8 Posts

Alchemists: The King's Golem» Forums » Rules

Subject: Royal Encyclopedia indipendent from Golem Project? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Schleicher
Germany
flag msg tools
Hi. Just bought the new expansion in Essen. I wounder why the rulebook states, that the Golem Project (module 4) can only be used in combination with the Royal Encyclopedia (module 3).

I don't undertstand why. Altgough I haven't played yet, I can't find a reason the two modules should not work "stand alone".

Any experiences on that?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, you can use the Royal Encyclopedia without the Golem, but if you use the Golem, you must use the RE.

I don't know why. Somebody asked during the sneak preview and there was no answer then either.

It does give a way to use approval tokens other than the new spot on the Golem board, which may be uninteresting late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fichter123 wrote:
Hi. Just bought the new expansion in Essen. I wounder why the rulebook states, that the Golem Project (module 4) can only be used in combination with the Royal Encyclopedia (module 3).

I don't undertstand why. Altgough I haven't played yet, I can't find a reason the two modules should not work "stand alone".

Any experiences on that?

Thanks

The only obvious interaction is with spending Approval to publish in the Royal Encyclopedia.

It may turn out that without that additional sink, it's not worth investing actions in the Golem, but that's just speculation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Schleicher
Germany
flag msg tools
Yes, for me it seems also that the only link is that you can use these approval tokens to publish in the RE. So, in fact, if you dont use the RE the Golem still works, it may only be that the approval tokens may be less usefull.

Thanks for these quick replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dupree
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fichter123 wrote:
Yes, for me it seems also that the only link is that you can use these approval tokens to publish in the RE. So, in fact, if you dont use the RE the Golem still works, it may only be that the approval tokens may be less usefull.

The tokens seem to be roughly equivalent to a gold. So you could just add a rule that you can always spend an approval in place of a gold and you should be good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
There's a shape called "The Golden Rectangle". Have you heard of it?
United States
Little Canada
Minnesota
flag msg tools
It refers to a rectangle that's approximately contstructed in the ratio of 9 to 16. The golden rectangle has several characteristics. Let's say I create a square within this shape. Then, this smaller rectangle that I just created will also be a
badge
golden rectangle. I make another square within that and the leftover is another golden rectangle. And I make a few more, and when I connect all the central points of these shapes it creates a spiral that continues forever. This is the "Golden Spin".
mbmbmbmbmb
It would also be more difficult to satisfy both conferences without the additional place to publish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
golden_cow2 wrote:
It would also be more difficult to satisfy both conferences without the additional place to publish.

It's not an additional place to publish, is it? It's just a change to the cost to publish if you're hitting the encyclopedia board, I thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What the above poster meant, is that if you were to use Golem without Royal Encyclopedia, you would have fewer places to publish and then have difficulty meeting the conference requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.