Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Hey,

I'm very interested in this game, but I find the "overlord required" part of the game a bit annoying. Would it be possible to play the game with two players and alternating the overlord role every turn, or does the overlord player have a hidden hand of cards or orders or something like that?

This seems to be the most liked dungeon crawler game out there, but I find the lack of co-op play a bit disappointing. Should I look into another game or would this still work with two players?

My other options would be to:

1. Buy another game, ideas?

2. Spend time using rpg rules and buy dungeon tiles and miniatures and craft my own games with those, but that would be time consuming and lacks the niceties of high production values that these games tend to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadgit
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Descent is actually a fantastic game for co-op Play.
We have the Road to Legend App that essentially replaces the OL as well as several fan made options to play almost all published campaigns without the need of an OL player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, check out the Road To Legend app.. It came out earlier this year and completely replaces the Overlord making the game fully coop.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/road-to-legend/id1098000926?...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyfli...
http://store.steampowered.com/app/477200/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
Okay!

So just to be clear, the app includes all of the base game campaign and expansion campaigns?

I'm looking into other games as well as long as they have rpg flavor and character advancement (pathfinder card game, lotr card game etc.)

How well would you say Descent achieves that rpg touch some of us like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The app really is the best way to go but if you are one of those people who are opposed to integrating computing devices and boardgames, there are also three small card based expansions that are purely cooperative:

Forgotten Souls
Nature's Ire
Dark Elements

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:
Okay!

So just to be clear, the app includes all of the base game campaign and expansion campaigns?

No, the app has it's own campaigns, it does not use the campaign from the base game or expansions.. It does however, use the monsters, heroes, etc. It also adds extra side quests based on the expansions you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
bpmasher wrote:
[...] So just to be clear, the app includes all of the base game campaign and expansion campaigns?

Keep in mind that Descent has been design to be played as an Overlord-vs-Heroes overarching campaign. If you buy it solely for playing it with the app, it remains a great game, but you are also buying a lot of stuff you'll never use.
As written by Adam in the comment just above, the app comes with a short tutorial campaign (3-4 quests, if I'm not mistaken), a free long campaign (several sessions), and a DLC Delve mode (in which you run through a row of 6 random mini-encounters with a quick character development). You won't use the campaigns designed for the Overlord-vs-Heroes mode.

bpmasher wrote:
I'm looking into other games as well as long as they have rpg flavor and character advancement (pathfinder card game, lotr card game etc.) How well would you say Descent achieves that rpg touch some of us like?

There's a great sense of character advancement: heroes gain new skills and equipment and that increases their survival potential, attack power, efficiency and overall utility. There's quite a lot of narrative (that an unconcerned player may easily disregard and focus on the mechanics), but that is tied to the specific campaign, not much on the heroes themselves (that said, heroes do have a backstory that you can read on the rulebook of the product you find them in).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Descent is more like playing several combat enounters with minis on the table during an rpg, rather than playing an actual rpg.

I find it scratches around the rpg itch (relieving some of it so you can move on, but missing the center of the itch).

The overlord is much different from having a DM at the table during an rpg. The key difference here is that the OL has a clear and defined goal to achieve, where the DM is there to facilitate her story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
Also there is RedJak variant to play coop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarkko Kotiranta
Finland
Lappeenranta
Lappeenranta
flag msg tools
mb
I'll have to look into another game then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.