$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 102.79

6,470 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
40.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Packs ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Brillant
msg tools
descent lieutenant packs

Which would you recommend for the heirs of blood campaign book and also playing solo with the app. Looking to pick up 3.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The figures for any of the lieutenants in the campaign would end up used, but you can only have one agent and plot deck in a campaign. There's a lot of variety at this point, and other threads here (like mine, here) go into more detail. Pick whichever one you think you'd most like to use as an agent, or whichever has the plot deck you like most.

For the app, having lieutenant packs only adds a chance for a random encounter with an agent as a monster group using the Agent stats (Skarn showing up partway through a quest, for instance). This is independent of the expansions their lieutenant versions appear in, so pick whichever you think you'd like to fight against.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
San Juan de Aznalfarache
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For purely aesthetic reasons, I'd pick Valyndra, the mini is amazing, it looks like on of those old-school dragons by Elmore or Caldwell. Splig and Alric Farrow are also quite cool.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
I haven't played Heirs of Blood yet, but Merrick Farrow shows up a couple of times in both the app and Shadow Rune campaigns. That's the first one I got, just because he seems to be the most common in the base game stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Pede
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:
I haven't played Heirs of Blood yet, but Merrick Farrow shows up a couple of times in both the app and Shadow Rune campaigns. That's the first one I got, just because he seems to be the most common in the base game stuff.


He shows up more in the *new* base game stuff.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forsetius
Denmark
flag msg tools
Both Splig and Merrick is in the app. Besides those, I really like Gargan, but as mentioned Valyndra is very nicely sculpted.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
PhilBrillant wrote:
descent lieutenant packs

Which would you recommend for the heirs of blood campaign book and also playing solo with the app. Looking to pick up 3.


From a campaign Overlord perspective (Links to Descent Wikia LT pack page)
Baron Zachareth's plot deck (Seeds of Betrayal) is quite strong. The opening card alone makes it worthwhile. There are several cards in the deck you will find very enticing too.

Ardus Ix'Erebus Plot Deck (First Legion) buffs all of your monsters that occupy a single space. From Goblin Archers to Zombies and probably 80% of the expansions monster content. This includes every Lieutenant in Heirs of Blood and Ardus Ix'Erebus himself if you summon him.

Having the Merick figure for the app is really the only recommendation I can make for the app alone if you intend to purchase any Lieutenant packs for that purpose.

The Agents appearing are not as frequent as you might like given how much a Lieutenant pack costs, and it's punishment for you taking too long to finish a quest. Outside of my testing I have had only one make an appearance.

I own all 20 lieutenant packs because I am a crazy completionist. Quite a few look interesting to try out but I have only played with three as an overlord and drew Serena's randomly with a play of Redjak's Auto-Overlord variant. Serena's deck is no longer on the table for future Auto-overlord use. The most threatening thing it managed was spawning her Agent and was otherwise almost completely useless.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Solitario
Spain
flag msg tools
Sarcasmorator wrote:
The figures for any of the lieutenants in the campaign would end up used, but you can only have one agent and plot deck in a campaign. There's a lot of variety at this point, and other threads here (like mine, here) go into more detail. Pick whichever one you think you'd most like to use as an agent, or whichever has the plot deck you like most.

For the app, having lieutenant packs only adds a chance for a random encounter with an agent as a monster group using the Agent stats (Skarn showing up partway through a quest, for instance). This is independent of the expansions their lieutenant versions appear in, so pick whichever you think you'd like to fight against.


And for RedJak variant?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ozga
msg tools
Picking lieutenant pack really depends what you want from it.
- pure power to crush souls of those who dare to call themselves a hero - go with Gargan Mirklace
Baron Zachareth is also strong but I prefer Gargan miniature more.
- nice looking miniature - go with Valyndra, this is one of best looking miniatures in the whole descent set. Additionally its plot deck is also not bad.
- I just want it to appear in campaign - then go with Merick Farrow / Splig.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solinete wrote:
And for RedJak variant?

Haven't tried it, can't speak to it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.