one every play session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Where's the poll?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate them on how good the game is rather than my personal taste. I might hate a game but its actually a good game so I have to rate it highly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I use the suggested metric. If someone doesn't want to use the suggested metric that's fine but then don't rate things on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.