Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
First off: What a wonderful resource BGG is. I've recently become interested in solo gaming and the ability to explore, read reviews, get links to videos, and eventually even pick up a game from the marketplace is invaluable. My thanks to everyone who posts videos, rules clarifications, enthusiastic reviews, and the like.

With that said... what a beast, this game!

It will probably get on my nerves eventually, but I liked the long set up time; ritualistic, like something epic was going to happen. A montage in a movie of the hero sharpening his sword and polishing his armour before entering the field of battle.

As for the session itself, I was following the walkthrough and so probably encountered only half of what the game has on offer. One thing that was hard for an old role-player to get used to is the way wounds are assigned, since a little voice in the back of my head kept saying "surely armour should stop ALL the damage", so I had to stay aware of that.

I did really like the highs and lows between having a hand with which I could do nothing I wanted and having a hand in which I spent all my cards and accomplished what felt like everything and more. I'm sure it runs smoother eventually, but I had quite a few "A-HA!" moments where I'd realise that I can turn a card sideways to accomplish something after all or pondering my turn for ages only to eventually realise that mana die sitting in the source allowed me to do something different than what I planned, but which ultimately turned out more beneficial.

I'm really looking forward to exploring this game further and getting into some deeper waters. I'm keen to play with the other characters and see how that changes the game, and there are always the expansions.

As a solo experience all I can say is that it's quite different from "Friday".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
If you like MK I would suggest to get The Lost Legion ( now that is still affordable ) It is really a great addiction to the core box game and improve some aspect of this beautiful game.

Enjoy !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
If you like MK I would suggest to get The Lost Legion ( now that is still affordable ) It is really a great addiction to the core box game and improve some aspect of this beautiful game.

Enjoy !

I agree. The Lost Legion is by far the best expansion and does improve the base game. The other two expansions are nice, but are more like add-ons than improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drunk Celt
United States
California
flag msg tools
I am new to the game as well and I am in love with this!

It took me about 4 plays of the walkthrough and reviewing the rulebooks but I am now confident about taking on a Conquest scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you love me the game treat yourself to the Daedalus insert; it is gorgeous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
...It is really a great addiction to the core box game...

A Freudian slip if there ever was one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
If you love me the game treat yourself to the Daedalus insert; it is gorgeous

I looked into that, because it is absolutely lovely, but with shipping to Australia it's more than I paid for the game!

I suspect it'll be play some more, Lost Legion, insert. I mean, it's not like I'm NOT going to get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Allison Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:

Enjoy !

This. Volkare isn't something you should try for a while, but just getting the extra unique starting card and the cooperative skill is worth it. Extra advanced actions, spells, artifacts, and tiles are just icing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario P
Austria
flag msg tools
borderline wrote:
Loudsmoker wrote:

Enjoy !

This. Volkare isn't something you should try for a while, but just getting the extra unique starting card and the cooperative skill is worth it. Extra advanced actions, spells, artifacts, and tiles are just icing.

And you have to try Shades of Tezla too. The new enemy tokens are a awesome and the faction leaders are just crazy hard to kill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JAn
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Played a second intro game today. I've got basic gameplay under control, next time I'm going to attempt a Solo Conquest and see just how badly I can get my arse kicked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.