39.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it seems the rules' intention is for it to be impossible to remove resources from the market by buying more than you can store.

imagine player A buying 3 coal, with only storage for 1. 2 'single' coals enter the market. now imagine player B buying another 3 coal, with also only storage for 1. 2 resources disappeared. I have a feeling author's intention was for player B to have to purchase a 'single' coal instead of the 3-coal card, but I can't find where it actually says so in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your question, but the premise doesn't make any sense. Why would anyone with a purpose of winning the game want to buy coal for anything else than it's lowest price? The game design also gives you a hint here, with only two single resource cards of coal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
your group must be very friendly to each other... in my groups if someone can pay a little more to screw over the following player they will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:
it seems the rules' intention is for it to be impossible to remove resources from the market by buying more than you can store.
Agreed.
bazik123 wrote:
I have a feeling author's intention was for player B to have to purchase a 'single' coal instead of the 3-coal card, but I can't find where it actually says so in the rules.
I can think of 3 possibilities:
a) The 2 excess coal is removed from the game
b) Or you're supposed to use substitutes to represent the 2 coal
c) Or you're required to purchase single resources if you don't have room for larger quantities

It's worth noting that (b) does not imply (c), even assuming rational play. Extending the original example, if player C also wants coal, then player B buying the 3-coal for $2 (and adding 2 substitute single-coal cards) may increase prices for player C: if they want 3 coal, they must now buy 3 single-coal for $1 each instead of the 3-coal for $2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
I can think of 3 possibilities:
c) Or you're required to purchase single resources if you don't have room for larger quantities
After thinking some more, option (c) is an incomplete solution. For example, all of the "single"-resource cards might be owned by player X when player Y purchases more resources than they can store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:

imagine player A buying 3 coal, with only storage for 1. 2 'single' coals enter the market. now imagine player B buying another 3 coal, with also only storage for 1. 2 resources disappeared. I have a feeling author's intention was for player B to have to purchase a 'single' coal instead of the 3-coal card, but I can't find where it actually says so in the rules.

OP has a better question than at first glance, of course! We had a similar situation the other night, where one player (me) spent the multiple resource cards before the singel ones in phase 3, causing a lack of singel resource cards for the other players with excess resources.
The rules says "There is no limit for the number of 'single'-resource cards in this first column". We interpreted "limitation" as not only in the meaning of a column length of 4/5/6 in a 2-3/4/5-6p game, but also in the sense of number of these cards included with the game. We used substitutes, as Nikolas suggests in (b).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NikolasCo wrote:
I wrote to 2F-Spiele. Henning replied that the answer is (b) use substitutes. He also noted that the included cards should be adequate for "99.9%" of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.