Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Rhind
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Must. Stop. Buying. Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone seen a rules pdf for this title? I'm curious to see the differences between previous sets.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet. It should appear here once available. Having looked at the physical copy, the major differences are:

1. Triggers. These cards have powers that happen when you examine them. so your Augury or Spyglass can get you into trouble. Some are good, most are bad (or at least not good by default). They range from forcing you to encounter the card with an increased difficulty, to making you take a scourge. Speaking of which...

2. Scourges. These are support cards. There are lots of way to get them, from some banes just handing them out to scenario or adventure powers. You display them and they mess with you in various ways. They might decrease your hand size. Or they might make you unable to reduce damage dealt to you. Or they might makes you bury random cards from your discard pile at the end of your turn. There are other cards to remove them.

3. Traders. These are cards that, after the scenario, let you trade some of the boons you have with some boons they offer. For example, there is a trader that offers weapons. You can trade 2 of your boons for one of his weapons. There are rules about how many cards the trader has to offer (1 more than the character visiting that trader) and rules about what they offer (cards of their type that have the same deck number or 1 less) and what you can trade (cards of the same deck or one less than what you are getting from them). So, in deck 2, if 2 characters choose to visit the weapons trader, he'll offer 3 random weapons that are either decks 1 or 2. If you want one of his deck 1 weapons, you'll need to give him 2 cards of deck B, C, or 1. If you want one of his deck 2 weapons, you'll need to give him two cards for decks 1 or 2.

That covers the major "rules" introduced. There are lots of cards that do some newer things that look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rhind
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Must. Stop. Buying. Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thank you.

I didn't jump on board with the first set. I grabbed the entire S&S which I like except for the "ship" part which to me feels a little pasted on and thrown in. Not a fan of that part of the game.

This one does feel a little "Indy-like" which seems cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
Not yet. It should appear here once available. Having looked at the physical copy, the major differences are:

1. Triggers. These cards have powers that happen when you examine them. so your Augury or Spyglass can get you into trouble. Some are good, most are bad (or at least not good by default). They range from forcing you to encounter the card with an increased difficulty, to making you take a scourge. Speaking of which...

Am I the only one who doesn't like this? It sounds like it adds randomness for no reason and will bog down gameplay. Why punish the examine ability?

The thing I liked about the first two PACG games was the streamlined gameplay, and it's why I couldn't stand WotR. More "stuff" isn't always a good thing, especially if it adds significant play time without doing anything to further the gameplay. Triggers sound like they just add one more thing to do for no good reason, more frustrating and time consuming than challenging or interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trigger mechanic doesn't always punish you. In my first game I've already seen one card that allows to to try to acquire it with a slightly easier check if you examine it instead of finding it during an explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually really like the triggers. None of them that I've seen are destroying. And if you are prepared enough, even having to encounter a card with a higher difficulty can actually be beneficial. It saves you an exploration.

This set gives you tons of things to examine location decks with. And then it gives you some reasons not to use those things. Trying to decide if it is worth the risk is part of the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, so far I like the Triggers. The worst one I've encountered so far is "Take 2 Combat damage then encounter this card."

As Hawkmoon stated, most of them allow you to encounter the card at a premium, but it saves you an explore. I'm sure they'll throw in more punishing ones later, but I like it. Lots of ways TO examine and reasons not to.

Besides, it's not a new mechanic, it's merely a new Trait. There was at least one Demon in WOTR that penalized you for examining it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Varloot
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
I actually really like the triggers. None of them that I've seen are destroying. And if you are prepared enough, even having to encounter a card with a higher difficulty can actually be beneficial. It saves you an exploration.

This set gives you tons of things to examine location decks with. And then it gives you some reasons not to use those things. Trying to decide if it is worth the risk is part of the fun.

Can I just add that - as usual - I fully agree with Hawky-Pawky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is now available for download in the resources page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.