$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 54.92

4,021 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
25.3% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Looking for your suggestion as to which has more interactivity between players and is most fun? They both are higher weighted & high ranked games. Also, I don't mind learning a game but if we don't play it all the time, how easy are these rules to forget? Is one preferred because the rules explanation is easier to remember in the first five to ten sessions?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are fairly interactive. Trickerion is more complex and will take much longer. Trickerion is more thematic and quite enjoyable but would be easier to forget. Mombasa is more solitaire but still involves fights with the four "stocks" in the area control part of the game which drives the stock price but the rules are much easier and straightforward.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
Hustle Like Russell - 12th Man for Life!
badge
My height doesn't define my skill set. To be a great gamer, you have to have great leadership, great attention to detail and a relentless competitive nature - and I try to bring that on a daily basis.
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
Both are fairly interactive. Trickerion is more complex and will take much longer. Trickerion is more thematic and quite enjoyable but would be easier to forget. Mombasa is more solitaire but still involves fights with the four "stocks" in the area control part of the game which drives the stock price but the rules are much easier and straightforward.

+1 to everything above.

I've only played Trickerion twice and Mombasa once and I enjoyed both games, but they are very different in how they play and the mechanics used. I looked at your collection and the games you have rated, but it wasn't very helpful. What types of games does your group enjoy and typically play?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave bcs
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am only familiar with Mombasa, and I do not think it is multiplayer solitaire so much.

My definition of multiplayer solitaire is a game where you can play reasonably well ignoring the actions of the other players. In Mombasa, attending to the stock profile of your opponents is only the least of it. In order to play well, you must also anticipate who will want the various bonus actions and take the ones you need first, know who is going to do exploring actions and in what sequence, know which cards others will likely buy, and know who will be likely to claim the majority bonuses before you.

To me, an example of multiplayer solitaire would be more like Grand Austria Hotel, where you have much less control over the sequence of your actions (there will only be two per turn) such that the actions of others are more fait accompli than things you can plan for, whereas in Mombasa you have more control over the timing of your actions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both, enjoyed both. That said, enjoyed Mombasa much more. Deckbuilding, worker placement, area control and BOOKKEEPING! Can't beat that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Hi Colin.
I Love Powergrid because of the auctioning (and talking). I like Brewcrafters, Pret a Porter, Puerto Rico, Hansa Teutonica and Terra Mystica, but none have as much interaction with other players as Powergrid. You end up doing so much your own thing, and I am trying to broaden my collection to those that have much more interaction. I just got Tzolkin, and I think it lacks interaction. I wish there was more emphasis on interaction in the ratings. I feel like I have to start watching all the videos on the games I like just to gauge the interaction level.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered Trickerion so no comment although I know it is going to be a beast to teach. Mombasa is one of the best new to me games so far this year. It might be Top 5 and that's against the toughest competition I have had for new to me games. It has its own learning curve in terms of being taught, but it flows really well after a round or two.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelleywolatz wrote:
Hi Colin.
I Love Powergrid because of the auctioning (and talking). I like Brewcrafters, Pret a Porter, Puerto Rico, Hansa Teutonica and Terra Mystica, but none have as much interaction with other players as Powergrid. You end up doing so much your own thing, and I am trying to broaden my collection to those that have much more interaction. I just got Tzolkin, and I think it lacks interaction. I wish there was more emphasis on interaction in the ratings. I feel like I have to start watching all the videos on the games I like just to gauge the interaction level.


If you don't interact with people in Mombasa, you are going to get your butt handed to you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Of you think Power Grid has more player interaction than Hansa Teutonica then you're not playing the latter aggressively enough.

