7,094 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44.7% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy: Terraforming Colony/Diversified Economy Promo Tile» Forums » General

Subject: Designer Notes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
The first Roll for the Galaxy promo tile was a start world. For the second one, Wei-Hwa and I wanted a game tile.

While Roll has a 6-dev that encourages dice diversity, its developments don't encourage having differently colored worlds (system diversity). This seemed like an interesting area to explore.

Our first try was to adapt Diversified Economy from Race. In Race, it is cost 4, worth 2 VPs, and has two powers: a similar produce power and a consume power for exactly 3 goods of different kinds. The latter isn't needed in Roll (where you consume goods with shippers, not powers). So, we tried just the first power at cost 4, reasoning that its owner would now get 2 more VPs instead of a consume power.

This failed. In Roll, produce/consume often happens towards game end and, at cost 4, the investment wasn't worth the return given how little time remained to spend these credits.

So, we reduced Diversified Economy's cost to 2, which worked. With even a little bit of goods production, this tile can quickly pay for itself and, when coupled with several different colored worlds, it can fuel a produce/consume strategy.

We considered putting a gray world on its other side, but instead went with an expensive Novelty world. We hadn't done a cost 4 Novelty world before. We named it Terraforming Colony to fit with the Terraforming Unlimited development from the Ambition expansion (which provides a VP bonus for expensive worlds).

For art, we reused Terraforming Colony's art from its Race card, but requested new artwork for the Diversified Economy side. Martin Hoffmann produced a business skyline with "hologram" ads suggesting the different kinds of goods.

We're quite happy with the results. This tile encourages system diversity and helps produce/consume or density strategies without complicated rules. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hisham Masri
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Tom,

Love the new tiles, and love the theme behind them. I'd like to know how we can acquire these new promo tiles? I didn't know about the first set of promo tiles, and would love to know where I can pick these both up. Roll and Race are two of my favorite games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only two threads in the forum for this promo/expansion, and the other one (than this) is: When/where will this be released?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Diversified Economy benefit from the Tile that lets you put 2 Goods on each world? For instance, if you produced 2 goods on a Blue world, and 1 good on a Green world, would that be +$3?

But normally it's a maximum of +$4 correct? Just want to make sure I'm interpreting the power correctly.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
soosy wrote:
Would Diversified Economy benefit from [Galactic Reserves, which] lets you put 2 Goods on each world? For instance, if you produced 2 goods on a Blue world, and 1 good on a Green world, would that be +$3?

Yes.

Quote:
But normally it's a maximum of +$4 correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh, ok. So select any number of worlds, as long as they're all different colours, and count the number of goods produced this phase (edit from below) on those worlds. So if you had multiple goods on one blue world but not another, you'd just pick the one with multiple goods produced this phase as one of your "differently coloured worlds".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
greylag wrote:
So select any number of worlds, as long as they're all different colours, and count the number of goods on those worlds.

Incorrect.

Select any number of worlds of different colors and count the number of goods that you *produced* this phase on them. Windfall goods or goods held over from previous rounds are not goods produced during this phase and don't count towards this.

(Yes, I can see how not repeating "this phase" in this power's wording could lead someone to read this differently, but that is not the intent. Repeating it felt unnecessarily stilted when we wrote this power.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann wrote:
greylag wrote:
So select any number of worlds, as long as they're all different colours, and count the number of goods on those worlds.

Incorrect.

Select any number of worlds of different colors and count the number of goods that you *produced* this phase on them. Windfall goods or goods held over from previous rounds are not goods produced during this phase and don't count towards this.

(Yes, I can see how not repeating "this phase" in this power's wording could lead someone to read this differently, but that is not the intent. Repeating it felt unnecessarily stilted when we wrote this power.)

Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Thanks for posting this! It's always neat to see the reasoning behind individual game bits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.