Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Platt
United Kingdom
Duston
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And was thoroughly underwhelmed by the components and presentation.

The board was a thin, 2 part jigsaw and cheap looking.
The chariot standees were tiny and cheap too.
Dice looked alright but were very light and...cheap.

No idea how it plays but the initial impression was enough to put me off - and this was on my watch list.

May be a great though. I do love Leacock's dice games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No miniatures??? gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilly Berto
United States
flag msg tools
Are any of his games great component wise? I have pretty much all of them. Pandemic is crap, cheap plastic cubes, a thin board that shows "streaking" from the cubes and isn't exactly flat, cheap cards. What about the cure, it probably has the crappiest dice bag known to man. The Forbidden games are just average. Thunderbirds may be the best of the lot, but it was pricey with all of the expansions. I have never minded because Pandemic is my favorite game. The game is so good the components just don't seem to matter much at all. Most of these games are all in a price range that makes them easy to get in to mass distribution, like 30 bucks or less. I respect good components, but I also respect great games that don't cost an arm and a leg. Eagle is selling their KS for 24 bucks which is extremely cheap for an Eagle game, so I have no doubt the components are sparse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Just to note... The Designer usually has very little say in the quality of the components (unless they also run the production side of the publisher). The quality decisions are largely out of their hands. They may request certain things but ultimately, the publisher is on the hook for making those decisions.

For a game that retails for $25, I'm not surprised that the components are on the cheap side. If the game is fun and engaging, I can look past cheap components and pimp it out if I really want better quality. Sill looking forward to this game but I'll wait for a wider US retail release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
For a game that retails for $25, I'm not surprised that the components are on the cheap side.

But I was not expecting them that cheap. A pity, I would have payed 30 euros for this with 'normal' components (nothing fancy), but won't pay 20 for what seems to be bad ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's always a balancing act. Print run sizes makes a huge difference in the per-unit costs for publishers. Eagle/Gryphon might have estimated that a higher price point for the game - which would have enabled better components - might have translated to more lost pledges/sales.

Miniatures and Kickstarter are kind of fraught with peril these days, given the tendency of backers to compare against games/companies offering better figures (CMON, Malifaux, GW) and then vigorously debating whether the Kickstarter price is worth it.

For my money, it's an excess of misspellings or wantonly shoddy rules that will get my goat with Kickstarters, because that's 100% within the publisher's and designer's control. With that said, Kickstarters are always a gamble, which is why they usually offer some kind of incentive - reduced price vs retail, exclusive content, - to get you to back. I focus less on how good the deal is and more on whether I'd be disappointed if the project never saw the light of day because the funding goal wasn't reached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Well, full disclosure, I love to pimp out my games so if a publisher makes a cheap (price-wise) game and components are sub-par (but game is great), I don't mind pimping things out to make it a better experience. Just like IcemanAgent started to do:

And I wholly expect to do the same if I pick up a copy. Also, I saw on the KS comments that the publisher is looking to possibly make the standees into meeples. A lot of that is up in the air and it sounds like if they go that route, they will make the meeples a separate addition so that it doesn't interfere with the shipping schedule. Doesn't solve the small map and flimsy player boards but it is a start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was going to replace the chariots anyway, but the player boards look really too thin, more paper than thin cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
What kickstarter are yall talking about? This game has been released already. Are they also doing a kickstarter?

Also, what size minis would this be? 15mm or 10mm?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Pegasus Spiele released the game at Essen but Eagle-Gryphon games has the US/NA distribution rights. To help fund that (or act as a pre-order system), EG is having a Kickstarter here.

The miniatures in that picture are 6mm from Irregular Miniatures in the UK. See 6mm > Civilians. I just ordered a set because they look great and are very reasonably priced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Secrest
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems the excuse for going minimalistic with the components is, 'it's only a filler' but I take issue with that approach. If nicer components can enrich an experience regardless of it's length (30min) then it may very well be worthwhile. The bar of 800+ backers to support meeples being produced seems set purposely too high? I think chariot miniatures could have sold this to a lot of gamers that would have otherwise not given it more than a passing glance. Maybe I'll look for a retail copy and follow suit with the pimping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
I hate 6mm miniatures as they are far to lacking in detail. Maybe 10mm will work? Only way to tell is to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally ordered because it was cheap on philibertnet (19€90), but will definitely look for replacements. Has anyone tried already with the minis from Ave Caesar?

I was expecting to see someone posting pictures of those, but maybe they are too big...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I don't see a big difference in 6mm to 10mm:

6mm infantry:

10mm infantry:

There is a difference but both are still so small that at arm's length, it's too subtle to really notice.

Jumping up to 15mm is likely a better option (and I think I've seen chariot racing models for 15mm more than 10mm). As you can see in the 6mm chariot picture though, the bases fit the game board spaces perfectly so going to 15mm will take some care to make sure the models are more "long" than "wide".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.