Subject: Speculation: Talisman 5th Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frankysan
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as the rights to Talisman will soon revert back to Games Workshop, what do you all think of the chances GW will release a fifth edition?

If they do, my guess is it will be set in the Sigmarverse, possibly using the same heroes as Silver Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
Ireland
Galway
Galway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skulls. Lots of skulls. With skull-shaped skulls around them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cafard83 wrote:
Skulls. Lots of skulls. With skull-shaped skulls around them.

The're actually working on it already. Here's a playtesting prototype

Spoiler (click to reveal)

You know, just in case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Frankysan wrote:
So as the rights to Talisman will soon revert back to Games Workshop, what do you all think of the chances GW will release a fifth edition?

If they do, my guess is it will be set in the Sigmarverse, possibly using the same heroes as Silver Tower.

Hard for me to imagine a product I would be less interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for me, it doesn't matter. I have full sets of the 1983 (minus Timescape) and the 2007 editions of Talisman - I have now reached the stop sign on the Talisman road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
I have full sets of the 1983 (minus Timescape) and ...

Missing only Timespace is so much better than having a full set.
I, too, chose this configuration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
FFG = awesome.
GW = crap.

This is of course by no means an official evaluation, but an observation of my humble self. Therefore, I'm totally happy with my 4th Revised edition and all its expansions.

meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miser wrote:
RayGuns wrote:
I have full sets of the 1983 (minus Timescape) and ...

Missing only Timespace is so much better than having a full set.
I, too, chose this configuration.

I picked it up when it first came out, but quickly got rid of it after trying it only once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect they'll bring out some sort of new version at some point (after all, they've brought out 4 editions over the years) but I don't think it'll be any time soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Dyer
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
12% Compounded yearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know there is a very vocal group who dislikes Talisman in all forms. The only way to get that group to buy a 5th Talisman is if it played more like Mage Knight.

It seems that the majority of Talisman fans mainly like the 1st/2nd and 4th edition of the game -- the ones that have extremely similar game play. If a new edition modified the base game play, I doubt many fans would be interested.

I would think that any fans of the 2nd have already upgraded to the 4th. The 4th had a very long run with many reprints, that the majority of fans are going to have a significant investment in the 4th. If they made a 5th edition the same as the 4th, there isn't much reason for someone with a large collection to upgrade until their collection decays.

That really only leaves a market for new players, which I can't imagine is that large.

There does seem to be a never ending market for expansions to the 4th -- they would sell.

However, if they remade a the 2nd edition and expansions in the classic style (pretty it up but with the same style and artwork) that might be fairly sucessful with those 35+ now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been discussion and some supposed evidence that GW was looking for new companies for some of the games they pulled from FFG before they actually pulled it. How true that is and whether or not Talisman is one of those games, I don't know. But I would lean toward yes, it would be another company. Plus a former designer who worked on Talisman with FFG is no longer with FFG, and maybe, just maybe he could work on a 5th edition with some other company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think there is a 100% chance of a new edition.

now, i'm not sure if GW will produce it as I hope it doesn't go into the Age of Sigmar universe (like Relic is for Warhammer 40k). so, they may give the contract to another company that maintains Talisman's more generic, less grim fantasy feel. on the other hand... Warhammer Quest.

of course, that could be years from now.

and yes, I will probably buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmb
As some of you miss the Timescape:

Let me point out that on talismanisland, there's an absolutely awesome version of it for the 4th Revised! On the link below, look for the file "Timescape 2011 (The)" from user "azoic".
http://www.talismanisland.com/?page_id=4888

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The upcoming Blood Bowl is not in the Age of Sigmar universe so why assume Talisman will be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now what if GW opted to continue to make expansions for the 4th edition?

Obviously the odds of this are low considering that would mean they'd be making expansions for an edition of a game that will soon be out of print.

Nonetheless, I can dream!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm heavily vested in 4th ed... having everything but one of the small, talisman island xpacs.

I see no need to abandon all of that and start over with a new edition.

4th ed hits our table often enough and really lacks for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
Now what if GW opted to continue to make expansions for the 4th edition?

Obviously the odds of this are low considering that would mean they'd be making expansions for an edition of a game that will soon be out of print.

Nonetheless, I can dream!

The game may be under their ownership, but I doubt they can mess with the mechanisms of 4th edition FFG made. There were contracts made for both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.