Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I ask this question to the persons who obviously know about the Deep Madness Kickstarter.

Both games have my attention but I can only afford one.
Of course they are not the same game but they seem to scratch the same Dungeon crawling itch.

Do some people have an opinion on why choosing one rather than the other?

Any opinion is fine as long as it is based on a comparison (if you don't know about DM, just don't write a comment about why you pledged for DLMM, it just won't help).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Navarro
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I currently have a $1 pledge in Deep Madness and got a early bird pledge during Darklight's kickstarter. I can't say much about DM, since my plan is to just wait until their pledge manager is up and then decide if the game is good enough for me.

Now, regarding DL, I've watched all videos they posted, read all comments and updates. DL really seems to be an amazing game. The combat is dynamic, similar to KDM in the fact that you need to keep tumbling to avoid the monster's attack. The equipment grid is kinda similar to KDM as well (and by default, similar to pretty much all computer RPG games), where you have all the gear split between chest, hands, head, legs, feet, etc.

Also, Deep Madness is only coming out in November of 2017 (best case scenario). By then, I hopefully will have spent hundreds of hours playing Darklight already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 123
Greece
flag msg tools
Darklight is extremely similar to Shadows of Brimstone but with more of a Diablo 1 theme. Imagine something like a DnD board game but with far more choices, exploration and character development. Oh, and no DM! It's about 50% board game and 50% rpg. It uses only D6's so it's always easy to calculate the odds of success.

Deep Madness is purely a board game with a Dead Space/Cthulhu theme. That means it restricts you more, in case you'd ever want to create your very own campaign thus, imho reducing it's replay value.

The generic/tentacl-ish monsters and the already great amount of add-ons the later game contains (ex.expansion, even though it's not even out yet!!), are great enough reasons for me to not even consider it! Anyway..

A mini comparison:
1.Deep Madness is a scenario based game (with preset maps).
DL's maps are randomly generated and you can also 'stitch' quests together to create a campaign.
2.Deep Madness plays in limited number of game rounds.
DL doesn't have a timer.
3.The game board of Deep Madness evolves as the game progresses.
So does in DL.
4.The monsters in Deep Madness are spawned in ‘random’ locations.
In DL they spawn in the area you're at.
5.In Deep Madness the investigators and monsters take turns alternately.
In DL, each unit (hero or monster) has an initiative stat. The unit with the highest initiative goes first, then everyone else.
6.The investigators in Deep Madness could choose from many actions during their turns.
Same in DL. Attack, move, pick up loot, trade gear, etc..
7.Deep Madness has an underwater mechanism (which means you can drown).
DL is simply set inside a dungeon. You basically kill monsters and interract with some events and decorations inside some rooms (that may be harmful).
8.The monsters in Deep Madness have their distinctive characteristics.
Same in DL. Each monster has different stats and abilities.
9.The combat system in each is.. quite different, yet shares a similarity (damage-armour=wounds).
10.Deep Madness has a ‘Sanity/Madness’ mechanism. Which works like in a game where you not only have a hp bar but also an mp bar. However, when sanity is low, you need to draw a negative type of 'event' cards.
In DL, the main thing is that if you get too insane, you just lose your character. You could say that in DL, heroes have a hp, an mp and a stamina bar.

Now, I have personally played NEITHER games, and may have possibly made some errors.. so please continue with your research and pick whichever you prefer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mauro pane
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
As well as what it has been said, Darklight also features a detailed gameplay outside of the dungeons.

Explore settlements, build yourself a reputation, discover new locations so you can make settlements unique based on what they offer and even own a house, adopt an orphan, if you are a knight go jousting, become an alcoholic and create funny, scary or amazing stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all,

I asked the exact same question in the Deep Madness forum and I got equally interesting answers...but from another perspective.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23992491#23992491

Both games are appealing.

DLMM seems deeper but I already own Kingdom Death Monster which seems to scratch the same (nice) itch.

DM seems more like Zombicide on steroid. This is cool and uncool at the same time. Zombicide's mechanics are meh but DM adds a lot of ennemies which all have their own characteristics/gameplay and this seems fun. And the game seems to make use of some new mechanics that might make the difference.

Your comments are valuable, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Olszewski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you are looking for a cool game and you denied Darklight Memento Mori then I propose Vampire Hunters to you rather then Deep Madness. I pledged for both (DMM and VH) and having also Zomibicide I decide to skeep Deep Madness because it's nothing new. I think that you can find someone after the PM of Vampire Hunters is open to join it. Read about that. Vampire theme, some new mechanics, some refreshments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.