$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Europe » England

Subject: Looking to start a new meet up in Amersham, uk - anyone interested? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all,

I am looking to start a meet up in Amersham, uk.

Anyone interested?

I thought perhaps twice a month to begin with at a local pub? At least until numbers justify renting out anything like a village hall. With the aim of being a weekly club in the long run (or sooner if it works).

Monday or a wednesday are the only evenings I am free on a regular basis.

My "background": 44 married with three kids (not that I feel that matters) but what does matter is that I enjoy a range of mediumish weight games such as concordia, la granja, key flower, el grande, kraftwagen, evolution, voyages of marco polo, etc.

Reply here or message me if you are interested.

Regards,

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Hi Steve

I'd be up for coming along. I live in Chesham and work in Amersham. I'm at the early/exploratory/excitable phase of my boardgaming addiction, so happy to play anything!

If you're keen to drum up more numbers I reckon I could find one or two other local people who would be interested in coming along too.

I can't do Wednesdays regularly but Mondays work

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Excellent.
Anyone else interested would be good.

Next step is a venue. Happy for this to be Amersham or Chesham.

Any suitable pubs in Chesham that are quietish on a Monday and have table space that you are aware of?

Perhaps we could aim for first to be two weeks today (Monday 14th November) and that gives us time to find a venue. I will have a scout around as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
I can't make 14th unfortunately, my wife is away with work so I need to stay in with the kids. I could do Monday 21st if that's any good?

I'm equally happy with either Amersham or Chesham, so happy with whatever you decide. The Crown in Ley Hill on the outskirts of Chesham would be quiet enough I think and has plenty of table space. In Chesham itself the Queens Head has a nice atmosphere but only one or two tables that would be big enough probably.

I guess you'll know places in Amersham, but I often play games in the Metro Lounge at lunchtime with work colleagues, they have plenty of space. Or one of the pubs in Amersham old town might work? though I forget which would have the table space.

I'll see if I can get us any more interested players and let you know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
21st is good for me. I'll have a scout around and if I don't see anything suitable lets try the crown.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Smith
United Kingdom
oxford
oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am in Thame,
Mondays is Oxford and Tuesday is both High Wycombe and Hemel Hempstead, so wednesdays would be best for me if i am to make it.

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Hi Colin and Steve

If you end up with Wednesdays I won't be able to make it most weeks as my wife is out Weds evenings but I'll try to come along occasionally

If we're still on for 21st I have one other guy definitely interested in coming plus two other maybes

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
It looks like being Mondays. I am still on for 21st.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
What time were you able to make it. I should be good to get there from 7.00.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Happy to play or bring any game. I will bring a few but if you have a suggestion from my list then do ask. I store some at work tosave space at home so I would need to bring it back this week to take next Monday. Any idea what table space will be like. I was hoping to get out there and take a look but have been very busy with work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
I just rang the Crown to see what they think. The guy said its pretty quiet on Monday evenings so we should be able to get a big table, but he has put my name down for 21st to reserve a table so we will at least have a table, and hopefully the biggest one! I seem to remember they have quite a few decent sized tables in the bar area

Thanks I'll have a browse of your games list! Of the games you mentioned in this thread I've only played el grande - played a couple of times online and once live (I now have a copy) and really liked it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
By the way the guy I know who said he'll come along on 21st has just signed up to BGG. His username is Tasselhoff Burrfoot.

7pm is good for me too

Let me know if you'd like me to bring any particular games along too, although I don't have that many (yet!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Im easy. medici perhaps? Happy to play el grande if you fancy it. Let me know once you browse my lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Had a look through your list. I'd be happy to play anything really, perhaps something I haven't played before that you recommend on your list would be cool. I've played el Grande, castles of burgundy, dominion, magic, chess and hearts out of your games you rate 8 or higher, so anything else would be a new experience

Happy to bring Medici too

I'll see if I can confirm tomorrow if the "maybes" I mentioned are coming, then at least we'll have a better idea of number of players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Hi Steve

Just to let you know, I have two others confirmed for Monday.

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Great. I have two maybes but not confident as they would normally have confirmed by now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
Just myself for tomorrow.
I will bring half a dozen games if different styles and length and then you can see what you fancy.

I will also up a guild so we can set up a different message for each time we meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Sounds great, looking forward to it. I should be there at 7 with the other two guys (I'm giving them a lift).

If you get there first I reserved a table under the name Will, feel free to impersonate me and ask for the table!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Rowlands
United Kingdom
Amersham
Bucks
flag msg tools
mb
First meet was at the Crown in Ley Hill.

Four of us met for some food, beer and games.

Started with Sushi go while people ate (Mark won)

Then played Peloppones (first game for everyone except me)

Finished with Hoity Toity (Won by Will) - an old Klaus Teuber (Catan) game that I had not heard of.

A good evening and hopefully the first of many.

Will - you happy to meet again in two weeks (5th December). I am happy to meet in the Crown again. Else I can see how the Swan looks on a Monday in Amersham.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Rice
United Kingdom
Chesham
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
Yes a great first session!

5th is good for me. I'm pretty indifferent on location - shall we try Amersham? Might be a better location for people to get to generally

Thanks for organising
Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.