Subject: Has the material improved in the 2nd edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Sperber
Germany
Hunteburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´m interested in buying the reprint of Indonesia, but the unboxing video of the first edition shows very thin material. Has the material improved in the 2nd edition?

Thicker cardboard instead of paper would be really fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you referring to the player aids or the money? The money is just easier replaced with poker chips. The player aids are perfectly sufficient as they are. I don't think "upgrading" to thicker cardboard would be any benefit, personally. It's an unnecessary expense passed on to the customer. I think you should play the game first, and perhaps you'll see that the player aids are fine and not weak at all.

I suppose you could mean the city cards as well. Again, they are fine as-is. No need to waste trees making them thicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Did they make the board bigger? I haven't followed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
The board is the same size, but its readability and clarity are improved.
The city slips are replaced by actual playing cards.
The ships are now cardboard but there are more of them and they are bigger.
The company tokens now display where the companies are located on the board.
The plantation tokes are the same as in the previous edition (with different colors, though).
The delivery tokens are now wood.
For the rest, the game seems unchanged.

There is some ruckus going on in another thread, as Splotter first wanted the plantation tokens to be wood and the delivery tokens to be cardboard, but the tokens they received from the producer were too big to be used as plantations, so they switched them. But let's not repeat that discussion here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
But let's not repeat that discussion here.

Amen to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Sperber
Germany
Hunteburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thank you all for your quick replies.

Flyboy Connor wrote:
The plantation tokes are the same as in the previous edition (with different colors, though).

There is some ruckus going on in another thread, as Splotter first wanted the plantation tokens to be wood and the delivery tokens to be cardboard, but the tokens they received from the producer were too big to be used as plantations, so they switched them. But let's not repeat that discussion here.

I did not follow the discussion and I don't really care ab out which pieces might be wood or cardboard. But 75 Euro for a game is a lot or money and I just wanted to figure out - at least for myself - if the material is worth to pay the price. I do not own a game by Splotter yet and the reprint might be a good opportunity for me to geht one or their games, but I just don't want to spent a lot or money for a great idea without getting appropriate game components, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Lighthammel wrote:
I just don't want to spent a lot or money for a great idea without getting appropriate game components, too.

Splotter games are pretty easy to re-sell and hold (if not increase) in value, so the risk is pretty low if you are unhappy with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighthammel wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

I did not follow the discussion and I don't really care ab out which pieces might be wood or cardboard. But 75 Euro for a game is a lot or money and I just wanted to figure out - at least for myself - if the material is worth to pay the price. I do not own a game by Splotter yet and the reprint might be a good opportunity for me to geht one or their games, but I just don't want to spent a lot or money for a great idea without getting appropriate game components, too.

You buy splotter for the game, full stop. If you want pretty buy yourself a copy of 7 Sins or Scythe. Scythe isn't a bad game, but it's no Splotter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Michel Petit
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Lighthammel wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

You buy splotter for the game, full stop. If you want pretty buy yourself a copy of 7 Sins or Scythe. Scythe isn't a bad game, but it's no Splotter.

What he just said! /\ /\

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Sperber
Germany
Hunteburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Micquebec wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Lighthammel wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

What he just said! /\ /\

Miniatures just make a game look better, they don't make the game better. :-)

I just picked up Indonesia at my local retailer. The components look quite good, the quality is fine. The only thing I don't like is the paper money - but I don't like it in any board game, I prefer cardboard tokens for money.

So, Im not sure if I got a wrong impression from the unboxing video, but in the end there's nothing to complain about component quality for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Shadrach wrote:
Lighthammel wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

Don't tell the guy what he buys his games for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xe191 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Lighthammel wrote:

Flyboy Connor wrote:

Don't tell the guy what he buys his games for.

'You' being the generic identifier of 'a person ourchasing a game.' It's a basic rhetorical construct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

Quite.

A good example is The Great Zimbabwe. If you look in the box, you find some pretty flimsy cardboard for map tiles and a few other pieces, thirty-or-so playing cards, a bunch of small wooden discs in five colors, and a bunch of silver/gold painted wooden cows (some headless if you are unlucky). Just judging by the components, that's a $20-30 dollar game.

But there is also the rulebook...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.