GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 126.86

7,529 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
47.4% of Goal | left

Support:

J.D. Hall
msg tools
Just read it....

http://us.cnn.com/2016/10/19/opinions/next-greatest-annivers...

I don't disagree with one thing in the opinion piece.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what the point is. (But we don't pay soldiers to be writers so it's cool.)

America is lame except for people who fight because, despite the war being executed pretty badly, the people that lived really pulled together and are going to save the country from shitty politicians?

Okay Julius.

*shrugs*

I wouldn't complain really.

Civil service should probably be mandatory anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
I'm not sure what the point is. (But we don't pay soldiers to be writers so it's cool.)

America is lame except for people who fight because, despite the war being executed pretty badly, the people that lived really pulled together and are going to save the country from shitty politicians?

Okay Julius.

*shrugs*

I wouldn't complain really.

Civil service should probably be mandatory anyway.

Service guarantees citizenship.

That said, I think Heinline might have had a point with only enfranchising those who have successfully served.

I think she was talking about how we've essentially got an entire generation that's been raised while we've been at war. It's a rather disconcerting thought that we've been mucking about over there for 15 years now.

That said, its rather entertaining that the former generations typically say that the current generation is also the most mollycoddled. Granted the acceptable social climate has shifted drastically since Vietnam. A lot of things have become mired in a policy rather than the end result. The flip side being that war has also changed drastically, we're in a age of cyber warfare, drone strikes, etc. More and more emphasis has been placed on mental resiliency but if I had to put it into words, I feel like instead of 4d6 choose 3, most people seem to be running with 3d4 keep what you roll. I will say that the participation awards, and general media instilled narcissism conflicts massively with disposable cog mentality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.