Dale of Merchants 2» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question with some owls card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello, I have to say I love this game so much! It will be great if some fine folks can clarify my confusion during my first play with Owl.

1. Quality Inspection - does the effect trigger when the card goes to my hand from anywhere even if it is from stall, market, market discard pile, other player's hand or any discard pile?

2. Does each Balancing card triggered once per turn or I can trigger the same card more than once if any player shuffle his library more than once during his turn?

3. When a player plays Charity, does Ancient Knowledge trigger before that player take away my card or after the effect of Charity fully resolved and is put into a discard pile?

4. When does Ancient Knowledge trigger for Sloth card? Does it trigger as soon as a player plays a sloth card, or wait until his next turn when the sloth card effect happens and goes into the discard pile? Same question goes for those beaver cards.

Thank you! And sorry for asking if some of these have been answered before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppo Kuukasjärvi
Finland
Pori
flag msg tools
mb
ronnyay wrote:
Hello, I have to say I love this game so much! It will be great if some fine folks can clarify my confusion during my first play with Owl.

No wonder! Owls are quite confusing.

Quote:
1. Quality Inspection - does the effect trigger when the card goes to my hand from anywhere even if it is from stall, market, market discard pile, other player's hand or any discard pile?

Yes. I mean, it doesn't matter where the Quality Inspection comes from. The card effect is triggered instantly, even when resolving another card. You can choose to NOT use/activate an owl card when it is triggered.

Quote:
2. Does each Balancing card triggered once per turn or I can trigger the same card more than once if any player shuffle his library more than once during his turn?

Balancing is triggered each time when another player shuffles his deck. From the owl rules: "You may activate an owl card once each time its trigger happens – even multiple times in a turn".

Quote:
3. When a player plays Charity, does Ancient Knowledge trigger before that player take away my card or after the effect of Charity fully resolved and is put into a discard pile?

Ancient Knowledge triggers after a technique card by another player has been resolved. Suppose you have Ancient Knowledge in your hand. Player "A" plays Charity and takes Ancient Knowledge from your hand. Charity has not been resolved yet. Player "A" decides then to give Ancient Knowledge to player "B". After Charity has been resolved, player "B" may activate Ancient Knowledge in her hand. (The card works as follows. If she chooses to activate the card, she MUST search her deck. She can choose to discard 0 or 1 card from there. Then she MUST shuffle her deck.)

Quote:
4. When does Ancient Knowledge trigger for Sloth card? Does it trigger as soon as a player plays a sloth card, or wait until his next turn when the sloth card effect happens and goes into the discard pile? Same question goes for those beaver cards.

Usually technique cards have been resolved when they are placed into discard piles. There are exceptions, for example swap cards. The sloth cards stay on the schedule until their main effect has been resolved. The same goes with the beaver cards and some crocodile cards.

Quote:
Thank you! And sorry for asking if some of these have been answered before.

As far as I know, you were the first to ask questions about owls. Are people really playing them right? kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sami Laakso
Finland
Pori
Satakunta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
All Seppo's answers are spot on. We tried to write all card texts in the most clear way we could. Sometimes this makes them a bit longer than otherwise necessary, but we still chose to do so. Feel free to ask any questions and we or someone else will surely reply as soon as we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AY Ronny
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer!
I really like the combo opportunities DoM2 brings to the game and already feel like backing DoM3 already!

Another improvement I feel in DoM2 is that the 1 value animal cards is much stronger than the base set, making using it to build a first stack more disadvantageous for the player who remove it from the deck first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seppo Kuukasjärvi
Finland
Pori
flag msg tools
mb
I like all of the 1 valued cards. Many of them are more powerful than 2 valued cards, so I don't want to place them into my stall. Choices, choices! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.