Hide
7 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Time Keeper rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
One of my little gaming projects is converting my old TTRPG characters into SotM decks. It's hard, as many of them are visually or thematically similar to existing decks, but I'll post a few of the ones that suck the least and expose myself to the hard radiation of anonymous interweb criticism. This one's basically a more support-oriented Tachyon. I'm not sure if I've overdone the hand/deck cycle, or how balanced the card destruction is.

No art for any of these, because I'm not good enough to do it myself and I can't afford to pay a real artist to do dozens of pieces for my little side project. In this case, just imagine an Asian teenager in a Chinese-y outfit looking generally panicked and occasionally smug.

Bio: The monks of the Shaolin Temple were sworn to guard the Mystic Dragon Clock, a jade pocketwatch of incredible power and mysterious origin. But everything changed when the Qing Dynasty attacked. With the monks nearly exterminated, their only hope was a beautiful rude clever village girl who hung around the monks and learned their kung fu (no matter how many times they asked her politely not to). Grabbing the Clock and accidentally falling hundreds of years into the future, Hua Fan Li must defend the relic’s power from sinister secret societies and deadly Chronossassins as the Time Keeper!

TIME KEEPER (26)

Do-Over
(Power) Discard a card. If you do, you may draw two cards.

Incapacitated
- One target regains 1 HP.
- One player may discard their hand, then draw three cards.
- One player may search their trash for a card and place it into their hand.

Equipment (1)

Dragon Clock (1): (Equipment, Relic) At the end of your turn, draw a card. (Power) Draw a card, play a card, and discard a card.

One-Shot (29)

Alternate Timeline (2): (One-Shot) Put a Villain card in play other than a character card on the bottom of the Villain deck. Play the top card of the Villain deck.
“This isn’t better!” - Time Keeper, Tales to Bewilder #8

Anachronism (2): (One-Shot) Destroy up to three Environment cards. Play the top card of the Environment deck.

Catch Your Breath (3): (One-Shot) One player regains 1 HP and draws a card.

Fists of Fury (3): (One-Shot) Time Keeper deals up to 3 targets 2 Melee damage each. If a target takes damage this way, reduce all damage dealt by that target by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Flying Kick (3): (One-Shot) Time Keeper deals one target 2 Melee damage. Draw a card.

Stolen Moment (3): (One-Shot) Draw a card. You may destroy one Ongoing card.

Temple Flashback (2): (One-Shot) Move one card other than Temple Flashback from your trash to your hand. Play a card.

Temporal Scout (3): (One-Shot) Reveal the top three cards of any deck. Return them to the top of the deck in any order.
“You do not wanna go in there. Trust me.” - Time Keeper, HKPD Blues #2

Warning Shout (3): (One-Shot) One player other than you may use a power now.

Wind Up (5): (One-Shot) If Dragon Clock is not in play, search your deck and trash for a copy of Dragon Clock, put it into play, then shuffle your deck. If Dragon Clock is in play, draw two cards.

Ongoing (10)

Flies in Amber (2): (Ongoing, Limited) Discard two cards. If you do, Villain cards cannot be played. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.

Quicktime (2): (Ongoing, Limited) You may play an additional card during your play phase and use an additional power during your power phase. At the start of your turn, destroy this card.
“-ottagofasttoomanythingstodotoday-” - Time Keeper, Young Protectors #1

Revisionist (3): (Ongoing) When a Hero target takes 3 or more damage from a single source, you may destroy this card to prevent that damage.
“No no no, that’s not the way it happened.” - Time Keeper, Tales to Bewilder #8

Ultimate Fist (3): (Ongoing, Limited) (Power) Time Keeper deals one target 1 Melee Damage. Draw a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Webb
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The hero concept here actually has a lot of potential. Very much Prince of Persia Sands of Time-y (I saw what u did there) and could actually do a lot better pulling more from him as a character than from Tachyon (though Tachyon is a good base as she's already in game and gives you a good baseline for conversion).

