Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: Session reports of PnP version...not so good? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It seems to me like people who have played the PNP version and reported a session at this forum, don't are overly excited of the gameplay. They mention for example that a lot of time is ued to count the VP.
Any other thoughts on this? Are the rules still being tweeked or are they set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
It's trickier and the factions are more asymmetric than Cthulhu Wars, so it takes a few times to really grasp what you need to do. What I saw in the KS playthroughs was satisfactory enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Piledriver wrote:
It seems to me like people who have played the PNP version and reported a session at this forum, don't are overly excited of the gameplay. They mention for example that a lot of time is ued to count the VP.
Any other thoughts on this? Are the rules still being tweeked or are they set?

I think you're misreading (or they're talking rubbish!) because counting VPs is very quick. 1 per building, 1 per pair of Gifts. Done.

What is longer than Cthulhu Wars is the whole Council PHASE. There's a number of powers which kick in there, and many involve negotiation. It takes a bit of time to go through all that, but this is a GOOD thing. The focus on negotiation and alliances is a definite improvement over Cthulhu Wars.

To be honest, the worst that I can say over Gods War is that it may result in me not playing Cthulhu Wars any longer...

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
What is longer than Cthulhu Wars is the whole Council PHASE. There's a number of powers which kick in there, and many involve negotiation. It takes a bit of time to go through all that, but this is a GOOD thing. The focus on negotiation and alliances is a definite improvement over Cthulhu Wars.

Ewww.

Hm...now I'm thinking I should cancel my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
therealbuserian wrote:

Ewww.

Hm...now I'm thinking I should cancel my pledge.

Huh? I must be saying this wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that in CW, the Doom Phase is pretty dry. You do your bookkeeping, maybe buy a monster, maybe ritual. Most stuff happens in the Action Phase. In Gods War, the Council Phase actually has decisions to make and powers to use. You actually get to interact with other players. It feels more part of the game, rather than the bit you do before the game restarts.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:

Huh? I must be saying this wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that in CW, the Doom Phase is pretty dry. You do your bookkeeping, maybe buy a monster, maybe ritual. Most stuff happens in the Action Phase. In Gods War, the Council Phase actually has decisions to make and powers to use. You actually get to interact with other players. It feels more part of the game, rather than the bit you do before the game restarts.

Cheers,
Graham

Sorry, no, I'm just saying that I don't particularly like negotiation games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Sorry, no, I'm just saying that I don't particularly like negotiation games.

Gods War is exactly as much a negotiation game as Cthulhu Wars, except it extends the ability to bribe and bully your enemies into the Council Phase...

Cheers,
Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played TGW a few times, it's definitely not a negotiation game. It's very much like Cthulhu Wars, just with some explicit negotiation elements, mostly focused in the Council phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Semmen
msg tools
I wouldn't call G:TGW a negotiation game any more than any other war game that has more than two sides. I suggest watching the 5-player video play through by Petersen Games to get an idea of the game. But be advised that they take time to explain rules and avoid simultaneous calculations that experienced players would probably do, so it runs a little slower than a typical game of G:TGW would.

Neither VP's nor Power take long to calculate but in the PnP the buildings can occasionally get hard to see amidst an army of standees (you even see this in the 5-player video). I expect the Buildings expansion will help. The only other issue I've had with the PnP is ambiguity in the way some rules were stated; those have been discussed here.

I've now played twice and the second game everyone enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdamStarks wrote:
Having played TGW a few times, it's definitely not a negotiation game. It's very much like Cthulhu Wars, just with some explicit negotiation elements, mostly focused in the Council phase.

In one way, Gods War is less of a negotiation game, in that it lacks the "you have 1 minute to agree..." powers.

Cheers, Graham

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks everybody, will then probably up my pledge and go all in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
to add my two cents:

The Council Phase is longer than its CW counterpart (Doom Phase), with more abilities and a few more things to handle (Chaos Rift, for example - but that is seen unanimously as a fun and very positive aspect to the game).

However, the truth is that the Action Phase itself ALSO tends to be longer than in CW. It's just a longer game, overall, and in some ways more strategic, as well as more asymmetric. (Does displace CW for me personally, but it certainly feels differently).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.