Subject: A forlorn hope? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really have liked to pick up a copy of this, but at over £200 (copies still available for £235-£250 at etailers) I just couldn't justify it. Looking through the inventory it struck me that all I really needed were the maps and counters - system rules I have from earlier games, charts and aids I could print out, likewise TGD specific rules/scenarios, and I don't need a box or the dice.

I'm not complaining or criticising MMP for the original price, as there is a lot in the box, but is a poor-mans edition of games like this viable, given most of us have access to pretty decent printing at home these days? Or is so much of the cost involved with the maps/counters that it wouldn't substantially reduce the cost?

Inventory for TGD -

Four 22 x 34" maps (Maps 1, 2, 3 & 4 - 3 dual-side printed)
Eight 8 x 11" maps (1-sided)
Sixteen dual-side printed countersheets (2,816 5/8" counters)

One 36-page Grand Tactical Series Rules of Play booklet
One 12-page Grand Tactical Series Rules Summary booklet
One 60-page The Greatest Day Exclusive Rules booklet
One 68-page The Greatest Day Scenario booklet
One Turn Record Chart & Weather Table (1-sided)
Two Terrain Effects Charts (2-sided)
Two Terrain Effects Chart Notes & Charts and Tables (2-sided)
Twelve Divisional Display Cards (6 Allied & 6 German, 1-sided)
Three Beach Naval Display Cards (1-sided)
Four 10-sided dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have been sitting on the fence, now is the time, in the upcoming MMP sale, to buy this game. For $146!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sfu_fear wrote:
If you have been sitting on the fence, now is the time, in the upcoming MMP sale, to buy this game. For $146!

Unfortunately not -

$146 + $75 (shipping) + $44 (VAT, 20% of price+shipping) = £217 (exchange rate 1.2) + £10 handling charge = a grand total of £227.

So, not yet the time I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it is cheaper than what it was yesterday! Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is MMP trying to unload this quickly for some reason, since its now even cheaper than when it was on pre-order?angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ybarrondo
United States
Corona
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fly by Night wrote:
So is MMP trying to unload this quickly for some reason, since its now even cheaper than when it was on pre-order?angry

They always have a sale in the fall. This year instead of a Black Friday sale in November, it's earlier, the weekend of Halloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tankboy
United States
Haslet
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Private Dietz wrote:
Fly by Night wrote:

They always have a sale in the fall. This year instead of a Black Friday sale in November, it's earlier, the weekend of Halloween.

This I know, but the sale usually involves older items that have been around for more than a year and just taking up space. TGD is right at a year. Just curious as to why its going on sale so soon and at a much lower price than the original pre-order price. Is it not moving from the initial rush or is MMP done with any further development of TGD beaches?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

Adam has set up a company to produce his own take on the series. It may be dead in the water as a series for MMP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

Adam has set up a company to produce his own take on the series. It may be dead in the water as a series for MMP.

Does that apply to the Crete game as well as the US beaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crete is still going to be produced by MMP, as long as it makes its preorder numbers.

Other GTS titles may come out without Adam's presence, but nothing has been said about the other beaches.

As far as placing games on the sale list, MMP has indicated in the past that the games are ones that have been out about a year, and have sufficient numbers in inventory. Games with too few copies on hand generally don't go into the Black Friday/Spooktacular sale. I can't recall when WED was first offered in the sale, but I didn't preorder it and nervously watched it, hoping it wouldn't sell out before it could be included in the sale. I'm fairly certain that was no more than a year and a half after it came out, so I wouldn't try to make judgements about the state of GTS based on the sale alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_peabody wrote:
Crete is still going to be produced by MMP, as long as it makes its preorder numbers.

Other GTS titles may come out without Adam's presence, but nothing has been said about the other beaches.

As far as placing games on the sale list, MMP has indicated in the past that the games are ones that have been out about a year, and have sufficient numbers in inventory. Games with too few copies on hand generally don't go into the Black Friday/Spooktacular sale. I can't recall when WED was first offered in the sale, but I didn't preorder it and nervously watched it, hoping it wouldn't sell out before it could be included in the sale. I'm fairly certain that was no more than a year and a half after it came out, so I wouldn't try to make judgements about the state of GTS based on the sale alone.

Hmmm . . . a reasonable and fact-based response on the internet that does not fan any flames or feed any dark theories. Mr. so-called Peabody is obviously an MMP sock-puppet and must be reported to the admins. Sell all your GTS games immediately, the system is abandoned and all hope is lost!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey - I didn't even see your lips move. Impressive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lehr
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Who is going to produce that Wiltz/Bastogne game? MMP or SDS?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

No, I don't think so, Operation Mercury is released without Adams involvement.
Other Designers can step in for other theaters/battles.

Still a pity though, that Adam left.
For me GTS belongs to one of the all-time best CoSim Series out there.

Personally I hope a Kursk GTS comes to live, though thats really more unlikely, they seem to have had issues with Eastern Front (I wonder which though)

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus! What a pisser! I hadn't seen any of this news, what an absolute downer. I took the plunge into this not-inexpensive system due to all the good buzz surrounding Devil's Cauldron, and now it looks like its dead in the water!

This bites. I don't want to start all over. This is the kind of thing that makes gamers tear out what little remains of their hair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't jump off the cliff just yet. Brian Youse over on consimworld said they would finish out the Normandy set, plus the other GTS projects they have going on.

Also, it was emphasized to MMP about solidifying the rules set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, MMP has control of GTS. Crete is coming, and I'm looking forward to one covering the actions leading to Bastogne in the Battle of the Bulge.

Nick Richardson provided really good support for all of the GTS games to date, and he's still involved with the series. I'm sure some people will embrace Adam's new take on the games, others will stick with GTS, and some will play both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know that the series will continue to at least cover the US beaches and Crete,....but meanwhile back at my original question....a 'poor-man's' edition a possibility or not?...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Borchers
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that's up to MMP. I would guess that what you're proposing would reduce the cost to you if they could sell as many units as the boxed, "full up" game. The boxes are expensive to produce, the bound rules less so (of course, these are in color, so are more expensive than in other games). I'd be surprised if there's enough demand for such a set, though. Some people already gripe about printing rulebooks (see the Marshal Enterprises versions of La Bataille that are out there - the game come with a CD instead of printed rules). A discussion a couple of months ago on CSW revealed that a lot of people prefer boxed to ziplock games (or find that they don't play the ones in ziplocks in their collections for some reason). Ziplocks definitely don't do as well in game stores. The maps for these games are deliberately made with fewer folds, and so would require some new form of storage bag, would have to be folded more to fit existing packaging, or would have to be shrinkwrapped to cardboard (meaning the consumer destroys part of the packaging and has to find another way to store the maps).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.