$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49.1% of Goal | left

Support:

Søren Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi community.

I have been playing Lotr for years and have all expansions etc. Being a boardgame senior citizen (49 yo.) all of my lotr gaming has been solo (mostly two handed). Finally I have found the time to go to a game night at the local store in the near future. That leads to my questions on the unwritten rules about "just show up" events with players you don't know:

1) What type decks should I not bring
2) What decks are good to bring?
3) How many decks do you normally bring?
4) Do you bring all your cards? Or just sideboards?

And are there any advice you can give about style of play that you l8ke / dislike when playing- besides having fun of course ☺

Any other good advice?

Cheers

Søren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmb
I would bring 2 or 3 decks only, maybe a few sideboards. Honestly It's probably not that big of a deal if multiple people have the same hero. I haven't been to too many public meetups for this game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles wohlganger
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Gandalf and Grima hero or doomed themed decks are generally poor form. Core gandalf is such a staple that denying everyone else from playing him is problematic. Grima and doomed in general are hard for other decks to deal with. Try playing your decks two-handed, and if any of them can't hack it when teamed up with another deck, don't bring them.

2) Anything unique or using lesser used heroes is especially good, but most decks should be fine.

3) However many you feel comfortable with. As you go more often, you'll have a better idea of what other people are bringing and what you should bring to complement.

4) Just decks and sideboards. There's no need to bring anything you won't use. This isn't a card-trading game.

Bring your own threat tracker and counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Tadley
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you rock up with a Gandalf deck you may not be invited back!

Jokes aside, Gandalf is a special case because the ally card is so damn powerful, but really anything that has a huge number of uniques is best avoided, at least until you are playing with people you know a bit better and have more co-ordinated decks.

Some people also dislike Outlands players, as it has less interesting mechanics.

That said, it's a co-op game, the community at large is full of awesome people. So don't stress too much and have a great time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas McGranor Jr
United States
Erie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't play with new people very often, but when we do, I always try to have at least 1 backup hero. And backups for any Allies in my deck that have hero version.

If you're doing anything crazy, make sure you can help other decks. If you love Grima like I do, make sure you can handle everyone's threat. If you can't quest well, include plenty of Ranged and/or Sentinel. Don't count on having access to Steward of Gondor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sawler
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's an organized group with a forum or Facebook event, you could ask what others are bringing and plan that way. So that way everyone won't bring all combat decks or questing decks. Alternatively, build a questing deck and combat deck and fill in where you think your team will be lacking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Gibson
United States
Sioux City
Iowa
flag msg tools
Vendictar
badge
Serious Wizardry
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you will find about the LOTR community is that most of the people are amazing and more than willing to help out those who are new or don't play in groups often.

I'd say bring a few decks, and I bet the people you play with will be more than happy to make it work. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.