Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Why not add another tab next to expansions where Promos are added. I think it is easier to sort stuff when promos and expansions/mini expansions are seperated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would classify promos as expansions. They might typically be smaller (and cheaper/free) but they still expand the game. I don't see the difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the difference is that a lot of promos and mini expansions are available in fairs and special events and are not found in retail...therefore it is better to have 2 sections the retail expansions on one side and the mini expansions and promos on the other...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would you distinguish between a limited availability promo given away at a fair versus a retail expansion that had a single short print run and was never re-printed? Both are going to be difficult and expensive to acquire as time progresses.

It seems to me there isn't a clear cut way of segregating these items, it would require a non-trivial amount of changes to the site's UI and database and would only confuse users where to look for content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as i said... one tab for official expansions and one for promos and mini expansions... i never saw one retailer selling promos... maybe online it is possible through the BGG store but in a retailer shop i never saw one mini expansion or promo..

anyway the idea was that each board game has the following:

Base Game ( Always found at retail)

Expansions ( alwayas found at retail)

Mini Expansions ( just some add ons rarely found at retails)

Promos ( just some add ons rarely found at retails)

I dont think it is confusing to collect promos and mini expansions in one tab and the "official" expansions in another...

And i guess it is more easier for collectors who doesnt care about promos and mini expansions but rather prefer to have the "official" expansions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
It seems to me there isn't a clear cut way of segregating these items

That isn't a real problem. There are a lot of things where there aren't clear cuts. What's a different release of a game, and what's a different game, for example.

InappropriateAndy wrote:
it would require a non-trivial amount of changes to the site's UI and database

Not really. The changes to the database would be rather slight. Actually, it would be one new field to the [game] entry. Which, I admit, CAN mean a lot, depending on how the rest is set up.

InappropriateAndy wrote:
and would only confuse users where to look for content.

That wouldn't be an issue. They'd be listed on the same place, only one as "expansions" and one as "promos". Wouldn't be confusing.

The REAL problem is that we would need to go through the entire database and classify all expansions as either "promos" or "expansions". THAT would require massive user activity, and would need an extra UI where users could enter the queue to start classifying. That would take a lot of work, indeed. The internal changes, though, would be small.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inappropriate Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
it would require a non-trivial amount of changes to the site's UI and database

Not really. The changes to the database would be rather slight. Actually, it would be one new field to the [game] entry. Which, I admit, CAN mean a lot, depending on how the rest is set up.

I don't know enough about the database design to be definitive but who knows what other tables/stored procedures/tasks/etc would need updating. Plus there would be the UI work. Plus the changes to the site's search functionality. Plus making sure you haven't broken anything existing. Plus everything else that isn't thought of initially. In my experience, as a software developer, there is always multiple times more work than you immediately think of...

Zimeon wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
and would only confuse users where to look for content.

That wouldn't be an issue. They'd be listed on the same place, only one as "expansions" and one as "promos". Wouldn't be confusing.

I realise this part is rather subjective, but I'd find it rather annoying to have to look in two places to see all the additions to a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I don't know enough about the database design to be definitive but who knows what other tables/stored procedures/tasks/etc would need updating. Plus there would be the UI work.

Depends on how everything is linked, but if it's well done from the start, it shouldn't be that hard.

InappropriateAndy wrote:
I realise this part is rather subjective, but I'd find it rather annoying to have to look in two places to see all the additions to a game.

I don't think you got what I meant. I meant:

Now:

Game: ARCHITECHTS OF DOOM

Expansions:
Knights of the Warlord
Bambooza flight
Super extra cool
Enigmatic priest
The Library
Special dice

Proposed look:

Expansions:
Knights of the Warlord
Bambooza flight
Super extra cool

Promos:
Enigmatic priest
The Library
Special dice

………it's not that different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Bou Farhat
Germany
Grafenau Döffingen
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I don't know enough about the database design to be definitive but who knows what other tables/stored procedures/tasks/etc would need updating. Plus there would be the UI work.

Depends on how everything is linked, but if it's well done from the start, it shouldn't be that hard.

InappropriateAndy wrote:

I don't think you got what I meant. I meant:

Now:

Expansions:
Knights of the Warlord
Bambooza flight
Super extra cool
Enigmatic priest
The Library
Special dice

Proposed look:

Expansions:
Knights of the Warlord
Bambooza flight
Super extra cool

Promos:
Enigmatic priest
The Library
Special dice

………it's not that different.

Exactly my point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Little Town of
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Special Dice should be an accessory, not a promo! They don't come with any additional rules!

I don't see why expansions should be generally sorted into "big" and "small" - obviously it would be obnoxious to have yet another tab for "medium" - but I do support the use of umbrella entries for large numbers of similar items, notably promo cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Special Dice should be an accessory, not a promo! They don't come with any additional rules!

Ah, you're right. A promo accessory, then

Kaffedrake wrote:
I don't see why expansions should be generally sorted into "big" and "small" - obviously it would be obnoxious to have yet another tab for "medium" - but I do support the use of umbrella entries for large numbers of similar items, notably promo cards.

I do see the value in separating buyable expansions for single items. You're right in that there's the whole spectrum of "promo" – "mini expansion" – "small expansion", "big expansion", but what I think is the most important to filter out are the single promos. Even mini-expansions (like, 4 new tiles to Carc) is still an expansion. I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.