My biggest concern (and there was another poster here last week who suffered from a similar issue) is that your character has literally nothing to distinguish herself from other heroes. No special mechanics. You don't have to have a Keyword unique to her to make her unique (good examples of these are Wraith and Legacy) but you ARE looking into a pool that is pretty saturated so unique keywords and special mechanics/interactions with said keywords helps a lot.

Try considering what it is that really sets her apart from everyone else, then implement that into her deck and show us what she's really made of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Rosgath wrote:
The hero concept here actually has a lot of potential. Very much Prince of Persia Sands of Time-y (I saw what u did there) and could actually do a lot better pulling more from him as a character than from Tachyon (though Tachyon is a good base as she's already in game and gives you a good baseline for conversion).

My biggest concern (and there was another poster here last week who suffered from a similar issue) is that your character has literally nothing to distinguish herself from other heroes. No special mechanics. You don't have to have a Keyword unique to her to make her unique (good examples of these are Wraith and Legacy) but you ARE looking into a pool that is pretty saturated so unique keywords and special mechanics/interactions with said keywords helps a lot.

Try considering what it is that really sets her apart from everyone else, then implement that into her deck and show us what she's really made of.

I don't want to be too cute, though. I feel like some original decks have novel mechanics for the sake of novelty alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Rosgath was talking about me and since I posted the first half of my decks for the expansion me and a friend are making, I have learned a lot from the community. Novelty alone should not be a worry so much as making the deck fun and feel like it fits a niche of some sort. Dragon Clock should have a downside to balance it if you have no card to discard. Would make it feel less OP and the go to card after emptying the hand.

Revisionist feels like since things are being rewritten, it is a bit strong as you just ignore damage for a character. Revisionist seems a bit like a card you have in one of your other decks you have posted and I felt like it had potential for a neat ability that has not been done before and fits your character. When a villain card is played, you may ignore the effects of the card and discard it. Play the top card of the villain deck. Just an idea. Gives a feel of messing with time can be risky. Like the butterfly effect essentially.

Maybe altering some of your cards to have more of a rewind effect like that to give it the feel it needs, while also giving it a niche of support at a risk. A player may discard the card they drew to draw another card and other such things. Just a thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This is a really cool character, and I like her deck. Current thought: Anachronism seems rather strong (destroying all environment cards is the wheelhouse of villains, normally), I feel like it should have some kind of downside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
The intent was for Alternate Timeline and Anachronism to be balanced by the fact that you're also playing a new card off those decks. You're right in that open-ended Environment destruction might be too much, but if it isn't at least two or three cards you're just cycling out an Environment card and the play is too situational and random to be consistently worthwhile. It's worth tinkering around with the details, but you're rarely going to destroy more than three cards at a time in any case. It's not like you're using them as fuel for anything, as with Omnitron and Akash'bhuta.

As for Revisionist, compare to Synaptic Response or Flak Vest. There are plenty of ablative cards that eat a hit outright, and even ones that send the hit somewhere else. Not restricting the activation to hits of 3+ damage is probably an oversight on my part, but the ability to waste the card on small hits doesn't seem like much of an upgrade.

I'm not sure that Dragon Clock's power is too far out of line. It might be more that the passive effect negates the disadvantage, where using the power without the extra draw puts you at negative hand size for the turn (two plays, two draws, and a discard).

Prospective changes are that Anachronism only destroys three cards (I think that's actually a reversion), Revisionist only eats 3+ damage hits, and Dragon Clock doesn't give you a free draw per turn.

Although I'm concerned that older versions of the character got really hungry for cards, and that's probably why I gave Dragon Clock the bonus draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
Changelog 29OCT16

Revisionist now only works on instances of 3 damage or more.

Temporal Scout was changed to be a One-Shot.

Dragon Clock no longer has an End-of-Turn effect.

Anachronism now has a limit of three Environment cards destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.