Hide
4 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Custom Hero - Haymaker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brain craft
msg tools
I'm not sure that I'm satisfied with this one. The mechanic of discarding cards to pump damage went through several iterations, and none of them felt completely right to me. This was the simplest version, so it has that going for it.

I'm mildly proud of the cascading self-card destruction synergy. Should Loose Cannon be an Ongoing? I really don't know.

In art terms, she's more like a militarized state trooper than a proper superhero. Cocky woman with short brown hair; armor vest and big ol' aviators are the most conspicuous costume features. The monocycle looks like the ones from Venus Wars.

Bio: State Trooper Payton Walker comes from a family of cops. She knew she was gonna kick bad guy ass for a living even before she discovered her innate ability to project explosive energy. She knew she could bide her time and work her way up through the ranks, the same way her blasts got stronger the longer she held on to them. But when it came out that she had superpowers, she became a superstar supercop in her home state of Georgia. Some say that she’s just getting special treatment because of her mutation, but Walker believes her long record of punching out drug dealers and supervillains speaks for itself. Justice has a name, and it’s Haymaker!

HAYMAKER (27)

Charged Blast
(Power) Discard up to 3 cards. Haymaker deals one target X+1 Energy damage, where X = the number of cards discarded this way.

Incapacitated
- One player may draw 1 card now.
- One player may play a card now.
- One player may deal one target 1 Energy damage now.

Equipment (8)

Armor Vest (2): (Equipment, Limited) If Haymaker would be dealt 3 or more damage from a single source, prevent that damage and destroy this card.
“This still hurts!” - Haymaker, Crimebusters #5

Mirrorshades (2): (Equipment, Limited) If this card is destroyed, you may draw up to 3 cards immediately. (Power) Destroy this card.
“You’ve made a terrible mistake.” - Haymaker, Crimebusters #2

Monocycle (2): (Equipment, Limited) You may use an additional power during your power phase. (Power) Deal one target 2 Melee and 2 Fire damage, then destroy this card.

The Badge (2): (Equipment, Limited) If this card is destroyed, you may play a card immediately. (Power) Destroy this card.
“Something Justice something-or-other.” - Haymaker, Haymaker one-shot

One-Shot (17)

Final Flash (2): (One-Shot) Discard your hand. Haymaker deals one target X+4 irreducible Energy damage, where X = the number of cards discarded. Immediately end your turn.
“Lemme show you why I’m the law ‘round these parts.” - Haymaker, World Class #6

Fireworks (3): (One-Shot) Haymaker may deal up to three targets 1 Energy damage each.

Loose Cannon (2): (One-Shot) Until the start of your next turn, increase all damage dealt by Haymaker by 2 and all damage dealt to Haymaker by 2. If The Badge is in play, destroy it.
“I’m taking you off the case!” - Cpt. Richter, Crimebusters #3

Maverick Tactics (3): (One-Shot) Draw two cards.

Take Cover (3): (One-Shot) Draw a card. Reduce all damage Haymaker takes by 1 until the start of your next turn.

Trading Hits (2): (One-Shot) Choose one non-Hero target. That target deals Haymaker 2 Melee damage, then Haymaker deals that target 2 Melee damage and 2 Energy damage. If Mirrorshades is in play, destroy it.
“You’re gonna get tired of this before I do.” - Haymaker, Crimebusters #2

Call For Backup (2): (One-Shot) Choose one other Hero. That Hero may deal one non-Hero target 2 Melee or Projectile damage.

Ongoing (15)

Charging Up (3): (Ongoing, Limited) You may draw an additional card during your draw phase.
“Imma chargin’ mah lazor!” - Haymaker, pretty much every issue she appears in

Counter Blast (2): (Ongoing) When a target deals damage to Haymaker, you may reduce that damage by 2, and Haymaker deals that target 2 Energy damage. If you do so, destroy this card.

Curb Stomp (3): (Ongoing, Limited) (Power) Haymaker deals one target 1 Melee damage. Draw a card.

Drop the Bomb (2): (Ongoing, Limited) (Power) Discard up to 4 cards. Deal each non-Hero target X Energy damage, where X = the number of cards discarded this way.

Excessive Force (3): (Ongoing, Limited) Increase all damage dealt by Haymaker by 1.
“Are you kidding? This is the best part!” - Haymaker, Crimebusters #1

Explosive Uppercut (2): (Ongoing, Limited) (Power) Discard up to 3 cards. Haymaker deals one target 2 Melee damage and X Energy damage, with X = the number of cards discarded this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Love the mechanic of the deck as well as the flavor. I do feel that some of the names of the cards could be tweaked a little, but that is my opinion, but overall like the deck. Play wise, I feel it needs a little adjusting in the quantities of the cards, but hard to say which ones to decrease for some to be increased. Maybe reduce Charging Up to put in 1 more Maverick Tactics, and Switch out 1 Excessive Force for another Take Cover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brain craft
msg tools
My logic was that she needs lots of copies of key Ongoings to ensure they come up, and it's fine to have extras of Limited cards because she's planning on discarding most of her hands anyway. It's anyone's guess as to how much that logic holds up, since I've only done minimal playtesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
This one, I really like. I definitely think Loose Cannon should be an Ongoing, with start-of-turn destruction, and I'd suggest swapping it with Drop the Bomb, since that acts more like Cricket's Chirp, which is a pretty devastating one-shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.