Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chance Rushing
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The daily specials introduce alot of chaos, which i guess works for family style gamers, but it would kill allot of the strategy that makes Piece o' Cake shine.

Anchovies - almost everyone hates the ideal of negative points in games, its a crappy way to loose after put some thought and effort into collecting.

the blended half point pizzas are an interesting addition to the set collection mechanic.

just from reading the description, I would think the daily specials powers and the negative points from the anchovies could be easily ignored with out breaking the basic premise of the game that made Piece O Cake such a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: I don't like all the new mechanics......
I'm glad you like Piece o' Cake.

First, all the components are in NYS, so it is not a problem to play the original rules without the added features.

The new additions, however, do add variety to each game and not really chaos, as it's all open information. Just like an auction game, experienced players will know the value of the Specials and other slices for each player, and that makes the dividing even more challenging and exciting.

I think that it would be a good idea to play the new version before passing judgement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chance Rushing
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying Jeff, I do plan on giving the new mechanics a fair shake with a couple game groups that I play at, and pass a final educated judgement on them then.

My real issue is if your still able to explain the game completely in less time than it takes to stack up the pieces to play, like i do with piece of cake. The low rule complexity with the depth of strategy that becomes apparent through repeated play is the winning combination for Piece O Cake being a top 10 game for me, and I look for to that being continued with pizza

My guess is long term the specials will grow on me and will serve their purpose with certain play groups.

I'm excited to see this new release and I hope it makes the proper splash it deserves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Alspach
United States
Louisville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Preorder One Night Ultimate Werewolf now from www.beziergames.com
badge
One Night Ultimate Werewolf
mbmbmb
As we developed NY Slice, we wanted to be sure that the game retained its amazing accessibility. The way the Specials are designed, one is flipped up each time the slicer (active player) puts out a pizza to be sliced, so players never need to learn about more than the current special.

When I teach the game, I teach it while playing the first round, so there's an incredibly small amount of time spent learning, and what you do learn is directly applicable to that first pizza. You can ignore the anchovies, combo slices and Supreme slice if they don't show up on that first pizza, and only talk about them when they do appear.

After a ton of playtests, I don't think there's been anyone who prefers Piece O Cake over NY Slice (and like you, a lot of people are quite fond of Piece o Cake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.