Subject: Opinions on "best" starting moves rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roland Brüx
Germany
Stolberg
flag msg tools
Hi all.

Since I purchased this beautiful game on thursday I was wondering which good starting sequences with 6 workers are applicable.
Until now I can see the following openings in case none of the other players interferes:
1. Get 2-4 wood + 1 ore (2 workers); buy a whaling boat (1 worker) go whaling (3 workers)
--> prefered with 3 or 4 players
2. Get 2 wood from mountain strips (1 worker), buy a Knarr (2 workers) get beans and a coin from the market (1 worker), use Knarr for emigration (2 workers)
3. Get 5 resources (at least 1 stone) from mountain strips (3 workers); trapping (2 workers); trade 1 stone for rune stone and coin (1 worker)
4. Go to the market for beans and a coin; get two fishes for 1 coin (1 worker); upgrade 2 fishes (1 worker); trade flax into linen (1 worker); trade linen and hide(?) for clothes and 2 silver (2 workers)

And then there are plenty of possibilities that take resources for the second or future turns.
Which actions do you consider for your first 6 workers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
Something involving livestock maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brooks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Proud writer for iSlayTheDragon
badge
mb
I've mostly been playing solo and the considerations are likely much different because you can't easily double up on the same action two turns in a row except where there are 2 spots providing that action. I also tend to take different openings based on my starting occupation and weapon draw. Additionally, I like to go on the card draw spot early in order to give myself more possible synergy to plan around (this is also true for spots requiring 3 workers). If my occupation is strong enough and I can take advantage of it in the first turn, I try to gather stone, if possible, in order to play that card with the 1 worker spot.

I'll consider some occupation-ignorant openings and see what I can come up with. One thing I do tend toward is getting something to fill the 2x2 space on your main board in order to get income up to 2 if possible.

Seeing your openings is there a reason why you prefer the [beans and 1 silver] spot over the [draw a card and 1 silver] spot in order to get 1 silver? I much prefer the later for the reasons I mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Brüx
Germany
Stolberg
flag msg tools
dotKeller wrote:

Seeing your openings is there a reason why you prefer the [beans and 1 silver] spot over the [draw a card and 1 silver] spot in order to get 1 silver? I much prefer the later for the reasons I mentioned above.

The reason for that is that I often oversee that spot whistle respectively the coin it gains. Getting a card also seems stronger to me than getting beans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Randolph
United States
Ames
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't remember exactly how I did it but I got an ore, forged with it, and got enough stuff covered up for 2 coin and the red horn income. It worked out really nicely for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalaheo wrote:
I can't remember exactly how I did it but I got an ore, forged with it, and got enough stuff covered up for 2 coin and the red horn income. It worked out really nicely for me.

Yesterday, I also went for an early filling of the home board in order to get income. I got 3 resources from a mountain strip (2 wood & 1 stone), and then another stone from a mountain strip. That way I could buy 2 rune stones and 2 small chests in my first turn. I didn't win, but I liked the start of this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking getting the Ore bonus on the homeboard (easy, just need 5 spaces) on turn 1 can work really nicely if you abuse the forging action (3 workers) every turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark van der werf
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These are the best openings I found so far.

I think you either want to focus hard on the home board first (which you can combine with livestock) OR you just ignore the homeboard, only get 2 income of it and quickly go into longhouse or whaling/plundering/buying greys/emigrating with exploring an island.

For focusing hard on homeboard I prefer this:

3 resources and 1 upgrade, 1 resource and 1 upgrade. Use these to get 2 wood and 2 stone (not always possible) and upgrade your orange 2x2 into a green (wool) 2x2. Then crafting with 3 workers, pay 2 wood & 2 stone to get 2 blue chests and stones. This leaves you with 12 blue squares and 4 green ones, enough to get 3 income and the mead and already half of the wood bonus surrounded. Plus you get to see a new card.

I haven't found any other opening that reliably get's you 3 income plus another card. You need to cover 15 squares before income to do that which is only reliable with 3viking crafting spot I think (which is the most efficient spot that doesn't require a boat I think). There are possibilities with a succesful hunting game or snare laying move first, which is not bad to try if you get the right weapon, but you do need access to the upgrade spots as well and won't get another card first round.

3 income, mead and another card sets you up perfectly to see what you want to do second turn. This is the best way to open for livestock for example I think, as you are free to focus all vikings on that second turn and you have 3 money.

Other perhaps better openings are just getting minimal income on the main board and focusing on developing other more efficient boards after. The main board sucks a bit after the first 2x2, since you need just 4 squares for 2 income but 11 more covered for 3 income and mead and after that another 11 going to 4 income and the wood. In other words, very harsh diminishing returns. And since you're allowed to cover the -1 without every going past the bottom 2x2 it might just be best to ignore the main board for most of the game.

Openings of upgrading your orange 2x2 twice and getting a bigger boat so you can get a nice island and plundering or buy greys the second turn are pretty good I think.
The whaling opening, (wood per player + ore, buy 3-boat, go whaling) is also very nice. If the whaling fails you just get crafting 2 and still get 2 income and you're set for more whaling and an island second turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rothfeder
msg tools
designer
mb
you're missing the grab wood, get a boat claim an island first round. It doesn't seem as effective as you're not increasing your effective production first round, but it does a lot of things for you.

1: set's you up to quickly get to 5 income (2 from home board, 3 from island) on round 2 (more or less depending on the island and actions you take next round, but Shetland and Iceland aren't too hard to do)

2: it also gives you more attractive bonus spots to build to then the core board

3: Islands are limited, getting one early garuntees that you aren't left without one

4: Islands are one of the few sources of positive points

5: you still have the boat to do other stuff with

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
For solitair this one seems good.

1 worker - Get occupation and 1 silver
1 worker - Get 2 wood.
1 worker - Go hunting.
2 worker - Get flax fish and silver
1 worker - Upgrade game meat and fish

- Place skin and bones for 2 income.
- Get income
- Place 2x hide and 4x silver to unlock mead and ore bonus.

For multiplayer you can also go that direction, but you will probably give up greenland, shetland, bear island and iceland. But you can try and go hard for baffin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.