I had high hopes for Mombasa but found it lacking in player interaction despite its shares mechanism and the mechanisms in general being too unthematic. I'll play it but I won't buy it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
Hustle Like Russell - 12th Man for Life!
badge
My height doesn't define my skill set. To be a great gamer, you have to have great leadership, great attention to detail and a relentless competitive nature - and I try to bring that on a daily basis.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brass
matthean wrote:
kelleywolatz wrote:
Hi Colin.
I Love Powergrid because of the auctioning (and talking). I like Brewcrafters, Pret a Porter, Puerto Rico, Hansa Teutonica and Terra Mystica, but none have as much interaction with other players as Powergrid. You end up doing so much your own thing, and I am trying to broaden my collection to those that have much more interaction. I just got Tzolkin, and I think it lacks interaction. I wish there was more emphasis on interaction in the ratings. I feel like I have to start watching all the videos on the games I like just to gauge the interaction level.
If you don't interact with people in Mombasa, you are going to get your butt handed to you.


Most of the interaction in Mombasa comes from expanding companies that you have vested interest in due to the stock tracks. With expanding also comes the ability to remove buildings of companies that don't benefit you as much. Like many other worker placements you will have competition in your action selections, but I don't know if I would label that interaction.

Tigrillo wrote:
Of you think Power Grid has more player interaction than Hansa Teutonica then you're not playing the latter aggressively enough.

I had high hopes for Mombasa but found it lacking in player interaction despite its shares mechanism and the mechanisms in general being too unthematic. I'll play it but I won't buy it.


I would have to agree with Morten, very few games have as much interaction as Hansa. Try an play it more aggressively and it should be apparent how spiteful and enjoyable this game is.

When looking at Trickerion, most of the interaction would happen in the performance and assigning tricks to the stages. Like I mentioned above with worker placement, it's going to be competitive and you'll have to prioritize which actions are best for you at that time. With that said, neither one of these games even come close to multi-player solitaire; which I am not a big fan of either.

kelleywolatz wrote:
Looking for your suggestion as to which has more interactivity between players...


Kelley, what is your definition of interactive games? You mentioned you love Power Grid because of the interaction within, but failed to see the interaction in Hansa. Can you go into details?

The games below are ones that I have enjoyed which have high interactions between players are:
Food Chain Magnate
Keyflower
Kemet
Tigris & Euphrates
Brass





 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris broadbent
United States
Covington (Kent (Seattle))
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
12thManStanding wrote:
Like many other worker placements you will have competition in your action selections, but I don't know if I would label that interaction.


I think this is an important consideration. There are many axes to interaction, and not everyone considers all of them to "count" as interaction.

Rahdo has a list of ways games can create interaction without being mean (video here). I think part of his motivation for doing this is that there are a number of people who consider what he calls "negative" interaction to be the only true interaction.
There's also this video on 10 different types/flavors of interactions (video here).

I haven't played Mombasa, yet. As to Trickerion, the interaction is the action-blocking sort from worker placement, and it shows up both on the board and on the stage. There is a bit of denial interaction through selecting which tricks you learn and what you bring to market. There's enough going on that you want to pay attention to others, but you don't typically change or evolve your base strategy to respond to what others are doing.

So, your comment about having to watch videos to see if there is interaction is dead on. Someone else may consider the interaction to be sufficient and of a sort they like, but you may have a different opinion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley Wolatz
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
For me the interaction I am looking for probably is best described as talking - to each other - in terms of auction, and I like the amount of talking in settlers thru trading and in Puerto Rico when you declare your action . For me there seems to be less talking in Hansa and we do play tough against each other and we like that . I do like brewcrafters too ! I like the fun Which extensive verbal communication provides so if a game is competitive and offers that I would probably love it ! We like strategy at a higher level than settlers, but we love the fun in trading .
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Genoa is an older game, but I find that it requires a lot of verbal negotiating to get others to move to the area you'd like. It might be group dependent on whether you game with people that like to negotiate. I also like Goa for this reason, but it doesn't have the bribery aspect that Genoa has.

From the 2 games you're looking at, I prefer Mombasa but I enjoy both games immensely. I'm a huge Power Grid fan as well (love economic games), but I think Mombasa is a more "interesting" game because there's so much going on. (for what it's worth)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.